PDA

View Full Version : Replay value for Uru

Unara233
11-19-2003, 05:49 PM
Do you think the replay value of Uru will better than the other Myst games? I want to get it, but the past games have had absolutely no replay value.

|++++|(====)http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Unara233
11-19-2003, 05:49 PM
Do you think the replay value of Uru will better than the other Myst games? I want to get it, but the past games have had absolutely no replay value.

|++++|(====)http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

mszv
11-19-2003, 06:11 PM
Hi,
I assume you are speaking about solo player Uru, not the online game. Uru is, for the most part, in the adventure game genre. There are no alternate endings, and the puzzles are, well, the puzzles. Gameplay will be the same as the first time you pay it. If you didn't find a lot of replayability in the other Myst series games, you may not find more replayability in Uru.

Uru is a big game, for an adventure game, with a lot of real estate. There's also a lot of detail, and interesting tidbits to find, about the world, and the backstory. If you are the sort of person who likes to replay games, so you can observe the world in more detail, and look at things you may have missed, then you may enjoy replaying Uru. I'd say the experience is like rereading a favorite books, or watching a favorite movie. If you are the sort to do that, then the replayabiity factor of Uru would be high. For the die-hard fan, there's a lot of replayability in Uru, but for others, well, I'm not sure.

Hope this helps.

Regards, mszv
Game name: amarez
KI #: don't have it yet
Put that down, you are not in a game, this is my life!

1.2GH, 640MB, GeForce4 TI 4200 128MB, Santa Cruz Surround Sound, DSL, 1200kbps down/100 kbps up, wired/wireless home network, Linksys router

DancnDude
11-19-2003, 06:25 PM
And the obvious response would be if you include the Uru Live part, there will always be new things to do and explore in D'ni with constant updates. The single-player version probably doesn't offer you much replayability though.

Unara233
11-19-2003, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the responses. Maybe once Uru live starts you could let me know how it is, if it's worth however much the fee will be.

|++++|(====) http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Dillenger69
11-19-2003, 08:02 PM
ah ... but if you buy now you can get into the prologue for freeeeeeeeeee

- - - -
http://www.wonderwedge.org/images/banners/milkad2.jpg
An administrator at Clockwork Orange BBS (http://www.clockworkorangebbs.org/) - The censorship free place to be.
Fah tehrthtehs trehahno pahrah ... one of the group at the big water, an Uru neighborhood.

Mowog
11-19-2003, 09:24 PM
I'd happily replay some portions! But face it, there are certain puzzles (one involving fireflies comes to mind!) that were so difficult to complete the first time -- even after figuring out what I had to do, actually DOING it was bloody hard due to clumsy controls -- that I don't think I'd want to go through it again after solving.

But oh, that fabulous scenery! I am truly enjoying the environments, and would willingly return if only for sightseeing.

As mentioned before, though... with Uru Live coming up, the whole "replay" question may be moot. With new ages arriving regularly, we may be too busy to go back!

maztec
11-19-2003, 09:28 PM
I've done and redone everything at least 15 to 20 times now... And if I take a day or two off before going back, I always find myself seeing something new.

endeavor21
11-20-2003, 02:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maztec:
I've done and redone everything at least 15 to 20 times now...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow. That's ..... you're ..... that ..... just ..... wow.

Jerokhna
11-20-2003, 03:07 AM
Statement #1: It's in the puzzle/strategy genre not action/adventure.

Statement#2: single player is just a training section for warming you up to do the online stuff.

Statement#3:Wow! That's a lot of replays maztec! But for me I took the time to slowly go through and made sure I saw EVERYTHING the first time including shroomie rather close and no the gun can't be used on her. she flees before you can use it. I've been through once and that took 2.5days so I think next time will only be 1.5days or somewhere about there.

Statement#4: I WANT MY INVITATION!!!

DrumMath
11-20-2003, 11:14 AM
Uru is good for at least 2 complete replays as 1st and 3rd person give entirely different perspectives and, as a resault, experiences to the player.

And be kind to maztec. After all, betas were expected to repay with each new version as they searched for bugs.

Srikandi
11-20-2003, 11:51 AM
I enjoyed SP Uru, but wouldn't replay it as is... about five evenings of play for me.

There is certainly a question mark in my mind about whether the new content in Live will come along quickly enough to keep me involved. One new Age a month? That's about one evening's play. Even if there's a day's worth of new content a week, Uru can't be my only game... but I'm happy to give it a chance to convince me.

If we eventually get to do our own Ages, that would definitely make a difference. The reason I still play Morrowind is the modding -- both making and playing, but especially making.

CosimoDeMedici
11-20-2003, 12:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I still play Morrowind is the modding -- both making and playing, but especially making.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahhhh Morrowind. Any links to your mods?

mszv
11-20-2003, 06:54 PM
Hi,
From what I read (Rand chat I think) mod tools are not available and are not planned. I'd be surprised if they were, but I've been wrong before!

It's a whole new world out there, with regards to gamers. You folks are so good, and so good at figuring out stuff so fast! I think that Uru live will have to focus on the socialization aspects. I can't imagine there being enough puzzle content to keep you smart fast people going all the time.

As for the type of game (previous post, a couple up, and a good one too!) - puzzle games are adventure games, as in Syberia, Post Morten, Schizm and lots more. It's the same genre Myst, Riven and Exile are in. The previous three are considered to be squarely in the adventure game genre. Uru is listed in the adventure game category, though it has some action elements. I never thought of it as a strategy game, that's interesting.

I replayed Uru when I was in the beta. I got through it less than many people, because I'm slow. I like having it, to see the lovely ages, but I don't particularly want to replay the puzzles. Solving those puzzles one time, in the "bought" game, is good enough for me.

Regards, mszv
Game name: amarez
KI #: don't have it yet
Put that down, you are not in a game, this is my life!

1.2GH, 640MB, GeForce4 TI 4200 128MB, Santa Cruz Surround Sound, DSL, 1200kbps down/100 kbps up, wired/wireless home network, Linksys router