PDA

View Full Version : VIIB vs VIIC noob question

timmtc04
05-01-2005, 08:12 PM
Hey all, I would look in my manual, but I lack one http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif I bought my game off of fileplanet and it did not include a manual so I apologize if I am asking a fairly obvious question.

I am currently starting my career, and I am on november 16 1941 - I have a Uboat VIIB in the 1st Flotilla and I was curious as to what the difference between the VIIC and the VIIB are, as they are the two uboats available to me. The VIIC seems to be slower, however it is also 500 Rewnown more. Does the VIIC offer more upgrades or something?

Pr0metheus 1962
05-01-2005, 08:15 PM
Yes. It has more upgrades and it can dive deeper.

tcrossma
05-01-2005, 08:15 PM
Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you, but I just wanted to let you know that I bought a boxed version of the game, with a manual, and i'll go out on a limb and say you might know more about the game than I do. Not only does the manual not give much info, but it might even be a hinderance.

tim

alanschu
05-01-2005, 08:22 PM
VIIC has better conning towers, and it's ability to dive faster (even if only by a few seconds) can make a world of difference later in the war.

timmtc04
05-01-2005, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the quick replies everyone http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Are more boats made available later on in the campaign or are these the two main ones?

alanschu
05-01-2005, 08:39 PM
VIIBs and VIICs are the most common, and I think every flotilla offers them.

New U-Boats do appear later in the war, but only some of them receive them.

I think it's the 2nd Flotilla that gets the large IX boats earlier in the war. I believe the 7th will get some IX boats later on, but I'm not sure.

And I believe it's the 13th (or something like that) that should get the XXI.

MikeJW
05-01-2005, 08:45 PM
The IX series will be available when the 2nd Flotilla opens and late in the war the XXI series becomes available. Also, if you had started in the 1st in '39 you would have had the 'pleasure" of captaining a II series canoe.

timmtc04
05-01-2005, 08:52 PM
the canoe is kind of cute

gabriel_cd
05-01-2005, 09:00 PM
You should have PDF versions of all the printed documentation here:

[...]\SilentHunterIII\documentation

Happy hunting!

BlueHawk_1
05-01-2005, 09:31 PM
IMO VIIC is better, you got flak guns, and who gives a s-h-i-t how deep it can go? if you can go past 100m theres nothing thats gonna hurt you!

My boat is U-598 FYI!

quillan
05-01-2005, 10:10 PM
It dives 3 seconds faster (27 seconds vs 30), is slightly slower underwater (7.6 knots vs 8), and has somewhat reduced range (80 nautical miles at 4 knots vs 90). The reduced underwater range goes away with the battery upgrades. The only upgrades the VIIC gets that the VIIB doesn't are conning tower upgrades that allow more antiaircraft guns.

The VIIB and VIIC both start with a single light flak emplacement. Each can get a new conning tower that adds another platform behind the bridge (the wintergarten), which mounts another light flak emplacement. The VIIC only has two more variations. One mounts two light flaks on the bridge and a heavy flak on the wintergarten, and the last replaces the deck gun mounting 4 heavy flak emplacements.

I really loved my VIIB, but eventually upgraded to a VIIC because of aircraft.