PDA

View Full Version : AI torpedo planes attack

Riper-Snifle
09-08-2005, 10:53 AM
I was setting up a mission in Full Mission Builder and I was unable to figure out how to get the AI torpedo planes to attack ships. I set the flight mission from Normfly to Gattack, but this just causes the torpedo plane to drop the torpedo immediatley on beginning the mission. Any idea's on how to program the AI planes to make torpedo runs against enemy ships?? thank you

Kuna15
09-08-2005, 11:00 AM
I have setup a few missions like that. First I set take off waypoint, then first waypoint and few more if neccesary en route to target (to avoid fighter controlled zone or flak zone ...) then I setup one waypoint before enemy ship I plan for AI to attack with torpedo. To this waypoint I assign GAttack. Also I didn't set too high alt for AI torpedo bomber flight.
After that a few more waypoint to home ending with landing waypoint.

Scharnhorst1943
09-08-2005, 11:14 AM
It is the same as setting takeoff point to a carrier. When setting up your gattack waypt, you have to set the target to the particular ship you want to attack, just like selecting which carrier you want to takeoff from under the takeoff waypt.

Zeus-cat
09-08-2005, 05:56 PM
"How do I get the AI to drop a torpedo on target?"

Getting AI to drop torpedoes is tough. I made a 30 mission torpedo bomber campaign for the IL-2T. Here are some hints:

1. Use a long, straight run to the target (several km).

2. Use only slight turns, if any.

3. Drop height slowly on the planes. My max height for torp bombers at any time was 500m.

4. Start the attack run at 250m altitude.

5. With only 2 or 3 waypoints, drop the altitude to 50m (or as low as 20m) with no sudden drops. Do this over several kms.

6. Attack the starboard side of ships if possible. The AI prefer the starboard (right) side (they used to and I assume they still do).

7. Drop the torpedoes at a good distance (approximately 200m for freighters, 500m for large warships).

8. After dropping, keep the planes on course for a short distance; no sudden turns.

9. You can alter the planes course with the second waypoint after dropping.

Zeus-cat