PDA

View Full Version : How to improve?

Nureddin
03-11-2004, 02:21 AM
I have been playing FB for some time but i cant seem to improve my flying and fighting skill beyond the basic level. I can take off, do some basic manouvers and on a good day even land. But in combat I really suck. I always get trapped in the turn-around dogfighting, lose my E and become a sitting duck. Any suggestions on how to train. Any good tutorials on the net? (i have searched in vain). What plain should i stick to as a noob? Any comments much welcome.

Nureddin
03-11-2004, 02:21 AM
I have been playing FB for some time but i cant seem to improve my flying and fighting skill beyond the basic level. I can take off, do some basic manouvers and on a good day even land. But in combat I really suck. I always get trapped in the turn-around dogfighting, lose my E and become a sitting duck. Any suggestions on how to train. Any good tutorials on the net? (i have searched in vain). What plain should i stick to as a noob? Any comments much welcome.

blabla0001
03-11-2004, 02:26 AM
Do you also play online?

If you do I suggest you join a Squadron.

Most have a training program for new members.

RossC0
03-11-2004, 03:47 AM
Any other hints / tips / pearls of wisdom ??

I would love to be good at dog fighting - but at the moment I've yet to shoot anyone down when playing on line - and have been shot down loads!

blabla0001
03-11-2004, 04:09 AM
1) Always try to gain more altitude before you engage enemy fighters, altitude will save your life and you have a more relaxed flight and you will be able to bounce your enemy instead of getting bounced by them.
Altitude will also give you the initiative during airial combat, you will decide when the fight starts instead of your opponent.

2) Maintain your speed, speed is life.
When you have a higher speed then your enemy during airial combat you can disengage at will and it's you that decides when the combat is going to continue instead of your opponent.

3) Never turn with an enemy unless your 100% positive you can turn inside him, you will loose speed and energy fast during long susstained turns so if you do, do not turn too long.
Make sure you have more energy then your opponent during a turn fight so instead of keeping on turning with your opponent you disengage, climb and re-engage when your opponent stops turning, this way you will have the initiative again due to your altitude advantage while your opponents is still in a defensive position against your offensive position.

4) Keep track of your squadmates, never chase after a running enemy.
Stay with your squadmates or you will find yourself lost or alone against multiple enemy planes.

5) When in battle.
And you have hit your opponent so that he's is loosing altitude, never chase him towards the ground. When you are tempted to follow your opponent to see if he will crash, the enemy will have an advantage over you and will chase you immediatelly.
So keep altitude and look after your six and find another target.

6) When you spot a flight of 2 or more enemy aircraft, always engage the one on the rear first.
In a flight of 2 this is the wingman, without his wingman the leader is more vulnerable.
When you engage the leader first nine out of ten times his wingman is on your six.

7) When attacking bombers get to know their blind spots...it takes just one hit to take you down... e.g. a Stuka it's protected by a reargunner but when u attack from under or side the gunner can't get a fix on you. Frontal is very tricky and in case of a fighter a very very bad idea.

8) You can also attack German bombers like the He111, Ju88 and Stuka from above with a so called Boom & Zoom attack.
The gunnery positions on these type of planes cannot fire straight up, unlike most of the Allied bombers with a top mounted rotating turret.

9) To check your six you just view over your left or right shoulder via the pov hat view and apply rudder to swing your tail left or right to check your direct six.
As for the rear view mirror, as soon as you can see and identify an enemy plane in your rear view mirror it's too late for you anyway.

Bartsimpson-
03-11-2004, 04:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cappadocian_317:
1) Always try to gain more altitude before you engage enemy fighters, altitude will save your life and you have a more relaxed flight and you will be able to bounce your enemy instead of getting bounced by them.
Altitude will also give you the initiative during airial combat, you will decide when the fight starts instead of your opponent.

2) Maintain your speed, speed is life.
When you have a higher speed then your enemy during airial combat you can disengage at will and it's you that decides when the combat is going to continue instead of your opponent.

3) Never turn with an enemy unless your 100% positive you can turn inside him, you will loose speed and energy fast during long susstained turns so if you do, do not turn too long.
Make sure you have more energy then your opponent during a turn fight so instead of keeping on turning with your opponent you disengage, climb and re-engage when your opponent stops turning, this way you will have the initiative again due to your altitude advantage while your opponents is still in a defensive position against your offensive position.

