PDA

View Full Version : New to IL-2 FB and AEP

Sherman8r
07-26-2005, 09:34 AM
Hi all

I'm a new IL-2 FB'er, although i have played the origional IL-2 before with great interest. To quickly get up to date and join the online flight simmers, what do i need to download? ALso i'm very curious, do i actually need the origional IL-2 to play FB? or is FB a full game in itself? This has gotten me very confused, and i know it will sound like a very silly question.

Also is there a very large Australian IL-2 community? i've been looking around a bit and found quite a few fan sights, but i'm not sure how many ppl there would be. I hope there are a few so i can make the best of the multi-player in this game as distance is the main problem in Aussie multiplayer games.

Regards

Sherman8r

blairgowrie
07-26-2005, 09:38 AM
Try this thread. Tully did a great job explaining it all.

Happy flying.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/3131089933

HoldSteady641
07-26-2005, 09:56 AM
oh ya, and don't forget: as soon as you get a bit established and all, there is the required thread starting about how great the Lighting was and how it is underrated in game mechanics, or the total opposite: how awfully good it performes while it shouldn't. We like pilot instruction manuals too, forged or not, underlining your argument and a bit of octane theory as well.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif welcome

NorrisMcWhirter
07-26-2005, 02:02 PM
Welcome. What you need to do now is to flip a coin (or just base it on nationalism) and pick either red or blue because you will be required to 'fight for your side' in the numerous 'whining' threads that will appear.

It's a war of attrition but, more importantly, they who whine the loudest and longest often get game patches to favour them. It's happened in the past and the developer has even commented on it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Oh, and occasionally, you may get away to play the game.

Ta,
Norris

MEGILE
07-26-2005, 02:22 PM
I say go Blue.. Nazis always did have smart Uniforms.
I never liked the Soviet Uniforms.. the officers have to wear those silly hats.

Tully__
07-26-2005, 08:25 PM
The link Blairgowrie gave includes good version/patch info.

There are plenty of Aussies flying the full merged version. If you're having trouble finding AEP try Harvey Norman, they usually have it (or the Gold Pack which includes it).

Don't worry too much about not being able to find Aussie servers, this game is much more tolerant of higher pings than most shooter type games. I'm an Aussie and fly mostly online, but rarely on Aussie servers. Most servers based in North America will give good performance as will a few of the better European servers. Poor performance in this game is more often caused by poor quality connections or overloaded servers than by pings being a little high. As long as you have a stable connection and better than about 350ms ping you should be fine.

Sherman8r
07-27-2005, 02:28 AM
Ahh cool that sounds good...

Thanks for the many replies...

Sadly i'm still waiting for the delivery of my game pack and the joystick... may be up to 2 weeks, hope not though.

HoldSteady641
07-27-2005, 03:49 AM
'nuf time to pick a side. You like german uniforms or Russian hats?