PDA

View Full Version : Ha! Another Surprise from Oleg's Damage Model.

Treetop64
07-15-2010, 06:28 PM
Partial hydraulic failure. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Got shot up a just little bit in the Yak-1 while attacking Ju-88s west of Moscow. I wasn't hit bad, though, and the aircraft didn't seem affected in any way. I proceeded to shoot one of Junkers down during the encounter.

Back at the airfield, as I was setting up to land, I dropped the flaps one notch, and listened as the hydraulic pressure helped them down. Then I pulled the gear handle down...

...and nothing happened.

I tried again, but still nothing. I then checked the flaps by raising and lowering them, and their good operation was confirmed by the sounds of the hydraulic pressure and the changes in the aircraft's attitude. So I checked the gear again, and still nothing.

I had to go around and get set up for the approach again, and during this time I was able to successfully lower the gear, but I had to do it manually! For the first time in the six years that I've flown in this sim, I've had to lower the gear with the emergency hydraulic lever.

The landing went smoothly.

I have to admit that I was pretty amazed by that! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

AndyJWest
07-15-2010, 06:33 PM
Yup, I've had that too, occasionally. If I remember correctly, on some twins , the hydraulics are linked to one engine, so if you lose it the gear doesn't work. A nice touch. The modders (best not <STRIKE>sas</STRIKE> say where) are doing some interesting stuff related to this too, I think...

Fogmaster_
07-15-2010, 06:56 PM
what plane were you flying? There's an emergency hydraulic lever?!

what is it bound to? Manual Gear Down?

Wildnoob
07-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Fogmaster_:
what plane were you flying? There's an emergency hydraulic lever?!

what is it bound to? Manual Gear Down?

Yes.

Treetop64
07-15-2010, 08:06 PM
I was flying the model 1940 Yak-1. There's no lever visually modeled in the cockpit of the Yak-1 (there is one in the LaGG-3), but most warbirds with hydraulic systems had a manual pump lever in the cockpit. In the game this is bound to the same key that manually raises and lowers the gear.

WTE_Galway
07-15-2010, 09:49 PM
There are always little details that pop up that surprise you. Things that caught my eye over the years and surprised me when I first noticed them include:

- The way the LAGG 3 temperature light stays lit with a cold start until the engine warms up to a safe operating temp (it comes back on again if you overheat it).

- The radiator cowl indicator on the Hurri down near your feet that moves as you change radiator settings.

- more recently while flying the B534, the way the left/right brake pressure gauges react correctly to differential braking (the ability to open the canopy also caught me by surprise)

Ba5tard5word
07-15-2010, 09:57 PM
Yeah this has happened to me a few times where I get shot up a bit and my gear won't work so I have to manually lower it.

At least there's a solution for that...once recently in a co-op mission I went to lower my gear and realized that I only had one landing gear, somehow the other one got shot off at some point.

DrHerb
07-15-2010, 09:58 PM
I've had to manually pump the gear a few times in the P-47.

Treetop64
07-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
- The way the LAGG 3 temperature light stays lit with a cold start until the engine warms up to a safe operating temp (it comes back on again if you overheat it).

I've always liked that about the in-game LaGGs, and it's part of the reason I fly them as much as I do. I let it idle at 1000RPM and wait for the light to go out before I roll her down the runway.

The temp light, separate dials for oil and radiator temps - and in later marks of the LaGGs, glycol temps, and the fact that they indicate accurately, makes this sort of a great instrument plane to fly in. Not so much for IMC, but you can accurately monitor how the engine is doing in this bird.

Not like many radial-engined birds in the sim, whose oil temp indicators swing right past the green and beyond the peg, unless you're at half throttle and the cowl flaps are full open.

Oh, and the "Coolant Temp" gauges in the F6F... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

WTE_Galway
07-15-2010, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Treetop64:

The temp light, separate dials for oil and radiator temps - and in later marks of the LaGGs, glycol temps, and the fact that they indicate accurately, makes this sort of a great instrument plane to fly in.

yeah, one of the reasons I like the the b534 is that aside from the 3 in 1 Dunlop brake gauge it has separate oil (red) and water (blue) temp gauges as well as oil (red) and fuel (yellow) pressure. Though it does have one whacky gauge on the left a bit like a volt meter that sits around 7 or 8 on the dial that I haven't identified yet.

