PDA

View Full Version : Sorta OT: A question about something I've found...

squadldr76
03-09-2006, 01:53 PM
Has anybody ever heard of the a mini-series called "Piece of Cake"? I was roaming around Amazon for "Dark Blue World" and came across this one and it sounded very interesting.

Does anybody know anything about it and if it'd be worth the price to obtain a copy?

ytareh
03-09-2006, 02:13 PM
I remember once catching the last hour or so of a WW2/RAF drama featuring Joanna Lumley...is this the one you are talking about?

boxduty
03-09-2006, 02:48 PM
It's based on the novel by Derek Robinson.
I havn't seen it, but if its as good as the book, it should be good...

Wild.Bill.Kelso
03-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Looks like it's been remade a few times. You can find out more about it at the Internet Movie Database here: http://imdb.com/find?s=all&q=Piece+of+Cake

squadldr76
03-09-2006, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by ytareh:
I remember once catching the last hour or so of a WW2/RAF drama featuring Joanna Lumley...is this the one you are talking about?

I've looked at the cast list and didn't see that name, so I'm not sure. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

TSmoke
03-09-2006, 07:20 PM
It's a fairly old mini series. Seen it, nothing really special. If it's on the tube I'd watch it again but to purchase it? Nope.

But everyone has different tastes.

Blottogg
03-09-2006, 08:29 PM
I've got the 1988 BBC miniseries on DVD. Overall I liked it, but it's got its rough edges. The series covers a ficticious RAF squadron through the phoney war, the Battle of France, and most of the way through the Battle of Britain. The aircraft are Spitfires (mostly MkIX's, instead of earlier models or Hurricanes as in the book, owing to availibility), and a lot of the characters are typical WWII cliche (the aristocractic, incompetant peacetime commander, the coward, the survivor out for himself, etc.) Rent it first if you can, but just seeing a handful of Spits in the air together is worth it in my opinion. Cliche or not, a lot of the characters are interesting too, and it covers a portion of the war that doesn't get much coverage, though I can't vouch for it's historical accuracy.

-HH-Dubbo
03-09-2006, 09:36 PM
Great mini-series if you compliment it with the book. The book is beautiful and although the mini-series does deviate a bit (particularly with the Spitfires) it does a great job putting the book into moving pictures. (The mini-series also borrowed a lot of footage from The Battle of Britain)

Highly recommend it. But buy the book as well.

arcadeace
03-09-2006, 10:37 PM
I saw it here in the States and enjoyed it as well.

Tiger27
03-09-2006, 11:12 PM
Great book, mini series isnt to bad.

CombatAce_MK2
03-09-2006, 11:41 PM
I loved the DVD set I got from Amazon. I too had never heard of it ,got it, and loved it.

ddsflyer
03-10-2006, 12:29 PM
I have it, its very good if not terribly realistic as far as A/C is concerned, but what really are anyway. (Spit Mk IX's flying in the Battle of Britain). Good storyline and plenty of aircraft shots.