http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/27/scott.obit.ap/index.html

He was 96 years old

Sergio

danjama
02-27-2006, 05:12 PM
Oh man that sucks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

AVG_WarHawk
02-27-2006, 06:11 PM
I read his book "God is my Co-pilot" many years ago, enjoyed it very much. My father will be deeply saddened when he hears the news.

Enforcer572005
02-27-2006, 08:08 PM
I had his book when i was a kid....was great, as was the movie wiht all those P40s and B25s.

it appears that no network wants to show the movie for some god-only-knows reason, and i havent seen a copy of the book on over 30 yrs.
He was from Macon Ga, and they always made a big deal over him....which is pretty cool i think. He also walked the great wall of china in his 80s.

That movie is great....P-40Fs and Ks, along wiht B25Ds and Gs i think. Even a scene flying a P-43. A bit corny, but good for the time.

Ive got a slide i took of him back around 90 standing wiht the thunderbirds at warner robbins AFB. Just gotta find it....

wayno7777
02-27-2006, 08:25 PM
~S~ and Godspeed....

T_O_A_D
02-27-2006, 09:09 PM
First WW2 book I ever read, 3rd grade. And until Oleg made the P-40. In my mind it was the best dam fighter ever made.

Not no Nancy plane either.

Strong chin, rough skin, Nasty teeth, ect.

God speed Scott ~S~
May you be rewarded your just deserves on the other side.

jensenpark
02-27-2006, 09:59 PM
very sad...but he lived to 96. Amazing.

I just finished reading his book - no idea he was still alive. Figured he must have passed already as he was so 'old' when he started flying fighters.

Great book - not very 'correct' in today's PC world - but a very interesting tale from a very determined and heroic man.

Doolittle81
03-03-2006, 04:43 PM
First book I ever read about WWII and flying! I think I read it when i was about 9 years old. Started me out for a path in life including 28 Years in the US Air Force. That book had quite an impact!

PBNA-Boosher
03-03-2006, 04:57 PM
He was a good man. RIP.

Rjel
03-03-2006, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Enforcer572005:
I had his book when i was a kid....was great, as was the movie wiht all those P40s and B25s....
it appears that no network wants to show the movie for some god-only-knows reason......
That movie is great....P-40Fs and Ks, along wiht B25Ds and Gs i think. Even a scene flying a P-43. A bit corny, but good for the time.

Actually, Turner Classic Movies shows God is My Co-Pilot on a fairly regular basis. Commercial free even. Ask you cable or dish provider.... Sorry. Got carried away. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

It is a pretty good movie. I read an article about the movie in Wings/Airpower magazine a number of years ago. Scott, who served as a technical supervisor and also flew in the movie, was less than happy with some of the airborne studio shots. In particular, the scene where the P-40 flown by actor Dane Clark crash lands thereby providing the movie Robert Scott his chance to get a plane to fly with the Flying Tigers. The real life Col. Scott showed the director how he could fly a real P-40 at very low altitude and create the effect of crash landing more realistically than it appears in the movie as done with models. Unfortunately, the movie union that represented model makers at the time was powerful enough to convince the movie studio that it needed to be done by model makers. At least that was Scott's version of the story. As a sidelight, the movie Scott, Dennis Morgan became very good friends with Robert Scott as a result of making this movie together.

danjama
03-03-2006, 10:30 PM
I sometimes flick through TCM, ill have to look out for it

side question: was Dennis Morgan the actor who played the pilot of Memphis Belle in the film?

Enforcer572005
03-04-2006, 12:59 AM
no, that was mathew modine. the real pilot of the belle was named Morgan i believe.

I cant get TCM, but my bedridden dad watches the other turner channels alot, and it never comes on them. Maybe someday it will be released on tape. the flying scenes are great, esecially the take offs of B-25s and P-40s of assorted models. Im tearing the place apart looking for that set of slides from that airshow.

F19_Orheim
03-04-2006, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by danjama:
Oh man that sucks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Not really, noone lives forever and I am sure he thought he lived a very full life. Let's celebrate his life rather than his death.