PDA

View Full Version : Sneaking

amugae
07-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Do you think you should be able to sneak in AC:B? I thought it was awkward that in AC2, when you're hunting archers, the best you could do was use your default walk that doesn't look stealthy at all, and if you get close enough to the archer he will always sense you and turn around.

So in AC:B couldn't we get a sneaking button that lets us crouch down a little and walk silently? Or maybe have Ezio change his walking animation into sneaking motion when he gets close enough behind a guard? It's a little silly that a stealth game doesn't let you sneak around like assassins are supposed to do.

Deathgrim666
07-07-2010, 07:40 PM
yeah we need crouch.

EzioAssassin51
07-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Like on Batman Arkham Asylum, Batman has a crouch so he can sneak up on enemies and do a silent kill!

It would be awesome if we had that! It is a necessity for ACB IMO!

Fairus60
07-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Completely agreed. I hope that because of the new battle system thay aint forgetting the stealth side!! Its what I like the most about AC gameplay, having to sneak to kill the target. There was far more sneaking in AC1 than in AC2. I hope they go back to their roots in this.

xChupa
07-07-2010, 10:18 PM
This is definately a necessity imo. I hate how the most stealthy movement you can do is walk. It looks so... unprofessional.

Originally posted by amugae:
Or maybe have Ezio change his walking animation into sneaking motion when he gets close enough behind a guard?
Yeah it could be like in Uncharted 2 where when you walk up behind an enemy undetected you automatically enter a silent crouch. Worked wonders in that game.

Account_Deleted
07-07-2010, 10:45 PM
agree, even if your really sneaky. archers still alerted
sneaking is needed

GariStz
07-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by xChupa:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by amugae:
Or maybe have Ezio change his walking animation into sneaking motion when he gets close enough behind a guard?
Yeah it could be like in Uncharted 2 where when you walk up behind an enemy undetected you automatically enter a silent crouch. Worked wonders in that game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

*cough* Prince of Persia The Two Thrones... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

AND by the way, you CAN crouch in both AC's, though you can't WALK while crouching:

http://store.picbg.net/pubpic/89/77/7ffc2a5812c88977.png

amugae
07-07-2010, 11:40 PM
This is definately a necessity imo. I hate how the most stealthy movement you can do is walk. It looks so... unprofessional.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by amugae:
Yeah it could be like in Uncharted 2 where when you walk up behind an enemy undetected you automatically enter a silent crouch. Worked wonders in that game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On second thought, I prefer the idea of having a separate sneak/crouch button rather than having the action done for me automatically. It gives me more control over my character and makes me feel more versatile.

We could just change the pickpocket/walk fast button into sneak/crouch button. No one will miss pickpocketing anyway.

As for the above pic, that's not crouching. That's posing. For facebook.

xChupa
07-08-2010, 12:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by xChupa:

On second thought, I prefer the idea of having a separate sneak/crouch button rather than having the action done for me automatically. It gives me more control over my character and makes me feel more versatile.

We could just change the pickpocket/walk fast button into sneak/crouch button. No one will miss pickpocketing anyway.

As for the above pic, that's not crouching. That's posing. For facebook. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well the reason i said have automatic sneaking is to save a button on the controller (console controllers have very limited space) but you're right that no one uses pickpocketing anyways, so might as well just remove it for crouching.

SevketErhat
07-08-2010, 12:09 AM
Going Solid Snake route = good
Going Sam Fisher route = bad

Account_Deleted
07-08-2010, 12:21 AM
@ Garsitz,
if i rember properly, that action is after jumping xD

and what's the point of crouching but you can't move?

EzioAssassin51
07-08-2010, 04:12 AM
@Account - Actually it's before if you hold X or A (depending on Console) down

@amugae - I agree! Did anyone even use the fast walk?? and they could make pickpocketing better with a different button like hold L2 (on PS3 (not used atm)) for a few seconds to steal the money, a bit like looting but a bit quicker!

MetalX2010
07-08-2010, 04:24 AM
just casting another vote here : I completely agree.
hope Ubi would pay attention to this thread but I dont think it will be implemented in AC:B .. maybe in AC3

amugae
07-08-2010, 12:29 PM
No, I'd like to believe they still have time to implement it. We have like five months left after all.

They should not make sneaking slower than regular walking however, because it will slow down the action and make it too difficult to catch up to patrols. However, they should make sneaking a noticeable activity, as in guards will become suspicious when they see you in sneaking in the middle of the road.

Silhouelle
07-08-2010, 12:44 PM
I'd love if they added crouched sneaking and rolling like in Tenchu Z. Hold a button down and you crouch, walk silently and can roll in all directions (also silently), so that would be pretty useful not only for stealth but also to dodge arrows or one of the giant axe-wielding Brutes. ^^;

/Signed for crouched stealth thing.

AMuppetMatt
07-08-2010, 01:23 PM
I think it should slow you down, just not lots. After all, the whole thing about sneaking is that, while you are quieter, the downside is that you're normally slower. Unless you can walk silently at a normal pace? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

lilbacchant
07-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by AMuppetMatt:
I think it should slow you down, just not lots. After all, the whole thing about sneaking is that, while you are quieter, the downside is that you're normally slower. Unless you can walk silently at a normal pace? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Yeppers, what he said. I personally liked the way they handled sneak in Oblivion. Program a gradient scale where crouched and not moving in a dark shadow = near invisibility; on the other end of the scale would be crouching in a near run down the street in broad daylight. A little icon that gets brighter or something the more visible we are would be helpful too.

iLikeBacon
07-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by lilbacchant:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AMuppetMatt:

Yeppers, what he said. I personally liked the way they handled sneak in Oblivion. Program a gradient scale where crouched and not moving in a dark shadow = near invisibility; on the other end of the scale would be crouching in a near run down the street in broad daylight. A little icon that gets brighter or something the more visible we are would be helpful too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am lazy, so all I can say right now is:
I agree with you, and I think that we definitely need a sneak in AC.

kthxbai

-Bacon http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif

lilbacchant
07-08-2010, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by iLikeBacon:
I am lazy, so all I can say right now is:

With all that protein you eat, one would think you'd have all kinds of energy. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/crackwhip.gif

klaytonmh95
07-08-2010, 09:40 PM
i think you should do that like in batman arkham asylum lol.

visit/join: http://assassinscreed-brotherhoods.webs.com/

Vey03
07-08-2010, 10:05 PM
Definately agree! In AC1 at least you had that slow, praying walk, but you've got nothing in AC2.

As far as speed goes, when Ezio is walking along the ropes that hang from building to building, you can run across those in high profile in a sort-of half crouching position. No reason you shouldn't be able to do the same on the ground.
Crouch and sneak should be able to be done in both low and hig profile, otherwise, as someone said, by the time you get to the enemy, they would have turned around and walked off, or killed you.
Quiet doesn't always have to mean slow.

And i agree with replacing pickpocketing for sneaking. I doubt pickpocketing will go on in AC3, so there's an empty button right there!
If not, i'm more than happy with auto sneak. One less thing to press is always nice when you've only got 5 fingers to control Ezio (other hand on mouse), and playing on keyboard.

sm312
07-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Guys remember this is a SOCIAL STEALTH game, meaning using the crowds to your advantage not crouching.

wapikas
07-08-2010, 11:45 PM
Guys remember this is a SOCIAL STEALTH game, meaning using the crowds to your advantage not crouching.

yeah.. but still, it would add some game diversity and new dimension to stealth gameplay in AC, beacause right now we don't have social stealth or any kind of stealth gameplay on rooftops and restricted areas.

xChupa
07-09-2010, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by sm312:
What about on rooftops? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Xanatos2007
07-09-2010, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by sm312:
They hurled that idea out of a 12-storey window around the start of ACII.

The AC series is drifting further & further away from stealth and generally being an 'Assassin'. Compare the different cinematic trailers:
* AC1: Altair spots his target, goes in for the kill and legs it. He doesn't hang around any longer than is necessary.
* AC2: Ezio wants his target to know he's coming, taking the direct approach and fighting through all his guards. After having to chase his target through Venice and finally tracking him down - instead of flanking him and performing an air assassination or something - he drops to the ground right in front of him and approaches him slowly. He takes too much time with the job.
* ACB: Practically knocks on the front door with a small army. Wouldn't it make more sense to just snipe the guy instead?

The gameplay generally follows suit as well with each installment.

lilbacchant
07-09-2010, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Xanatos2007:
They hurled that idea out of a 12-storey window around the start of ACII.

The AC series is drifting further & further away from stealth and generally being an 'Assassin'. Compare the different cinematic trailers:
* AC1: Altair spots his target, goes in for the kill and legs it. He doesn't hang around any longer than is necessary.
* AC2: Ezio wants his target to know he's coming, taking the direct approach and fighting through all his guards. After having to chase his target through Venice and finally tracking him down - instead of flanking him and performing an air assassination or something - he drops to the ground right in front of him and approaches him slowly. He takes too much time with the job.
* ACB: Practically knocks on the front door with a small army. Wouldn't it make more sense to just snipe the guy instead?

The gameplay generally follows suit as well with each installment.

Nice summation, Xanatos. I just wish it weren't accurate and, therefore, depressing ...

phil.llllll
07-09-2010, 02:11 PM
I agree it'd be great if they brought back and added to the stealth and assassination approach that they went for in AC1. That doesn't necessarily mean it'll have to be a stealth game; for example, MGS4 can be stealthy or action oriented depending up the players individual style.

Just offering more options in general would be great - more ways to kill, more ways to approach, and greater possiblities to be creative.

AMuppetMatt
07-10-2010, 02:55 AM
I'm not talking about some sort of sneak where you're invisible to guards, just so you don't make any noise so they don't turn round on rooftops and start yelling at you... plus it would make stealth kills look much better and be more... well, stealthy.

And Xanatos, you've taken what I've wanted to try and say for a while, I just couldn't really find the right words for it. You're spot on. I don't want Assassins Creed to be a purely stealth game (Splinter Cell), but AC1 had the perfect balance of sneakily running around a stealthy aspects with the ability to kill guards when necessary. AC3 needs to be more like AC1 in that respect. In fact, I think the only thing missing from AC1 was mission diversity and the ability to blend with a crowd. That's all they needed to add to AC2, and instead Ubi grabbed the heart of it and ripped it out...

EzioAssassin51
07-10-2010, 06:12 PM
AC3 needs to be more like AC1 in that respect. In fact, I think the only thing missing from AC1 was mission diversity and the ability to blend with a crowd. That's all they needed to add to AC2, and instead Ubi grabbed the heart of it and ripped it out...

I never thought of it that way! And that is so true!

@Xanatos, i couldn't agree more!

Razrback16
07-14-2010, 07:33 AM
Do you think you should be able to sneak in AC:B? I thought it was awkward that in AC2, when you're hunting archers, the best you could do was use your default walk that doesn't look stealthy at all, and if you get close enough to the archer he will always sense you and turn around.

So in AC:B couldn't we get a sneaking button that lets us crouch down a little and walk silently? Or maybe have Ezio change his walking animation into sneaking motion when he gets close enough behind a guard? It's a little silly that a stealth game doesn't let you sneak around like assassins are supposed to do.

I'm surprised the archer always turned around on you -- the only time they would do it to me is if I was in high profile. Doing a normal walk or a fast walk would not blow my cover.

Crucify Lucifer
07-14-2010, 09:12 AM
I think one of the things they should have done was making the night time actually count in missions. Everytime you did a mission at night, you were lit up by the moonlight as if it were mid day. One thing they could have done was adding clouds that would move in front of the moon, giving temporary shadows on the rooftops. This could have been used as a way to sneak up to archers or even to avoid guards in certain areas completely.

AMuppetMatt
07-14-2010, 10:13 AM
Razrback, that's part of the idea. Yes they only turned around if you were in high profile, but it looked a little tacky when you walked up behind someone and killed them without it looking like you were even remotely interested in being stealthy. It needs to be changed IMO.

Also, did anyone else notice that they have UBER sensitive hearing. You could be running along and only JUST in throwing knife or gun range and they would still turn around. I can understand an ability to hear, but couldn't they have halved the hearing distance, or even done 2/3?

DJBare
07-14-2010, 11:19 AM
Your losing these stealth moves for a reason, mass market, if this were developed properly then actions would take time, patience and thought, unfortunately these are attributes lacking in a lot of gamers, this game might be rated mature, but that's not who they are selling too, you know who they are, subtledy is not their way, smashem, bashem and crashem, basically fly through the game killing anything that moves, stratagy?, whats that?
"sighs"; I guess I'm just getting old and grumpy, but I would so love to see this game return to the atmosphere of AC1.

AMuppetMatt
07-14-2010, 11:56 AM
What made AC1 so great?

The fact that Ubi tried something new that was against the general trend of games at the time. They invaded the COD gamer culture and came out with heads held high and a strong fanbase. They had the balls to go out and make something amazing, something that in 10 years every gamer would look back on and say "That's a good game". "That's unique". I honestly believed that's what Assassins Creed was all about.

Fast forward 2/3 years, and they make a game that's just like every other game out there to do with swords. You walk around like some big invincible bully slaying people left right and centre without even having to think about it or try. In 10 years time, people will look back and go "Ac1, that was a great game, that's unique. I wanna play that." When they get to AC2, they'll take one look at the game and say "That was good for about a year, then a game exactly the same with better graphics came out". In 10 years time people won't even glance twice at AC2. They'll just pass over to the next game they can see. AC1 will make them think.

I implore you Ubi... make AC3 the type of game that people will want to play in 10 years time. Go against this culture of "I play to beat thie sh*t outta people".

Get your balls back.

DJ Bare... you are sadly right...

DavisP92
07-14-2010, 03:50 PM

that wouldnt work for assassin's creed. why would u start to crouch sneaking up towards a guard when all u do is touch them and they die. (hidden blade). what they need is something were u can hide behind cover and not just stand. or have a silent abillity or something

DJBare
07-14-2010, 04:01 PM
I implore you Ubi... make AC3 the type of game that people will want to play in 10 years time. Go against this culture of "I play to beat thie sh*t outta people".

Get your balls back.

DJ Bare... you are sadly right... Yeah, it's like movies, you have the classic, then you have the hollywood, AC has started out as a classic, sadly it appears to be moving toward hollywood!

EzioAssassin51
07-15-2010, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Ulqui4rra:
I think one of the things they should have done was making the night time actually count in missions. Everytime you did a mission at night, you were lit up by the moonlight as if it were mid day. One thing they could have done was adding clouds that would move in front of the moon, giving temporary shadows on the rooftops. This could have been used as a way to sneak up to archers or even to avoid guards in certain areas completely.

I agree, good idea!

Plus, they said some missions would only be available at night but that never happened! Even if it was during the day you could go to the guy for the mission and it would just turn to night time!
And when do the archers change shifts? I never see a difference in some Archer's position if it's night time!

@Pdavis 3 - That is actually pretty good! If we don't have a crouch like in BAA lets have a cover like in BAA (BAA was good at stealth, what else can i say?) and be able to throw throwing knives from it (instead of the batarang), or be able to jump out and kill the archer!

A funny thing to be able to do is scare the archer so he falls of the roof http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
(not actually in the game though)

DavisP92
07-15-2010, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by EzioAssassin51:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ulqui4rra:

I agree, good idea!

Plus, they said some missions would only be available at night but that never happened! Even if it was during the day you could go to the guy for the mission and it would just turn to night time!
And when do the archers change shifts? I never see a difference in some Archer's position if it's night time!

@Pdavis 3 - That is actually pretty good! If we don't have a crouch like in BAA lets have a cover like in BAA (BAA was good at stealth, what else can i say?) and be able to throw throwing knives from it (instead of the batarang), or be able to jump out and kill the archer!

A funny thing to be able to do is scare the archer so he falls of the roof http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
(not actually in the game though) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ha thanks. i honestly don't kno what BAA is tho. but the stealth for AC2 was always a problem, even when u had don't be detected missions. u fail them if u run at a guard and kill him b4 he screams for help. and yea the night missions were kinda lame they should have something that can really work at night. like blending in with the darkness when its night since there weren't supposed to be many people out on the streets.

Oh and about ur scare a guard off a roof idea. that would be cool, they probably wont do it. but in forli (the place in AC2 that looks all muggy) u can gentle push some guards in the water, killing them. And the other guard wont attack u.

lilbacchant
07-15-2010, 01:53 PM
What made AC1 so great?

The fact that Ubi tried something new that was against the general trend of games at the time. Get your balls back.

DJ Bare... you are sadly right...

Sadly, you're both right. I'm hoping that building up the assassin's faction (and when/how to use recruits for Ezio's missions) will involve some strategic thinking in AC:B ... but I'm not holding my breath.

I remember loving to play stealthy characters in Oblivion because of how it was implemented there. I wish Ubi would have BOTH social and environmental stealth be vital aspects of all, or at least most, missions; unfortunately in AC2, stealth seemed like an afterthought merely carried over from AC1 for legacy reasons.

Ru1986
07-16-2010, 10:03 AM
I dont get why you all love AC1 so much its a very boring game in comparison to AC2 NO DATABASE for starters. Plus Altair's rubbish i keep reverting back to this but he speaks American???? Not a good look.

Murcuseo
07-16-2010, 10:07 AM
Was this discussion not once about sneaking?

Or are they planning or merging it with this? (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/2281008558)

Black_Widow9
07-16-2010, 12:28 PM
Let me remind you what this discussion is-

You can carry out the other discussion here-
AC1 better than AC2 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/2281008558)

X10J
07-16-2010, 03:52 PM
how about left bumper. i never used the contextual camera.

EzioAssassin51
07-16-2010, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by X10J:
how about left bumper. i never used the contextual camera.

Oh right, that's what it was used for!! Yeah ditch that for the sneaking or whatever!

Marios725
07-17-2010, 02:59 AM
in my opinion we dont need crouch. There are many ways to assassinate archers without seeing u. They just notice u because u choose to kill them with the fastest way(go behind them to kill them)and besides they notice u only if u run or sprint. otherwise they wont even notice u are there

sm312
07-17-2010, 05:56 PM
You guys totally <span class="ev_code_RED">BURNED</span> me but yeah I totally agree with everything you say! But hopfully in ACB, or even AC3, they bring that stealth back into play.