PDA

View Full Version : Location Descriptions

Raikkejn
07-07-2011, 01:31 AM
Really enjoy the visuals and gameplay of Brotherhood. However, I must lodge a complaint in the smallest hope that it might get corrected in Revelations. In moving about Rome and reading about the sights, in some places it's as if one is accompanied by an ignorant snot-nosed brat who has to condescendingly throw in Dan Brown type "facts" in order to show how above it all he is. So for instance, at the bridge Ponte Emilio we learn that it couldn't be repaired because all the money is going into Pope Clement VIII's "execution fund."

Seriously? Pope Clement VIII had an execution fund? Or is this another Da Vinci Code type "fact" which on actual examination turns out to be false? Or perhaps it's some type of humor which does nothing but pull away from the enjoyment of the game and makes one wonder what anti-Catholic Wunderkind wrote these up in the first place, despite Ubisoft's disclaimer that people of various faiths and beliefs all had a hand in developing the game?

Or in the text for the Basilica di Santa Maria in Ara Coeli the architect supposedly claimed that climbing the 124 steps on his knees would absolve a Catholic of all his sins. This is annoying on several levels. First, did the architect actually say that? Second, climbing steps on one's knees would be a penance for sins, not an absolution (and it certainly couldn't be proclaimed to be so by an architect). Thirdly, the follow on zinger, "Lord knows, I'd rather have murder on my knees than on my hands" is a denigration of the practice of penance and absolution (or so it seems to me--see ignorant snot-nosed brat reference above).

Thus, Ubisoft, if you're describing a location please stick to actual historical fact. I enjoy reading about the different locations and don't really want to have to separate the wheat from the chaff as if I'm reading Angels and Demons or The Da Vinci Code all over again. Secondly, I don't mind humor at all, but when it seems to denigrate a particular Faith based on ignorance, that tends to get old really fast and takes away from the enjoyment of the game. Plus it seems ironic that, since the Rome we are exploring was, despite all its faults, a city built in the context of Catholicism, we have these digs at it when much of the beauty of European cities, the art, and the architecture came into being in the context of Catholic civilization. If it were built by moderns I suppose we'd all be running around shopping malls or parking lots and your game wouldn't look nearly as good.

Best wishes on your next project.

Brennan

TheLeoCrow
07-07-2011, 07:30 AM
As far as I remember, those descriptions were written by Shaun, therefore this tone is just keeping him in character. Those texts were meant to be informative but they were also meant to be entertaining, otherwise most people would complain that if they wanted to read about those stuff, they would read more history books.
That's just my opinion though, maybe some mod or someone who works for ubisoft would give a very different responce

Raikkejn
07-08-2011, 02:36 AM
Thanks for the response. I checked into it, and it seems you are correct. And since I find his character somewhat snotty and annoying I guess some of the database entries are in keeping with his personality. Thanks for the help.

Mr_Shade
07-08-2011, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by TheLeoCrow:

That's just my opinion though, maybe some mod or someone who works for ubisoft would give a very different responce That's my understanding of it too..