PDA

View Full Version : A simple question.

vithralad
04-13-2011, 02:28 PM
Hello all,

I just recently bought ACB but It's not running well on my Asus N53J laptop, low framrate/lag issues even though Assassin's creed 2 runs smoothly on full settings.
CPU: Intel core i5-460M, 2.53GHz
Video card: Nvidia GeForce GT 425M
HDD: 500GB
Ram: 4GB
Updated drivers as well.

Anyway, I think the problem might be with my video card though I'm not sure as I am not a computer wizz lol. I have a laptop that has Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT.
So my question is, If I switch my Nvidia GeForce GT 425M with my Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT, would that solve the problem without running into some kind of trouble with my laptop ? Or what or where do you think the problem is ?

Note: I would appreciate any posts that could help me solve this problem without any of these complications.

Thanks.

KingDaniel0
04-13-2011, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by vithralad:

So my question is, If I switch my Nvidia GeForce GT 425M with my Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT, would that solve the problem without running into some kind of trouble with my laptop ? Or what or where do you think the problem is ?

You mean to ask, that you want to Swap the Laptop Video cards ? You would be much better off using the GT 425M, instead of the low series i.e. the 9600GT.

Some Laptop components cannot be swapped, it depends on the Laptop Model as well. Sometimes this is not possible, imo.

Btw, is the 9600GT Video card inserted on your Laptop, or some other Desktop PC ? I usually don't recommend playing high-end Games on a Laptop, though the GeForce GT 425M is not a very low-profile Graphics Processor. But the performance of any Laptop's GPU/CPU is less as compared to a Desktop PC.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vithralad
04-13-2011, 02:54 PM
It's installed on my other laptop.

So what do you suggest I do ? Game wasn't so cheap to throw it away :P

lockerxzx
04-13-2011, 04:20 PM
Visit Nvidia website and see if there's any update for your video card.
Try reducing the shadow level in ACB Graphic Options

vithralad
04-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Already done both, Nothing works. Even tried setting the affinity to 2 CPUs or 3, and still get a low framrate/lag, I installed a program called game booster that closes down all the irrelevant programs that are open while playing ACB, and it still gives the same result.

KingDaniel0
04-13-2011, 04:55 PM
So what do you suggest I do ? Game wasn't so cheap to throw it away :P

Honestly speaking, I don't have a concrete Solution for you, because there are Gamers who are facing a Lag/Stutter even on High-end PCs, let alone a Laptop.

If you have Not done this, then I suggest you first try to reduce/lower down the in-game Screen RESOLUTION, and other Graphic settings like Multisampling, Vsync and Shadows. After that play the game for a while, and check the in-game performance.

Btw, how much FPS do you actually get, and which OS are you using ? As a side note, have you tried playing the game under 'Win XP SP2 Compatibilty' Mode ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vithralad
04-13-2011, 05:22 PM
Yeah I tried lowering the resolution and all of the things you mentioned, it gest better, but once in a fight, or riding a horse, or climbing walls, it gets bad again.
It gets around 15 fps, on lower settings, 20 fps-23 fps maybe less, And no actaully I haven't, never tried it before or don't how to use it rather.

KingDaniel0
04-15-2011, 07:24 AM
And no actaully I haven't, never tried it before or don't how to use it rather.

Was this query regarding on how to play the game under 'XP Compatibility' Mode ? We can do this under Win7/Vista OS, but it may or may NOT give any FPS boost with Brotherhood. Do you have Retail Copy, or Steam version ?

Btw, it looks like you can play AC2 without any problem, and Brotherhood Lags on your Laptop ? This is a bit odd, because there have been more Low Fps/in-game Freezing issues with AC2, rather than Brotherhood.

AC:B runs fine on most of the PCs, and even on QUAD-Core CPUs. Have you updated the DirectX 9 runtime files ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vithralad
04-15-2011, 07:46 AM
Haha I knew it was odd !
AC2 runs PERFECTLY on my laptop with no issues whatsoever AND on full settings, brotherhood however isn't the same, I shouldn't lower anything in brotherhood because Other than the fact that the map is bigger, I shouldn't have any issues.

I'm not so sure what you meant about updating DirectX 9 runtime files, but I have directX 11.0.

And I have a retail copy.

KingDaniel0
04-15-2011, 08:10 AM
I'm not so sure what you meant about updating DirectX 9 runtime files, but I have directX 11.0.

