PDA

View Full Version : Manual targeting school for beginners

Jonny211
06-22-2005, 02:58 AM
Hiya all,

Before anyone says it I have read Wazoos excellent tutorial on manual targetting but I'm still missing!

I'd like to clarify how you work out AoB... I'm using the Gods View so I'm getting good plots of course and speed for my victims but I'm still missing 'em. I reckon AoB is where I'm going wrong.

What I'm doing is taking their course and subtracting my bearing relative to that course to give AoB. So if they're heading at 110 and Im lurking at due south at 180 then Aob is minus 70???

Then as I'm off their starboard bow I set AoB to be whatever value I've calculated into the green portion of the AoB setting.

Also I take bearing to be the bearing to the target as seen through the scope or IZO.

Is this correct - does anyone have a better solution to erm, getting a solution.

Ta.

Jon

PS. Also I can't close the torpedo doors manually but that's another problem.

The Avon Lady
06-22-2005, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by Jonny211:
PS. Also I can't close the torpedo doors manually but that's another problem.
1. How are you trying to do this?
2. Do you really care?

Jonny211
06-22-2005, 05:39 AM
Choose your tube the press W.

Yes I do care. Also I can't find a button to open the portholes while submerged - any ideas?

Budokan
06-22-2005, 07:59 AM
If you're using God's view it's extraordinarily easy to get AOB. Take your compass from the tool bar and point it from the bow of the target ship, note the angle. Turn the compass, drawing a line all the way toward your sub; that's your second angle. Either subtract or add the two angles you have and you're done.

Example: With the compass pointed in the direction of travel off the bow of the target ship, you have 100 degrees. You turn the compass toward your sub and get 20 degrees. The AOB is 80.

Just remember that sometimes you turn the compass through 180 and begin counting again from 000 degrees. (Or back the other way) If you start at 150 degrees, turn it through and end up at 20 degrees then the AOB would be 50 degrees. All you're doing is counting off the degrees; and remember you can pause the game in the middle of this until you get faster at it...

Rabtherab
06-22-2005, 08:13 AM
When determining AOB, I use the Recognition Manual. The second view shows the target at various angles. I conpare the pictures to what I see, and estimate the AOB based on that. I score hits 8 or 9 times out of 10.

I realise this method is a little more intuitive, but it seems to work for me.

mbabbs
06-22-2005, 08:41 AM
AOB is easy. Just imagine the icon in the middle is the target and the icon on the outside is your subs relative position.

lecek
06-22-2005, 08:55 AM
I had an odd bout of torpedo's passing ahead of my target ships. I think the speed setting bug can affect steam torpedos such that the TDC was calculating for a slow torpedo when it's speed was set to fast.

If you are using electric torpedos then this is the same bug.

I say this because I have noticed a similar bug with depth as well. Sometimes a newly loaded torpedo will have the depth of the last one fired not the default. So I think it is all the same bug.

Anyway if the above is the problem you should try to select the torp speed setting even if it is already on the correct setting. (Especially if you are using an electric torpedo.)

Another possibility. Range. If you are farther then 1000 meters and you are full real, you might try getting closer. Your torpedos are good down to 300 meters range and you can be many degrees off at this range and still hit.

Good luck.

Edit:

If you are using the keyboard to open your torpedo tubes with the 'q' key. Be aware that cycling the tubes will close them.

AVGWarhawk
06-22-2005, 09:38 AM
I use the recognition manual as well. The easiest is try your best to make a 90 degree angle shot. I do not try to make any fancy shots. 45 degrees to 0 degrees on the bow to target for best results. Also, get as close as possible to target. No closer then 400m but within 900m. I recommend you play with full weapons officer assistance for a patrol or two. This will give you a feel for angles etc. etc.

AStotzer
06-22-2005, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Budokan:
If you're using God's view it's extraordinarily easy to get AOB. Sorry for my ignorance, but what is God's View? Is that the F5 Navigation Map???

Jonny211
06-23-2005, 02:29 AM
Aha! I've rediscovered the compass and now I'm actually hitting targets manually... got a C3 from 5km last night.

Now to practice plotting multiple manual solutions for attaccking convoys.

I've seen similar things with torpedo speed settings... you set the speed, go to IZO or similar then back to the tactical page or whatever it's called and the speed has been reset to slow. Hmmmmm....

Jon

AStotzer
06-23-2005, 08:23 AM
God's view? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

GT182
06-23-2005, 12:57 PM
Jon, Q opens the torpedo doors and W closes them.

Use F6 for the TDC map amd see what your angles are releative to the target when you compute your AOB. Zoom in tho. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif