PDA

View Full Version : New to IL2 - Hello and a couple of questions

riggs_SC
03-23-2008, 11:16 AM
Hi folks. I'm completely new to IL2 Sturmovik 1946...and what an EXCELLENT sim it is!

Been playing for about two weeks now, mostly practicing takeoffs and landings, using Zeus-cat's "Straight From the Farm" missions and more recently the FMB where I've learned how to load a map and place an aircraft of my choosing on available runways.

BTW, thank you Zeus-cat for your practice missions. I haven't explored all of them yet, but the first few gave me quick access to practicing takeoffs and landings (in a forgiving aircraft) and they were very helpful and also very well done http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Now I'm beginning to use the QMB to set up scenarios where I can shoot at stuff. Easy targets for now...bombers and transports.

At this point I have a couple of questions I hope the members of the community can help me with.

(1) Certain aircraft don't seem to be able to fire by default (dont have bullets, cannons) when I use the FMB to practice takeoffs and landings. I load up a map, pick my aircraft, set it for "takeoff," checkmark the "player" box, save mission and then play it. When the mission loads, my aircraft appears on the runway ready for takeoff, but when I pull the trigger, no bullets, no cannons, nothing happens. Most aircraft I place on the runway DO fire, but certain ones do not. I think I've even tried the same "non-firing" aircraft in the QMB, to see if the same thing happened, and I think it did. The quick mission puts me in the sky, I pull the trigger to see if the cannons work...nope...no ammo. Not sure if I remember which ones weren't firing...I think the La5 fn and another. Can somebody tell me what's going on there and how to get them firing?

(2) Yesterday I used the QMB for some beginner gunnery practice...me (in a Hurricane) in the sky with a few enemy bombers and transports. BLUE ARROWS on the edges of my screen showed me the direction of the enemy aircraft when I lost sight of them offscreen...very helpful for a newbie!! Today when I played, though, the BLUE ARROWS were gone!!! And I can't figure out how to get them back or what (Difficulty setting) controls whether they are displayed or not. I'd really like to use the arrows for awhile while I learn how to fly and shoot properly!

Any help would be much appreciated.
BTW...I'm patched to ver 4.08

Riggs

general_kalle
03-23-2008, 12:38 PM
1. make sure to take the safety catches off.
a security made on planes to avoid pilots firing on the runway or so. usually you take om off when you spot an enemy aircraft.

in the game its done by pressing left control+E
if that doenst work then you've probably accidentaly chosen the loadout to be EMTPY. so no ammo.

make sure the plane loadout is set to default

2. the arrows only appear when you turn Cocpit off. cntrl+F1 i think. dont use it myself

foxyboy1964
03-23-2008, 12:44 PM
Hello.

The only reason I can think of for the guns not firing is if you have selected Empty in the Loadout(it might be called Armament) section of the menu. If you are using the La5 then you should leave that section at Default.

The arrows round the edge of the screen only show up in the No Cockpit view. We call that the Wonder Woman view because of the colours of the dials that show up on the screen. Just keep pressing the key you have assigned to No Cockpit and the arrows should reappear.

Good luck and post back if you still have problems.

foxyboy1964
03-23-2008, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by general_kalle:

tsk tsk, thats very cruel http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif. Cntrl+E will make your pilot bail out. General Kalle is pulling your leg.

Zeus-cat
03-23-2008, 01:13 PM
Welcome riggs_SC. I am glad to hear that my training campaign has been helpful.

Bearcat99
03-23-2008, 01:16 PM
Hit the Nugget's Guide in my sig. There you will find if you scroll down a link to a QMB alternative called Mission Mate. Mission Mate is a community member made quick mission generator that is much more versatile than the in game QMB. It has a detailed help file and it is not hard to learn. IMO it is better to learn it now.. it will give you near FMB power with QMB ease.

As for not having guns.. I agree with foxy.. you probably mistakenly selected no ammo in your load out.

As for the arrows... again ... the arrows are seen in no cockpit with icons turned on.. I suggest that you either A-Stay in the cockpit with the icons... or B-If you prefer an open pit turn the icons off.. Personally I like a close dpit and icons... I dont know what kind of stick and viewing soultion you have, but TIR is a great tool and IMO a HOTAS is a must. For a more detailed explanation of those terms read the Nugget's Guide.

Welcome aboard.

crucislancer
03-23-2008, 01:55 PM
Hi Riggs,

Just out of curiosity, how do you have your machine guns and cannons set up in the controls screen? The default is MGs on button 1 (usually the trigger) and cannons on button 2. Certain planes that only have cannon armament will only fire if you hit the cannon button. This might be the cause of some of the planes not firing. The F4U-1C and Tempest are a couple of planes like this. On the load out screen, as long as you don't put "Empty" for the loadout, the plane should have ammo for guns and cannon.

I hope that helps, and welcome!

riggs_SC
03-26-2008, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the quick replies and help you guys. I've found the blue arrows again in No Cockpit (Wonder Woman) view and the guns not firing in certain aircraft is no longer a mystery. Crucislancer, you nailed the no guns thing, got me going in the right direction...turns out certain aircraft don't have MG's, only cannons (La Series for example), and my X-52 trigger button was configured to only fire Weapon 1.

Recently downloaded--

>Hardball's Aircraft Viewer...very cool and handy!
>Mission Mate...haven't installed it yet but from what I've read it sounds excellent.

Thanks again,
Riggs

crucislancer
03-26-2008, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by riggs_SC:
Thanks for the quick replies and help you guys. I've found the blue arrows again in No Cockpit (Wonder Woman) view and the guns not firing in certain aircraft is no longer a mystery. Crucislancer, you nailed the no guns thing, got me going in the right direction...turns out certain aircraft don't have MG's, only cannons (La Series for example), and my X-52 trigger button was configured to only fire Weapon 1.

Recently downloaded--

>Hardball's Aircraft Viewer...very cool and handy!
>Mission Mate...haven't installed it yet but from what I've read it sounds excellent.

Thanks again,
Riggs

My pleasure.

Both of those utilities are really handy. Once you get acclimated to how the sim functions, there are a few others that you might be interested in, like MAT Manager v2.36 (http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=3117), which replaces the default markings with better, more historically acurate ones, highly configurable. Also, I highly recommend JoyControl (http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=1021), especially if you use the X52. I use the rotary dials on the throttle for Elevator and Rudder trim, so I had to dial down the sensitivity using this program, or it would be tough to accurately trim the plane.

TgD Thunderbolt56
03-26-2008, 10:54 AM
You also have one option in the controls screen that assignes a single trigger/button to fire BOTH weapons 1&2. You may want to have it setup that way so you can more easily switch between types and still use your main trigger for all the different aircraft types.

crucislancer
03-26-2008, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by TgD Thunderbolt56:
You also have one option in the controls screen that assignes a single trigger/button to fire BOTH weapons 1&2. You may want to have it setup that way so you can more easily switch between types and still use your main trigger for all the different aircraft types.

One of the pros of the X52 is that it has a 2-stage trigger. I have my MGs set for the first stage, the second stage is cannons. Press a little for the MGs, once I've got him where I want him I press the trigger fully. Very handy.

buzzsaw1939
03-26-2008, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by foxyboy1964:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by general_kalle:

tsk tsk, thats very cruel http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif. Cntrl+E will make your pilot bail out. General Kalle is pulling your leg. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And he sounded so sincere.. I had to read it 3 times! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif