PDA

View Full Version : Why I believe AC:R superior to AC:B

ElGuybrush
12-02-2011, 09:18 PM
#1: Perfect size of gamespace
Brotherhood suffered from such a vast space that I felt it an impediment - traveling from one side to the other outgrew the entertainment of free running (particularly in rural areas).

The horse did little to resolve this for me because I always felt that Ezio wouldn't just ride around knocking civilians out of his way with the horse, and ultimately you had to do that to get somewhere fast.

Though the ropes are a little too few and far between to really add much, the rooftops are thick enough to allow roof running to practically anywhere.

#2 - Missions much fairer
I don't know if you remember the tank mission in brotherhood, or the timed sequence in the bathhouses beneath the Colosseum, but as someone who really has to get 100% sync, I hated them.

The missions haven't failed me on something unfair or our of my control (like one arrow randomly hitting my flying machine). The timed missions seem a bit more generous, for which I am thankful.

#3 - access to the whole city right away

I took down the assassin dens, got my assassins leveled up and removed the threat of having to play the den defense game very quickly. The Mediterranean mini-game is almost like a facebook sort of game but in a good way.

Thanks for letting me get that out of the way so I can focus on the story.

So yeah, that's my two cents, and I really am enjoying this far more, perhaps because I felt too many missions in AC:B punished me unjustly. I could pass them, but trying to get from 50% to 100% too often devolved into me getting ****ed off and having to go take a smoke break. I didn't have that experience much in AC2 and am glad to be rid of it in AC:R(So far)

kriegerdesgottes
12-02-2011, 09:36 PM
I agree that Revelations fixes the things that you said. I certainly agree with you about the awfulness of timed missions but I do miss the assassination missions which really should be there and I miss horses a little sometimes and I miss the VR missions which would be cool with the addition of janissaries which I also think was done much better in ACR. The flying machine sucked in ACB in my opinion. It was so much more fun to fly in ACII. I thought Rome was cool too but they really did a nice job with Constantinople.

catkiller97
12-02-2011, 09:39 PM
Completed ACR With 100% total Sync in Story and Secondary mission http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif.

inf1nity07
12-02-2011, 10:50 PM
I agree with everything you said.
But the one thin that makes me wince in ACR was the carriage missions when your beign dragged and when your flying and sophia is just idk, it was kind of embarrasing.
But despite that i got over it,
and enjoyed the game.

Dagio12
12-02-2011, 11:16 PM
I agree with the horses ordeal in ACB. Nothing was more immersive breaking than needing to tail a target on horseback and trying to be subtle, but plowing through citizens and passing by guards.. it just felt.. idk, awkward. Another thing i thought ACR did great, was the story missions, I thought they felt really believable and were well put together.

twenty_glyphs
12-03-2011, 12:31 AM
Without a doubt Constantinople has better free-running than Rome. It was embarrassing how little good free-running you could do on rooftops in Rome after how great Venice had been in AC2. The pathways along the sides of buildings in Revelations are pretty well planned and give you good options to choose your route. The ziplines are nice, but there just aren't enough of them to really enjoy that much. And in Galata they are pretty much one-way down towards the Golden Horn.

Technically Constantinople is a better map than Rome, but I still can't bring myself to like it as much as Rome in some regards. Even though Constantinople is hilly, I don't feel that as much as in Rome because the slopes constantly change and walkways layer on top of each other so much. In Rome I liked how there were hills that felt distinct from the surrounding land, especially on the eastern side of the map with the fields overlooking the city. I like Constantinople's maze of paths, but there's just something about it that I can't get fully behind. I also feel too crowded in Constantinople. I'm glad they tried to pack it in after how sparse Rome was but it feels more claustrophobic than Venice, which I think was the most dense city in the AC2 trilogy.

I totally agree about horses in Rome. It was nice that you could call them at anytime, but they still just felt weird. And the lack of galloping really nerfed them. The tailing missions while on horseback were terrible, because the target would go incredibly fast and you're trying to go fast and not be seen without being able to hide in a crowd.

YHHTQ
12-03-2011, 01:46 AM
Overall, I also enjoyed far more the free-running elements from Constantinopole, as well as the fact that the WHOLE map was available straight way; Also, the storyline, with Ezio and Alta´r on the forefront was just awesome to say the least, not to mention I loved how by the end of the game, Desmond had accepted his identity as an assassin.

However, there are things that I DEFINATELY miss from Brotherhood.

The DaVinci missions were one to say the least... Not only they allowed us to get out of Rome for a short period of time but they also deviated quite a bit from the usual template of the series, when it comes to the gameplay.

I also missed the sequences where you had to explore Rome in the sewers, catacombs, whatever, in search of the keys to unlock the armor of Brutus; In Revelations, the ones for the Masyaf Keys were either not as great or too short to enjoy, not to mention smaller in number. Also, Hagia Sophia was cool but far too short as well.

Finally, the guild missions. Some of them were pretty similar but they added replay value nonetheless, especially some of the harder ones, such as the time-trial races. We were supposed to have random missions of all sorts in Revelations yet the ONLY two I was able to find are just plain boring.

Overall, a great game but not ENTIRELY superior to Brotherhood IMO.

ElGuybrush
12-03-2011, 03:20 PM
YHHTQ, the da-vinci missions and sewers/catacombs were the most frustrating parts for me. Had they been more forgiving with 100% sync I'd have probably enjoyed them but as is many were a pain

The assassination missions for Ezio are something I'd say deserves to make a return (though admittedly he's got up to 60 or so assassins at his disposal (including medi def) so it might seem strange for a headmaster to do basic tasks, as for the guild missions I felt they'd been replaced with the assassin missions fairly well.

Eregost
12-03-2011, 03:58 PM
100% synch is supposed to be a challenge. They are optional and just reward you with a skin. If you find them too difficult, don't do them.

The only two in ACB that showed poor game design are the Tank and Bomber missions which required you to avoid being hit when manning the vehicle, which wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to repeat the entire mission from the start every time you failed. I think it should have let you simply restart the vehicle sequence instead of having to go through all the action leading up to capturing the vehicle as well since there is no way you can fail the synch in that part of the mission.