4) Keep track of your squadmates, never chase after a running enemy.
Stay with your squadmates or you will find yourself lost or alone against multiple enemy planes.

5) When in battle.
And you have hit your opponent so that he's is loosing altitude, never chase him towards the ground. When you are tempted to follow your opponent to see if he will crash, the enemy will have an advantage over you and will chase you immediatelly.
So keep altitude and look after your six and find another target.

6) When you spot a flight of 2 or more enemy aircraft, always engage the one on the rear first.
In a flight of 2 this is the wingman, without his wingman the leader is more vulnerable.
When you engage the leader first nine out of ten times his wingman is on your six.

7) When attacking bombers get to know their blind spots...it takes just one hit to take you down... e.g. a Stuka it's protected by a reargunner but when u attack from under or side the gunner can't get a fix on you. Frontal is very tricky and in case of a fighter a very very bad idea.

8) You can also attack German bombers like the He111, Ju88 and Stuka from above with a so called Boom & Zoom attack.
The gunnery positions on these type of planes cannot fire straight up, unlike most of the Allied bombers with a top mounted rotating turret.

9) To check your six you just view over your left or right shoulder via the pov hat view and apply rudder to swing your tail left or right to check your direct six.
As for the rear view mirror, as soon as you can see and identify an enemy plane in your rear view mirror it's too late for you anyway.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could'nt have put it better myself good post

Bartman

http://www.nightbomber.com/forums/images2004/header_right.gif

arcadeace
03-11-2004, 05:02 AM
Boy I don't even fly online and I enjoyed reading them. Very well put http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Dmitri9mm
03-11-2004, 05:32 AM
My advise is simple:
Try flying the FW 190 for a while preferrably online.
That will teach you one or two things about respecting the limitations of your aircraft. Then move on to other a/c and you'll see that it is possible to learn exactly how far you can pull each plane type.
At all times avoid the white wingtip-smoke, and allways give your plane a rest to pick up speed after some intense turn n' burn.

Tully__
03-11-2004, 05:43 AM
Read the articles at SimHQ Air Combat Library (http://www.simhq.com/_air/acc_library.html), particularly the series titled "It's All a Matter of Perspective". The rest of the articles are also useful, even those aimed at jet sim flyers.

=================================================

http://members.optusnet.com.au/tully_78th/Corsair.jpg (http://www.mudmovers.com/sturmovik_101/FAQ.htm)

IL2 Forums Moderator
Forum Terms of Use (http://www.ubi.com/US/Info/TermsOfUse.htm)

Salut
Tully

TgD Thunderbolt56
03-11-2004, 06:05 AM
Get a decent wingman, get on voice coms and practice the helpful hints posted in the previous posts.

There is no substitute for any one of these. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

http://home.earthlink.net/~aclzkim1/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/il2sig2.jpg

RossC0
03-11-2004, 07:32 AM
Cheers folks for the top tips!

JG14_Josf
03-11-2004, 08:41 AM
I answer that question by reading "Fighter Combat" by Robert Shaw.

Look here for additional training aids:

Eastern Skies IL2 User guide/Tracks (http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~chapman/il2guide/tracks.htm)

geetarman
03-11-2004, 08:55 AM
Slightly OT, but mentioned above ... how do you check the rearview mirror. I don't seem to have it on any of the planes I fly. Do have to map a key to activate it?

Flamin_Squirrel
03-11-2004, 09:04 AM
You do have to map a key, but not all planes have mirrors. 2 planes that definately do have them, so you can test, are the Hurricane and the P40.

geetarman
03-11-2004, 09:16 AM
I assume then that the mirror activation is in the control menu screen?

blabla0001
03-11-2004, 09:24 AM
In the key configuration field in the game there is an option called Toggle mirror.

Just bind a key to it and you can use it.

blabla0001
03-11-2004, 09:27 AM
Oh, and turn off texture compression in the IL2 Setup or else the mirrors will kill your framerate to the max.

The Hurricanes, Spitfires, P40's, P38's, P47,s and the LA7 have a mirror.

There might be more but I never use the mirrors myself so I don't know.