PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire IXc & broad chord rudder

Salfordian
06-03-2005, 10:31 AM
This is something that I have been thinking of since the Mk IXs arrived, and is to do with the MkIXc we have in game which has the broad chord pointed rudder (don't know if it has been brought up before). As this is listed as a 1943 model (I think?) would it be possible to replace this models rudder with the earlier one of the MkV, which most MkIXs had. The only dates I can find suggest that the broad chord rudder was not introduced until mid 1944 (from The Spitfire Story - Alfred Price) so it would be nice to have a mid 43 LfIXc with standard tail, and a mid 44 LfIXe with the pointed tail. Don't know how easy it would be to fix, I was thinking it would be fairly straightforward, but, if it is a big job then it is something we can live with, and there are more important things to concentrate on.

Anyway off on holiday now and won't be back till wednesday, so I'll leave this with you to ponder.

VW-IceFire
06-03-2005, 10:58 AM
What would be even smarter is to have a standard rudder on an early LF IXc with 1943 engine boost settings and a broad chord rudder on a late model IXc with 1944 engine boost settings.

As far as I know, the Spitfires we have were modeled after what the Russians used in the PVO and VVS. I think they were sent all broad chord...and thats why it is.

402Cdn.Valkyrie
06-03-2005, 12:52 PM
The Pointed rudder came to the Mk. IX in the fall of 44, same as the "E" wing.

But its alright as it is, the rudder thing is a minor detail and would only add a visable change.