The good gauges together with a working radiator cowl lever, ammo indication and elevator trim indicator mean the B534 is a great candidate for flying with the HUD (LHS) text turned off.

M_Gunz
07-15-2010, 11:27 PM
It would be nice to have systems manuals (even super-game versions) for each plane to show what's up and how failures may be dealt with. You have gear damage that doesn't affect flap operation and allows manual gear lowering and locking.. how many ways that can happen? What parts are hydraulic and require pressurized fluid to operate that may have leaked out through damage to another hydraulic part or line in the same system and which run on separate lines, tank and motor and which have mechanical backup to allow cranking down when the fluid/lines are gone? The real pilots would have access to such info and more. Details like these would probably be wasted on the average gamer though.

JtD
07-15-2010, 11:48 PM
Weren't flaps on Yaks pneumatic, gear hydraulic?

M_Gunz
07-16-2010, 01:58 AM
Exactly, JtD. Even when you can find historic data, it sometimes changed with improvements or fixes anyway. A game systems manual would tell what is being modeled, how it is to be operated. I bet they have those for trains!

ROXunreal
07-16-2010, 04:06 AM
I like how sometimes after being damaged in the 109 you cannot reduce throttle or set prop pitch. Very rare though, didn't even know about this until a few months ago

Swivet
07-16-2010, 08:59 AM
Pretty cool when you have an encounter like that and realize "wow how realistic this sim is" So many times i've forgotten about manual gear down.

VW-IceFire
07-16-2010, 10:57 PM
Has anyone had this? I was flying a Ju-88A-4 and I had sustained several hits in a run in with a Spitfire while over the target. Some light to medium damage sustained to the aircraft.

On returning to base the flaps refused to deploy (as did the gear). I know the Ju-88 has a auto flap protection system that I'm well aware of ... but this was interesting that they did not respond.

DKoor
07-17-2010, 12:39 AM
Regarding damage model, I've experienced it all in Il-2.
They shot me up in every way imaginable http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif .
I even got shot down by friendly ordnance (bombs) in mid air.
I remember first time when I saw gear failure, can't really recall what made me pump the "manually lower gear" key but as I did it I was under really good impression about this game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif .

Daiichidoku
07-17-2010, 09:56 AM
having "hydralic failure" and resorting to manual emergency gear extension is cool...happened to me a few times in Jugs

but then, when you think about it, it's acually quite LAME, in that only the types that have provisions for a "manual" or "emergency" gear extension are the only types that suffer damage that will knock out any "regular/auto" gear extension

why cant the types without emergency gear extension recieve damage that will disable thier landing gear?

the execution of it is fine, its the application that bugs the frack outta me

WTE_Galway
07-17-2010, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Daiichidoku:
having "hydralic failure" and resorting to manual emergency gear extension is cool...happened to me a few times in Jugs

but then, when you think about it, it's acually quite LAME, in that only the types that have provisions for a "manual" or "emergency" gear extension are the only types that suffer damage that will knock out any "regular/auto" gear extension

why cant the types without emergency gear extension recieve damage that will disable thier landing gear?

Well also with some types like the he111 the gear actually automatically dropped when hydraulic damage occurred.

DKoor
07-18-2010, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daiichidoku:

Well also with some types like the he111 the gear actually automatically dropped when hydraulic damage occurred. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>+1

Can't wait to see sow and how it gets implemented there.

Erkki_M
07-18-2010, 01:53 AM
I like the jamming throttle leveler too(in at least 109s, 190s, Yaks, Las, P47, F4U, F6F).

Wildnoob
07-18-2010, 09:52 AM
The Stuka had an interesting feature: explosive charges to blow the landing gear in case of a forced landing or if one gear was lost.

This would be a nice - and very simple I guess - feature that TD could implemented.

WTE_Galway
07-18-2010, 05:17 PM
Another feature i had never realized was there until recently is the trains sounds including the sound of the train blowing a steam whistle as they approach crossings and stations.

Treetop64
07-19-2010, 12:36 AM
That is cool. Didn't know that. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif