PDA

View Full Version : IL2 FB HW requirements

erixoooon
05-25-2005, 07:21 AM
Hi there, I've got an P4 1.6GHz, 512MB RAM with Matrox Millenium G450 (32MB) and I'm curious about a performance of IL2 Forgotten Battles on that computer. My biggest concern is about that graphic adapter which is not realy high performance. However min. requirements say 3D Accelerator 32MB RAM. So, could I go for IL2 FB or should I stick with original IL2 ?
Thanx E.

-HH- Beebop
05-25-2005, 07:39 AM
erixoooon;

Welcome to the forums. You've come to the right place to ask questions.

With your system as described, either version would benefit from upgrading. Your biggest immediate bottleneck is RAM and your graphics card. Double your RAM if you can. You really need a better GPU. ATI 9800 Pro's are fairly inexpensive now if cost is an object. If not go for an "X" card from either ATI or nVidia. (I used to be an nVidia user but since I switched I'm not sure what an equivelent card to the 9800 Pro would be, a G4/5700 perhps?
The CPU is adequate, I ran FB/AEP on a 1.7 for a while), but moving up to a 3.0 or better would be a big help.

The game will run, just barely, on your system. You will need to lower most all your graphic settings and in that respect you will be missing oh so much that this game has to offer.

jessi1
05-25-2005, 07:40 AM
I think you will definately need more ram, most here have 1 gig or more, 1gig is plenty usually to play the game nicely, someone will come along and explain to you better what you may need but for sure buy another stick of 512 ram. Salute

JG27_Stacko
05-25-2005, 07:59 AM
triple your ram if you can... And you'll need a better graphics card.

more info can be found here...

http://www.war-clouds.net/articles.php?lng=en&pg=236

A lot of testing went into it, so its pretty legit.

-HH-Quazi
05-25-2005, 08:24 AM
I've played using only 512mb ram for a very long while. I started out playing both FB and the original IL2 with only 256mb ram. The upgrade to 512mb was like turning on a light switch in a dark room. So as your ram is now, it's playable. The big stumbling block right now is your video card. The important ability of the video card is how much ram it has. Nothing less than 128mb is acceptable to play this sim reasonably well with the rest of your rig. Some m8's are using only 64mb on their video card. So, if $$$ is a problem, then at least a 64mb card is at least twice the card you have now. But really, $$$ shouldn't be an issue because there are some great cards available for under $100.

If $$$ isn't an issue, an X800XL is an awesome 16 pixel pipelined card. Some may say that this is bad advice because you are cpu bound a bit, but, it isn't as much as some would lead you to believe. This card along with a cpu upgrade would blow you away, even with only 512mb ram. But as cheap as memory is these days, it wouldn't take much to get the magic 1GB of memory.

Bottomline, imho, your video card is the biggest item holding you up as it is now. Just my penny.