PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for BOB regarding bombing

Bansai Potato
06-16-2004, 06:19 PM
Target aerial photographs

I have quite enjoyed flying a bomber campaign in FB and as BOB was all about the aerial defence of the UK i imaging bombing will be quite important to the axis side of things. So i would like to suggest some sort of aerial photgraph of the target to feature in the mission briefing, this is something that i think both sides did for their airforces throughout the war and would certainly help with the bomb aiming. If a photo could not be placed in the briefing how about a diagram, showing key things around the target. This way an aircraft will be able to pick out roughly where the target is from some way off and be able to drop bombs more accurately. I think this was a feature that appeared in a few games before such as Janes: WWII Fighters, and Red Baron, possibly more. It would certainly add that feeling of depth to the offline campaign flyers. Any chance of having this feature for BOB and PF

classic

http://homepage.hispeed.ch/Ede_EAF92/EAF/24890632.92EastIndiaSquadronpersonnel.jpg

Bansai Potato
06-16-2004, 06:19 PM
Target aerial photographs

I have quite enjoyed flying a bomber campaign in FB and as BOB was all about the aerial defence of the UK i imaging bombing will be quite important to the axis side of things. So i would like to suggest some sort of aerial photgraph of the target to feature in the mission briefing, this is something that i think both sides did for their airforces throughout the war and would certainly help with the bomb aiming. If a photo could not be placed in the briefing how about a diagram, showing key things around the target. This way an aircraft will be able to pick out roughly where the target is from some way off and be able to drop bombs more accurately. I think this was a feature that appeared in a few games before such as Janes: WWII Fighters, and Red Baron, possibly more. It would certainly add that feeling of depth to the offline campaign flyers. Any chance of having this feature for BOB and PF

classic

http://homepage.hispeed.ch/Ede_EAF92/EAF/24890632.92EastIndiaSquadronpersonnel.jpg

diomedes33
06-18-2004, 09:33 PM
bump

Good Idea, Would be nice to see what you have to attack before you get there. At least then you'd know you got the right target.

http://www.public.asu.edu/~guthriec/ubi_sig.jpg

JG54_Lukas
06-19-2004, 12:41 AM
Agreed, good idea. Aces over Europe had this feature as well.

Flygflottilj16_Sulan
06-19-2004, 01:56 AM
Would be very nice...

Muddy_Longbow
06-19-2004, 03:49 AM
Agreed

Bansai Potato
06-20-2004, 07:23 AM
Bump maybe a few more positive views and they may look at including this sort of feature.

Blackjack174
06-21-2004, 09:18 AM
yes , something like a .jpg picturefile that can fit into the briefing or opens in a new windoe would be fine , maybe even for FB in the future ?
(new java overlay window like "arming" screen etc.) ??

Snuffy_Hadden
06-21-2004, 10:55 AM
B-17II had this covered, by allowing the player to send a recon aircraft to the next intended target while the player was taking out another target.

Once the target was reconned, he could watch a movie of the intended target in the briefing room before the mission.

Of course many guys over at B-A who fly for the v8th had the pathfinders and an S-2 group who flew all the targets and compiled jpgs of them.

Perhaps this would be an option in BoB.

*** "Proud Member of the White Star Protectorate Society!" ***

IKG26Redcoat
06-22-2004, 02:06 PM
Not for BOB. Recon was very limited in 1939-40, as Bomber Commands first attempts on German battleships shows, the attacks at Schilling Roads(?) the recon aircraft had to fly all the way home and report his finds person because his **** radio packed up. Bomber Command were gathering all kinds of info about the continant, even down to seaside picture postcards because they were so skint for info. For a 40-45 Bomber Command sim, def. For a later war game (like FB) it would be a nice addition.

There are a lot of people, who say, that bombing can never win a war. Well, my answer to that, is that it has never been tried yet, and we shall see.
Sir Arthur Harris
CinC Bomber Command

diomedes33
06-23-2004, 01:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IKG26Redcoat:
Not for BOB. Recon was very limited in 1939-40, as Bomber Commands first attempts on German battleships shows, the attacks at Schilling Roads(?) the recon aircraft had to fly all the way home and report his finds person because his **** radio packed up. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was the recon just as bad for the germans? How did they know what targets to hit. I think the He-111 rode radar beams to their targets, but how did they decide on the targets.

However from what I've read and seen, it doesn't seem like Hitler really cared what he was bombing as long he was hitting a city in Great Brittain.

I'm curious, you never hear much about the guys without the guns and bombs.

http://www.public.asu.edu/~guthriec/ubi_sig.jpg

tfu_iain1
06-24-2004, 06:18 AM
Didnt the Gerries do a load of recon pre-war with the hindenberg? i know they did a lot of it with AN airship, so they had quite up to date maps and images, at least of buildings. that and theyd bought them from britain before the war, and they would have had stuff like 'steelworks' 'supermarine factory' 'bedford factory' marked quite nicely on the O/S maps!

IKG26Redcoat
06-24-2004, 07:41 AM
The Germans did a hell of a lot of recon over Britain and northern france in 1939. This is what the called the phoney war. In fact this may be a good element for the offline campaigns. With usual german thoroughness, they had a complete invasion plan worked out for in advance, probally before the fall of france. The gestapo even had arrest lists with names and adresses made, so I imagine the recon intel was pretty good.

There are a lot of people, who say, that bombing can never win a war. Well, my answer to that, is that it has never been tried yet, and we shall see.
Sir Arthur Harris
CinC Bomber Command