PDA

View Full Version : what is the correct procedure...?

fabianfred
08-25-2007, 06:01 PM
in a bomber....when you have an engine on fire?

In the b25 the extinguishers can somtimes put the fire out.....what then?.....sometimes it re-ignites

thw Mosquito engine goes out after using extinguishers.....should we then select that engine and feather the prop......or what?
or do we only feather if it stops?
I was thinking that ...OK it was on fire and we put the fire out.....but it is obviously damaged....letting it run on...it must be getting hot ...and may re-ignite....extinguishers all used up.....maybe feather it.....or stop it..and feather it.....maybe getting home on one engine is better than having it go on fire again

any thoughts on what procedures were??

DKoor
08-25-2007, 08:01 PM
Fly on high speed, I think that should help. Anyhow on fire and slow is excellent combination for a big boom.
But really you should consider getting some alt in case that engine explodes. Especially true if flying Ju-88....once when that happens it is matter of a few seconds between virtual life or death (bailout).

OMK_Hand
08-26-2007, 03:35 AM
Hi fabianfred.

Regarding procedure, from a B24 pilot's notes:

The minimum controllable speed with one engine at rated power is 140 mph indicated. If the speed drops below 140 mph, the application of full power on the single engine causes the airplane to yaw. Airplane should be dived at reduced power to attain proper speed. Adjust rudder trim tab to counteract loss of engine thrust and fly the airplane with the dead engine high.

Taken where appropriate from the RAF ˜Pilot's notes general':

The propeller should be feathered at once.
Switch off the dead engine.
Close the cowl flaps on the dead engine.
Keep straight and level by instant and coarse use of the rudder and ailerons, putting the nose down as necessary to maintain speed. (A few degrees of bank towards the live engine will assist in keeping straight.)
Trim the rudder as necessary to relieve foot load.
Close the throttle of the failed engine.
Any remaining bomb load should be jettisoned.
Open the live engine as necessary and retrim.
The engine should only be opened up beyond climbing limitations when necessary to prevent the height becoming dangerously low.
If best speed with one engine is not stated in notes, maintain at least a speed 10 mph below the speed quoted for maximum rate of climb on both engines.
A fairly rapid loss of height is to be expected initially if the failure occurs at an altitude very much above the full throttle height.
Rate of descent will fall as the aircraft approaches its single-engine ceiling, which will commonly be near the full throttle height..
If in high blower, change to low blower.

The best climb speed for the B25 is given as 155 mph IAS, at 2400 rpm, 38" mp.
I think that full throttle height in low blower is between 9000' and 12000'

Also, if there's an engine on fire and it won't go out either through use of an extinguisher or after a fast dive with the engine off and the propeller feathered (or, if feathering is not an option then with the rpm reduced to 0%), then a rapid exit is called for.

If you have a programmable joystick, it's useful to have a macro assigned to a switch that will kill the engine, fire the extinguisher, and feather the prop.

Interesting topic.
Hope this helps.

fabianfred
08-26-2007, 04:53 AM
thanks for the replys...i'm still not sure if a prop should be feathered only when it has stopped working....or not....

if a fire has been put out...maybe lessening the load on that engine by throttling back on that side would help....

OMK_Hand
08-26-2007, 07:23 AM
Feathering the propeller stops the engine (from being turned by the wind) and may prevent further damage after breakdown. It reduces propeller drag and so improves performance and control.

Anytime an engine is stopped in flight, either feather the propeller or, if the option isn't available, reduce the rpm to minimum - ˜positive coarse pitch'.

When starting an engine in flight, the propeller should be set to ˜positive coarse pitch' before un-feathering, then brought up to the desired rpm.

"A feathering propeller is a controllable propeller having a mechanism to change the pitch to an angle so that forward aircraft motion produces a minimum wind milling effect on a "power off" propeller. Feathering propellers must be used on multiengine aircraft to reduce propeller drag to a minimum under engine failure conditions"

http://www.ec.erau.edu/cce/centers/edwards/AMT281/Topic14presentation.htm#f

A wind-milling engine may well catch fire again.
Rule of thumb: If the engine has caught fire once already, turn it off and feather the propeller.

DuxCorvan
08-26-2007, 11:58 AM
The best procedure is to freak out and hit the silk as fast as you can, saying 'bye' to your crew, for a safe yellow belly landing. Some guy whose name I don't remember now did this and he's still around to collect the medals.

fabianfred
08-26-2007, 06:57 PM
Thank you OMK....

and Dux...I tried that....but the AI crew just sulked next mission....and just sat there smoking and reading comics when the enemy fighters attacked

DKoor
08-26-2007, 10:21 PM
I flew 300+ missions in all versions of Ju-87 in campaign....so I kinda know what I'm talking about when I say: when you're attacked by enemy fighters jettison all what you can and run home like hell at tree top level!

The only exception is if you actually have decent fighter protection.....but we all know how rare that is http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

bigbossmalone
08-27-2007, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by OMK_Hand:
If you have a programmable joystick, it's useful to have a macro assigned to a switch that will kill the engine, fire the extinguisher, and feather the prop.

OMK Hand - now, that's the kind of thing I would find very handy!
I know squat about programming, so any idea where I would find such a macro, or others like it? Maybe, if you have, I can PM you my email, and you'd be willing to email it to me?
Cheers m8

OMK_Hand
08-27-2007, 01:27 AM
Hi bigbossmalone,

I use a Saitek X52 which is configured using 'profiles', made by the user in the supplied 'profile editor'. There are options within the editor of assigning single and multiple key presses, key presses with timed options, and macros which are in the form of 'recordings' of key press sequences.

It's all a doddle really, which is just as well because I know nothing about 'raw' programming.

Sorry.

I just Googled 'joystick macro' and these came up:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=joystick+macro+&meta=