And I have a retail copy.

So I assume you have Win7, or an updated VISTA OS ?

Actually DX11 is the latest API, so this means you also have the DX9 libraries, but as a side note sometimes under Windows 7 it's better to fully update these files, as some Libraries may go missing. Though this is not always necessary. DX11 is also Backward compatible:

http://www.microsoft.com/downl...d92a3&displaylang=en (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en)

To play the game under Win XP Compatibility Mode, locate the game's executable i.e. ACBSP.exe, and make a Shortcut. Now right click on this program's shortcut, and then click on Properties. After that click on the Compatibility tab. Check the 'Run this program in compatibility mode for' box.

From the drop down menu arrow select 'Windows XP (Service Pack 2)'. Also check the 'Run this program as an administrator box', to change the Privilege Level. After that click on the OK button....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

vithralad
04-15-2011, 09:52 AM
Done all of that, still the same.

Looks like it's a dead end, Thanks for your help anyway http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

vithralad
04-18-2011, 10:01 AM
UPDATE: I re-checked my framerate again using fraps and it's less than 10 fps :S

KingDaniel0
04-18-2011, 10:22 AM
UPDATE: I re-checked my framerate again using fraps and it's less than 10 fps :S

Oh, that's really LOW ! Do you get such frame rates only with this game, or even other Titles on your Laptop ? How much FPS do you get now when you play AC2 ?

Have you tried re-installing the full Game again, on some other Hard disk partition, or an external HD, if this is possible ? As a side note, are there any overheating signs on your laptop components ?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

DonSrale
04-18-2011, 10:28 AM
Hey i'm new at assb i don't know how to start multi player.Can somebody help me at this.
Thanks,
DonSrale. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

vithralad
04-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Yes, It's only that low with AC:B, AC 2 has about anywhere from 40 to 60 fps ands it runs smoothly all the time.
I re-installed it many times, atleast three times or more, first time though i installed it on C: but The shop i bought this laptop from made a partition for microsoft and softwares for C: which has about 50 GB, and D: for games, music, movies etc.. but then i uninstalled it and re-installed it on D: which has about 450 GB.
As far as overheating goes, there are no problems as its a new laptop, and I use a laptop cooler whenever i play games.

KingDaniel0
04-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Yes, It's only that low with AC:B, AC 2 has about anywhere from 40 to 60 fps ands it runs smoothly all the time.
I re-installed it many times, atleast three times or more, first time though i installed it on C: but The shop i bought this laptop from made a partition for microsoft and softwares for C: which has about 50 GB, and D: for games, music, movies etc.. but then i uninstalled it and re-installed it on D: which has about 450 GB.
As far as overheating goes, there are no problems as its a new laptop, and I use a laptop cooler whenever i play games.

Alright, then I don't think you have any issues with your Laptop either, because you can play AC2 with 60 fps....

But there is surely some conflict with either some Software/hardware, with this Game i.e. Brotherhood on your Laptop, which is causing this Lag.

Or, this Lag/low FPS could also be because of some particular NVIDIA driver version (with Brotherhood). Try changing the drivers e.g. try any BETA version if possible, and then Test the Game. Or you can also revert back to any Older version of the NV drivers, if updating the drivers didn't help.

By any off chance, have you installed these tools on your Laptop i.e. ASUS GamerOSD, and SmartDoctor, or any other Overclocking App ? Remove these, because they have known to cause a Lag with few of the PC titles, including Brotherhood.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

vithralad
04-18-2011, 01:44 PM
I installed the 267.76 nvidia driver before but it didn't help, would the beta version be compatible with my video card ?

And no I didn't install any of these programs, I don't install anything unless I make sure I need it :P

KingDaniel0
04-18-2011, 02:17 PM
I installed the 267.76 nvidia driver before but it didn't help, would the beta version be compatible with my video card ?

Yes, you have BETA drivers for your Mobile video card as well. Btw, have you also tried the 270.61 version of drivers ?

Try to search here, because I don't know which OS you are using, so I can't give the Links. Select your GPU Model i.e. GT 425M and OS from here:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Btw, I think these BETA drivers might work on your Video Card. But first try the above 270.61 release:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/n....51-beta-driver.html (http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-270.51-beta-driver.html)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

vithralad
04-18-2011, 02:48 PM
Yeah I just installed the 270.61 driver, still getting the same fps.
Is that normal ?

KingDaniel0
04-18-2011, 05:34 PM
Yeah I just installed the 270.61 driver, still getting the same fps.
Is that normal ?

Yes, this should be normal, though it's little hard to comment on this question. You can also try the BETA version.....

I presume you did a CLEAN install and update of the Drivers ? Did you first remove all the previous NV entries from your System ? This tool can also come in handy, for driver removal:

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

Have you created a PROFILE for Brotherhood under Nvidia Control Panel ? Actually as you can play AC2 on this laptop, so I don't want to suggest you to try any Tweaks, or use any Tool like e.g. RIVATUNER, to get some FPS boost.

But as a side note, under Nvidia's Control Panel, you can try changing the value of Texture Filtering - Quality, to 'High Performance'. It might slightly increase the performance, but you may get a lower image quality. Also look for this setting i.e. Texture Filtering - Trilinear Optimization, enable it, and set it to ON, if you are struggling for some extra FPS.

If the Game still lags on 10 Fps, then something else needs to be done, because the Source of the problem could be some other thing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vithralad
04-19-2011, 07:50 AM
A clean update ? It's installed now if thats what you're asking.

And I lowered texture filtering and the trilinear optimization before, still the same, Its probably the game >.> I don't even get a reply from official ubisoft employees, what a great service...

freeze131
04-19-2011, 09:15 AM
I had the same problem, just tone down all the graphical details and maybe tone down the resolution a notch or two.
Everything fixed for me at 1024*768, except that resolution is unbearable (It didn't even take up the full screen), so I found myself changing between resolutions to suit cutscenes and gameplay. Was pretty tedious, to tell you the least.

vithralad
04-19-2011, 09:32 AM
The problem is, on 800 x 600 resolution with low graphics, I get about 20-25 fps, It's pretty much unplayable, and it looks like crap when everything is on low settings, AC2 has the same system requirements and Its pretty much 50-60 fps all the time, And I play it on full settings too, kinda odd http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

KingDaniel0
04-19-2011, 03:20 PM
A clean update ? It's installed now if thats what you're asking.

What I meant to ask is, did you first remove all the previous driver entries from your Computer, and then did a fresh update ?

I usually first remove all NV entries from Windows Control Panel, and then use Driver Sweeper as well, reboot my PC, and then update them from the web.

There are still few NV entries left under the Windows/System32 folder, but you don't have to delete them manually, unless there has been some serious driver Mismatch, or your NV Control panel is corrupt.

------------------------------------------------------------------

vithralad
04-21-2011, 08:10 AM
Can you tell me how to do this in steps ? I'm not much of an expert lol.
I tried using the driver sweeper, but then I couldn't open the Nvidia control panel anymore, so I used system restore to get everything back.

cheetah_ibr
04-21-2011, 08:24 AM
hmmmm... ur issue seems to be software related, i have ended the game on medium settings on my laptop which is dell i3, 2gb ram and ati monility radeon 4650.
i think u should go to nvidia control pannel and try maximizing the graphics performance and minimizing the battery preservation. i hope that works...

cheetah_ibr
04-21-2011, 08:25 AM
and also play the game when laptop is plugged in.. that also effects..

vithralad
04-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Already did that mate, but no use, it doesn't go up more than 10 fps :P

monkeyuncle8
04-21-2011, 01:54 PM
it looks to me like your processor is what is causing the problem I used to have one that was 2.7ghz and that hardly ran AC2

freeze131
04-21-2011, 09:39 PM
I reckon it's just bad optimisation resulting from a sloppy PC port.
Have you tried toning down the resolution?

vithralad
04-22-2011, 03:20 AM
@monkeyuncle8:
I guess, but the requirements are the same as AC2 and ran it at 50-60 fps, there really shouldn't be any difference.
@freeze131:
Yes but once the resolution is down, I get around 20-25 fps ? :S lol guess I should get an xbox instead.

mrsandman004
04-29-2011, 01:35 PM
Hello all,

Asus N53J laptop, low framrate/lag issues even though Assassin's creed 2 runs smoothly on full settings.
Updated drivers as well.

I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM with slightly higher specs. My computer is Asus G73jw with the GTX 460m, but Assassinīs creed II runs like butter along with many other new titles, but Brotherhood at 800x600 resolution and lowest possible graphics settings still lags, It is not smooth, any online suggestions I have tried do not work.

I wonder if its an asus program that affects it? or perhaps the 400 series nvidia notebook cards? This is extremely frustrating, as there is no reason why our PCīs cant play this game.

KingDaniel0
04-29-2011, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by mrsandman004:
I wonder if its an asus program that affects it? .

By any chance do you have ASUS GamerOSD, and SmartDoctor tools installed on your Laptop, or any other similar program/OverClocking tool ? The OP was not having these apps on his Laptop.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

vithralad
04-29-2011, 04:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vithralad:
Hello all,

Asus N53J laptop, low framrate/lag issues even though Assassin's creed 2 runs smoothly on full settings.
Updated drivers as well.

I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM with slightly higher specs. My computer is Asus G73jw with the GTX 460m, but Assassinīs creed II runs like butter along with many other new titles, but Brotherhood at 800x600 resolution and lowest possible graphics settings still lags, It is not smooth, any online suggestions I have tried do not work.

I wonder if its an asus program that affects it? or perhaps the 400 series nvidia notebook cards? This is extremely frustrating, as there is no reason why our PCīs cant play this game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah I've met lots of people on other forums who have similar problems particularly the ones that have an Asus with similar/slightly higher specs. I'm guessing it's probably the video card and I'm still waiting for a release of a new driver from Nvidia although I doubt that will help.
Looks like I have to save up for an Xbox to play my games *sigh*

mrsandman004
04-30-2011, 03:46 PM
By any chance did you purchase the game online? like through steam? Because I did through steam, but when I tried the .iso file it is working perfectly now. Ill leave that to you to work that out.. but I paid for the game and now I can play it. Hoo-rah.

vithralad
05-01-2011, 02:59 AM
By any chance did you purchase the game online? like through steam? Because I did through steam, but when I tried the .iso file it is working perfectly now. Ill leave that to you to work that out.. but I paid for the game and now I can play it. Hoo-rah.
Nope http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif I bought the CD from a Retail shop.
Grrr...Enjoy the game :P

KingDaniel0
05-01-2011, 06:41 AM
I have a laptop that has Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT.

Ok, you told you are having another LAPTOP, right ? So why not just TEST the game on that notebook having the 9600 GT graphics processor ? Just see if you can play Brotherhood on that laptop, and check how much FPS are you getting there ?

And in the meantime, can you try this 'Old-School' method right now ? I know this is not needed for AC:B, and it supports Win 7 too, but just give it a try.

Play the Game under 'Windows XP SP2 Compatibility Mode', by making a shortcut of the Game's EXE. But when you do this, also look here under the Compatibility TAB, and check and tick the options 'Disable Desktop Composition', and 'Disable Visual themes'. Now click on this .exe and run the Game.

This is just for testing purpose, so just see whether doing this gives you some Fps gain or not ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vithralad
05-01-2011, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by KingDaniel0:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vithralad:
I have a laptop that has Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT.

Ok, you told you are having another LAPTOP, right ? So why not just TEST the game on that notebook having the 9600 GT graphics processor ? Just see if you can play Brotherhood on that laptop, and check how much FPS are you getting there ?

And in the meantime, can you try this 'Old-School' method right now ? I know this is not needed for AC:B, and it supports Win 7 too, but just give it a try.

Play the Game under 'Windows XP SP2 Compatibility Mode', by making a shortcut of the Game's EXE. But when you do this, also look here under the Compatibility TAB, and check and tick the options 'Disable Desktop Composition', and 'Disable Visual themes'. Now click on this .exe and run the Game.

This is just for testing purpose, so just see whether doing this gives you some Fps gain or not ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually that old laptop of mine doesn't run AC2 nor AC:B and they both run at low fps equally.
Specifications of my old laptop:
HP pavilion dv7:
-Windows vista 64 bit
-Intel core 2 duo P8600 2.40GHz
-Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT
-6GB RAM
-450 GB HDD

I tried Playing the Game under 'Windows XP SP2 Compatibility Mode' with no signs of fps improvements.

KingDaniel0
05-01-2011, 02:19 PM
I tried Playing the Game under 'Windows XP SP2 Compatibility Mode' with no signs of fps improvements.

Did you use the XP mode along with these 2 options i.e. 'Disable Desktop Composition', and 'Disable Visual themes' ? Oh btw, try playing the Game under Win XP SP 2, if possible, as most of the gamers have already tested this Game under Windows 7 OS.

Anyways, like you said before that you can currently play AC2 on this Laptop, with good FPS, right ? So I can't say go and upgrade to a proper Gaming PC. Maybe there is a Memory leak with AC:B....

Because some Games do not actually have a proper support for laptops, including AC2, and they don't fully support the Mobile/M and laptop version of Video cards. But under AC:B's required specs, nothing has been specified regarding Laptops...

Minimum Requirements for Brotherhood:

http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/ap...rs/detail/a_id/14572 (http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14572)

On the other hand under AC2's specs, it says, Laptop versions of Video cards may work but are NOT supported. But despite this, the game will run on a notebook, but the performance won't be that good as a PC. Minimum Requirements for AC2:

http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/ap...rs/detail/a_id/13296 (http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13296)

You can try to format and re-install your full OS i.e. Windows, and try playing the game again, as a try. You can also go for Overclocking your CPU/GPU, but again this involves risk, and should be done only if necessary.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vithralad
05-02-2011, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by KingDaniel0:

Did you use the XP mode along with these 2 options i.e. 'Disable Desktop Composition', and 'Disable Visual themes' ? Oh btw, try playing the Game under Win XP SP 2, if possible, as most of the gamers have already tested this Game under Windows 7 OS.

Anyways, like you said before that you can currently play AC2 on this Laptop, with good FPS, right ? So I can't say go and upgrade to a proper Gaming PC. Maybe there is a Memory leak with AC:B....

Because some Games do not actually have a proper support for laptops, including AC2, and they don't fully support the Mobile/M and laptop version of Video cards. But under AC:B's required specs, nothing has been specified regarding Laptops...

Minimum Requirements for Brotherhood:

http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/ap...rs/detail/a_id/14572 (http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14572)

On the other hand under AC2's specs, it says, Laptop versions of Video cards may work but are NOT supported. But despite this, the game will run on a notebook, but the performance won't be that good as a PC. Minimum Requirements for AC2:

http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/ap...rs/detail/a_id/13296 (http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13296)

You can try to format and re-install your full OS i.e. Windows, and try playing the game again, as a try. You can also go for Overclocking your CPU/GPU, but again this involves risk, and should be done only if necessary.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd rater avoid overclocking as I don't know how to do that and it has risks, Besides its an expensive new laptop. Anyway, I never knew about this game not supporting laptops and maybe I should have noticed that before getting it. Now I know why AC2 runs well on my laptop when AC:B doesn't.
Too bad, It's a good game.

KingDaniel0
05-04-2011, 05:08 PM
I'd rater avoid overclocking as I don't know how to do that and it has risks, Besides its an expensive new laptop. Anyway, I never knew about this game not supporting laptops and maybe I should have noticed that before getting it. Now I know why AC2 runs well on my laptop when AC:B doesn't.
Too bad, It's a good game.

No, actually I think it's the opposite. On AC2's specs, it says that Laptops are not supported, but that Game runs fine without any lag ! Kind of strange.....

Anyways, leave all that. Can you give this Method a Try ? Can you rename ACBSP.exe to AssassinsCreedIIGame.exe, and then try to Play Brotherhood with this EXE ? But before making those changes, please make a BACKUP of any file........

OR, try to select AC2's Profile under Nvidia's Control Panel. Select AC2's profile, or create a profile for AC2 by selecting 'AssassinsCreedIIGame.exe', and then try to play Brotherhood with this Profile.

Just see if doing all this, gives any in-game FPS difference or not ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vithralad
06-10-2011, 04:55 PM
UPDATE:
After installing the new driver from nvidia(driver 275.33), it actually worked and on high settings as well.

KingDaniel0
06-10-2011, 11:44 PM
UPDATE:
After installing the new driver from nvidia(driver 275.33), it actually worked and on high settings as well.

Hey, thanks for this update. That's good. So your game finally runs now on HIGH settings, after updating the Video Card drivers ?

How much Overall fps are you getting now ? Cheers.

.................................................. ......................

vithralad
06-11-2011, 08:55 AM
Yep after I updated the driver it worked.
well, fps ranges between 30-50 fps and 60 on some occasions but it's playable, though for maximum performance I turned off V-sync and lowered shadow quality a bit. But it's everything else is on High settings.