PDA

View Full Version : A thought about gun cameras...

F16_Neo
12-03-2005, 09:38 AM
...is if they only were used by US/RAF & LW?
How did other nations - like Japan and Soviet - confirm kills?
Or didn't they?
So far I've seen clips from RAF, US, Germany, but never Japanese or Russian (except from short sequences in that russian "propaganda" movie - in which I suspect most guncamera shots are western, or from lend-lease planes).
Anyone got knowledge?

Doolittle81
12-03-2005, 03:11 PM
Thre were NO Japanese Guncameras.

As for confirmations, I don't know. Maybe they just trusted the post-mission reports of the pilots claiming kills?

vanjast
12-03-2005, 03:39 PM
Japan and the Soviets, at the time were not a nation full of 'individualists'. This is a good example..

"Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country"

Something like this, that sucks on the very aspect of free thought. Nationlism is a very dangerous thingy...

As he dives for cover, while keeping that middle finger in the air..
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

berg417448
12-03-2005, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by F16_Neo:
...is if they only were used by US/RAF & LW?
How did other nations - like Japan and Soviet - confirm kills?
Or didn't they?
So far I've seen clips from RAF, US, Germany, but never Japanese or Russian (except from short sequences in that russian "propaganda" movie - in which I suspect most guncamera shots are western, or from lend-lease planes).
Anyone got knowledge?

Soviet kill claim procedure:

To get an individual claim, you had to:

1) have an independent witness, not part of your flight, or part of that combat engagement (ground observer, another flight nearby, etc.).
2) OR, have the wreckage of the victim on the ground
3) AND demonstrate that your actions alone were responsible for the claim.

From what I've read, the Japanese system was not so formalized.
After a mission, each pilot reported the circumstances of his combat, his success, etc., to his superior. The superior summed up the reports of all his pilots.
There was no operations or intelligence officer whose job it was to evaluate the unit's results. Instead, it was probably an NCO who wrote the combat reports.

GreyFox5
12-03-2005, 08:35 PM
I read I think or heard that the IJN awarded "kills" to the squadron - everyone got credit - no individual was awarded a kill.

HotelBushranger
12-04-2005, 02:35 AM
I doubt it. Otherwise you wouldn't get aces like Saburo Sakai (spelling?). But you no who I mean.