PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Ping

drose01
06-11-2005, 08:44 AM
Having recently moved and lost my high speed internet connection, I am now forced to use a 56 K modem for online play.

I tried for the first time last night and noticed that my ping on all the servers I tried was high, at least 250 and usually over 300.

I have a few questions...

Does playing with a high ping hurt gameplay in a noticeable way?

What settings can I use to minimize my high ping?

Do different servers have different autokick thresholds for ping? (one in particular would boot me at the drop of a hat, while others seemed to be more forgiving)

drose01
06-11-2005, 08:44 AM
Having recently moved and lost my high speed internet connection, I am now forced to use a 56 K modem for online play.

I tried for the first time last night and noticed that my ping on all the servers I tried was high, at least 250 and usually over 300.

I have a few questions...

Does playing with a high ping hurt gameplay in a noticeable way?

What settings can I use to minimize my high ping?

Do different servers have different autokick thresholds for ping? (one in particular would boot me at the drop of a hat, while others seemed to be more forgiving)

Taylortony
06-11-2005, 10:37 AM
I would set the game to the lowest setting in connection, ie in broadband i have it at 56k, this reduces the amount of info that is transmitted both ways and speeds it up, look for servers that have skins disabled that will improve speed too. try to find servers in your country as opposed to the US ones...... only trouble you might find with high pings is lag. you may see a few planes zoom and boom as the packet catches up and updates your position, saying that i ran the game for a year quite easily on 56k and used to host on UbiCom.... turning down your graphics settings would help a bit to as well as shutting down any junk programs that are running on your pc...

Bet you could cry now when you log on http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif