PDA

View Full Version : If you didn't notice -- latest patch

maztec
11-02-2004, 12:42 PM
has been released and DO NOT USE THE PATCH UNLESS IT FIXES A BUG YOU WERE SPECIFICALLY EXPERIENCING -- its got bugs http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif. Until someone says otherwise, I believe it's safe to use it to beat the Spire puzzle, then roll back.

I put details here:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=580100736&m=3861074432

I'm sure you can find out more in other places too.

Maz

stanhin
11-02-2004, 01:17 PM
The long-awaited patch gave me time enough to finish the Spire chair on the second try after installing it; however, it has really screwed up the rest of the game. Now, after I finish the bomb puzzle; ride the up elevator; link back to Tomanha; and get out of the room with the pinpoint light puzzle, I can't get off the balcony. There are some weird renderings and regardless whether I try to go straight ahead or use zip mode to get out of there, the game crashes to desktop. One step forward; two steps back ;-)

maztec
11-02-2004, 01:43 PM
Did you have to do the ares config file patch earlier for a Radeon card?

More details on your system please http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Maz

stanhin
11-02-2004, 02:09 PM
I didn't have to do any patching earlier at all. The game played fine until I installed this patch. In fact, before I installed it, all I had left to do was to finish the timed puzzle in Spire so that I could get the color code from the elevator door in Spire so I could finish the color puzzle in Serenia. My graphics card is an NVidia GeForce 2 MX/Mx 400, which worked just peachy until now. It would have been nice (and sensible) for the game designers to have released one patch that did nothing except change the timing on the spire chair, instead of trying to correct other things that might not need correcting at all in a particular game (such as mine).

Magician
11-02-2004, 02:09 PM
Hrmn... I tried the patch to see if the copy protection system may have been removed so it'll play normally on my computer. Alas, it still doesn't work...

For your reference, I've tried
1) updating firmware/driver on my DVD Drives
2) set the DVD-ROM drive as the Secondary Master (there's also a DVD-writer drive, which is currently the Secondary Slave - I've tried disconnecting this writer drive totally and the game still didn't work)
3) Removed ALL programs capable of writing to CD
4) Made sure I do not have any virtual drive applications running
5) Reformatted the computer and re-installed Windows

My DVD-ROM drive is: LG GDR-8163B
My DVD-RAM drive is: LG GSA-4082B

Please note, before I got my DVD-ROM drive (I actually had ONLY the DVD-RAM drive for a period of time), the game actually worked... it's only after installing the DVD-ROM drive the game stopped working.

Please let me know if you require any other info. Thanks! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

maztec
11-02-2004, 02:48 PM
stanhin, can you post your full directX information?

.. and, if the patch don't work for you, rollback I guess http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Magician, send me a private message if you need help with getting it to work while you have both DVD drive sinstalled..

Maz

stanhin
11-02-2004, 02:56 PM
Maz--how do I "roll back" or uninstall the patch? It occurs to me I might be able to save my save game that I made right after I beat the spire chair and then, after the patch is uninstalled, continue on from that point? Feasible? Or maybe I could uninstall the game, except that saved game, and then reinstall the whole game and start from that saved game point?

Patrick1982
11-02-2004, 02:59 PM
Well, I encountered quite similar problems after installing the so called "patch", especially these two bugs. (Beside I'm using a Radeon 9500pro with newest drivers.)
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>The depth-effect can not be used any longer.
<LI>There are various graphics errors. Mainly some areas of the image looks corrupted.
[/list]After reinstalling the game without the "patch" everything was fine again.

It's somewhat like fixing 5 problems and introducing 10 new... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Eat_My_Shortz
11-02-2004, 03:36 PM
Looks a bit more like 2 new, not 10 new http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

But YES that is bad if indeed its widespread. (Hopefully not, and also of course hope that you guys fix your issues).

But its reminding me a bit of the FarCry patch (also from Ubisoft) which totally wrecked the game and had to be recalled.
(Havent played yet so I don't know).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It occurs to me I might be able to save my save game that I made right after I beat the spire chair and then, after the patch is uninstalled, continue on from that point? Feasible? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not sure. Most computer games will say "NO" because the newer save games are in a slightly different format wich cannot be read by older versions. However, since the patch didn't change *much* it may be OK. You'll have to try it out.

stanhin
11-02-2004, 03:52 PM
If you saw how screwed up the graphics are on mine now, you would be amazed. There are little one-inch square boxes all over the place, and much of each scene is almost black until you scroll over it, when some of it may appear, and, of course, like I said, you crash if you try to simply go forward in a bunch of places. I finally managed to make it to the old office that has the Serenia linking book, but, to get there, I basically had to guess at each screen because the way ahead was almost totally blank. Of course, when I did get there, the book didn't work, and then, shortly after that, I crashed to desktop again. I also tried linking in to another age through an earlier saved game, but the graphics in that age were screwed up, too, so the game is essentially f**ked.

stoddman
11-02-2004, 04:08 PM
I screwed up also and installed the patch (1.01) and square boxes everywhere. How do I unstalled that crappy patch? I thought I would reinstall but my save folder is empty? How could that be? When I play Myst lV I have 4 save games. But what folder are they in? This Sucks. Guess it's partly my fault for not having sytems restore (GO-Back) on. Please help!

Specs:
Win XP Pro sp2
Direct X 9.0c
1022 MB
CPU p4 3.06
ATI-AIW 9600-128MB (build 6483) CAT 4.10 drivers

stanhin
11-02-2004, 04:22 PM
stoddman--my saved games are in a strange place, too--they are in my C:\Documents and Settings\[my name]\my documents

maztec
11-02-2004, 04:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stanhin:
Maz--how do I "roll back" or uninstall the patch? It occurs to me I might be able to save my save game that I made right after I beat the spire chair and then, after the patch is uninstalled, continue on from that point? Feasible? Or maybe I could uninstall the game, except that saved game, and then reinstall the whole game and start from that saved game point? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

uninstall/reinstall, keep save games.

Gatch_2000
11-02-2004, 04:30 PM
I just installed the new patch... went to Spire, and most of the landscape is black, apart from a few odd squares... i can't face going anywhere else to see how messed up it surely all is now... i knew it was going to be a mistake to just trust it and install http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Radeon 9200 DX9c blah blah... gee... if Half Life 2 isn't all it's cracked up to be soon i'm giving up on computer games http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif (not really... but ack!... ACK!!)

maztec
11-02-2004, 04:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Patrick1982:
Well, I encountered quite similar problems _after_ installing the so called "patch", especially these two bugs. (Beside I'm using a Radeon 9500pro with newest drivers.)
+ The depth-effect can _not_ be used any longer.
+ There are various graphics errors. Mainly some areas of the image looks corrupted.
After reinstalling the game _without_ the "patch" everything was fine again.

It's somewhat like fixing 5 problems and introducing 10 new... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks like it misdetected your setup and assumed you have a lower end radeon card, thus using the ares config file change and screwing things up http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

maztec
11-02-2004, 04:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eat_My_Shortz:

Not sure. Most computer games will say "NO" because the newer save games are in a slightly different format wich cannot be read by older versions. However, since the patch didn't change *much* it may be OK. You'll have to try it out. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Save file format shouldn't have been changed too much. Only change as far as I am aware is how some of the images are stored... Give it a try, keep backups, let us know.

stanhin
11-02-2004, 05:36 PM
okay--everyone--I am very pleased to report that I was able to put my saved games in a safe place, uninstall the game, reinstall it, put the saved games back where they should be, and then resume the game after the point where I beat the spire chair with the new patch, but without any of the graphics problems caused by the new patch. so, if all you want to do is beat the spire chair, that's a somewhat roundabout way to do it--install the patch, beat it, save the game, copy save file to safe place, uninstall and reinstall the game, put saved file back, sart game and load the saved file. thank goodness it's not a complete bust

maztec
11-02-2004, 05:52 PM
Great to hear stanhin.

Ok, if you are experiencing problems with the patch. Please detail what those problems are here. Also, please detail what your video card is -- and other system hardware. Plus OS.

That'd be very helpful. I am forwarding all issues to Ubi, in groups.

Again, if you aren't experiencing problems fixed by the ugprade, don't upgrade. If you upgrade and it fixes your problem, but creates new problems elsewhere, beat the problem areas then downgrade.

I'd apologize for the inconvenience -- but I'll leave that to Ubi.

Maz

compucat35
11-02-2004, 07:30 PM
Ok...just wanted to add my two cents. I guess this is the topic to do it.

I too have an NVidia card. A MX-400 to be exact. I had that monkey house problem. The patch fixed that right up. It was great. I was all pumped & ready to move on. Then...beautiful nighttime Tomhana became a video display nightmare. It's even hard to describe. I saw colored squares AND black squares intersecting each other. Outside of Atrus' bedroom, it was a spooky inverted black & white color. Yet, if i returned to Spire and/or Haven (or even Windows) it's fine. Tried another saved game - same results. Also played around with the graphics options (gamma, brightness, etc.) no use. I saved my "saved games" to another location, uninstalled the game, re-installed the game and my "saved games" folder, and now it's fine. Sorry for the long post.

Specs:

XP Pro SP2
NVidia MX-400 6.1.7.7 driver
P4 1.9 GHz
256 MB RDRAM

jtbigger
11-02-2004, 07:51 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif I used the new patch.....i have a radeon 9200 card.....IT DIDNT WORK!!! i did a complete install. it still freezes before the waterfall and the girl or a little after it.
i flashed my DVD player....it is from MADDOG.
so here i am again. please let me know when they figure it out or dont.....jt

maztec
11-03-2004, 01:05 AM
jt, I plan to. This is getting rediculous http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

cyoung66
11-03-2004, 07:37 AM
Sadly, the patch did not solve the freezing problem for me (in the observatory, after the beginning).

My concern is that the patch document said that it has a workaround for a problem with ATI cards in Windows XP. However, like many others, I was experiencing the problem in Windows 2000, not XP. I have an ATI Mobility 7500, with the latest drivers.

I recognise that laptops are not officially supported, but given that the problem seem to cross platforms, I don't think that this is a laptop issue.

Does Ubisoft/Cyan understand that this was not just an XP problem, or is the patch just not living up to its billing?

maztec
11-03-2004, 12:14 PM
Probably only had people wit hXP report it.

Appears that the fix for that caused more problems in Tomahna than it fixed anyway...

Magician
11-03-2004, 12:26 PM
Hola,

As feedback, I'd like to report that the patch actually wrecks the game graphics for me - I use GeXcube ATI Radeon 9600 XT Extreme with 128MB of memory. The game is still playable, but the graphics distorted in shadowy places... (if there's another place where I can provide feedbacks and reports, please let me know).

LordTulla
11-03-2004, 01:31 PM
What a sad day... Installing the PC 1.01 patch ruined Spire's graphics (looks like lots of little colored squares), and who knows what else it adversely affects... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gifhttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

IMO, this patch has to be the worst case of poor quality control / bug testing I've seen in any of the MYST series games - beginning from the original MYST.

T.O.O.O.
11-03-2004, 03:33 PM
I clicked on the Mac patch link, but all I got was a page of gibberish. What happened?

LordTulla
11-03-2004, 04:10 PM
NewsFlash... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Recovering from the MYST IV PC v1.01 patch problems does NOT have to entail completely uninstalling and reinstalling the game...! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif I believe all you need to do is copy (overwrite) 15 DLL files from the MYST IV disc 1. Here's what I did to restore my MYST IV game:
1) Place the blue MYST IV (Disc 1) DVD in your computer's drive
2) Using WIN Explorer find the D:\win32\bin folder
3) Highlight the 15 M4..........DLL files dated 9/4/2004
4) Copy these files to your C:\Program Files\UBISOFT\Myst IV - Revelation\bin folder - allow these files to overwrite the existing files dated 10/20/20004

That's it! No need to go through all that unistall & reinstallation fiasco. It worked for me and I'll bet it works for you... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

maztec
11-04-2004, 01:30 PM
And if you're fine being without Depth of Field.. Try this out:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=580100736&m=8721043832&r=8721043832#8721043832

It worked for me. Although I went ahead and did a full regression, since I like the Depth of Field effect.

Maz

maztec
11-04-2004, 01:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T.O.O.O.:
I clicked on the Mac patch link, but all I got was a page of gibberish. What happened? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right click the link and save file. I'd say you're seeing the contents of the file.

Took me a day to figure out what you were talking about :P

Maz

Draco_13
11-04-2004, 03:22 PM
Old problems: crashes at a particular place in Haven and Spire.
Patch 1.1 installed.
Same problems, no changes. Great

Using ATI Radeon 7500 in a laptop. I know it's a laptop and thus not supported, but the rest of the game until those two spots works great, so it does not seem to be a laptop issue.

My dxdiag (part):
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 11/4/2004, 23:18:56
Machine name: *******
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1 (2600.xpsp2_gdr.040517-1325)
Language: Spanish (Regional Setting: Spanish)
System Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
System Model: Sheeks - Northwood/Brookdale Customer Reference Board
BIOS: BIOS Revision: 1.01.09
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz, ~2.4GHz
Memory: 510MB RAM
Page File: 265MB used, 984MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.0001.0904 32bit Unicode
DxDiag Previously: Crashed in system information (stage 3)

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
Display Tab 1: The file ati2dvag.dll is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Music Tab: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.
Network Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (n/a)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: ATI MOBILITY RADEON 7500 (Omega 2.5.90)
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc. (Omega 2.5.90)
Chip type: MOBILITY RADEON 7500 AGP (0x4C57)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4C57&SUBSYS_56001558&REV_00
Display Memory: 64.0 MB
Current Mode: 1400 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Monitor predeterminado
Monitor Max Res:
Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6490 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 9/16/2004 02:58:46, 218624 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: No
WHQL Date Stamp: None
VDD: no disponible
Mini VDD: ati2mtag.sys
Mini VDD Date: 9/27/2004 23:48:22, 834560 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-0F17-11CF-B26F-0A76A1C2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x1002
Device ID: 0x4C57
SubSys ID: 0x56001558
Revision ID: 0x0000
Revision ID: 0x0000
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_D
Deinterlace Caps: {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x32315659) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
Registry: OK
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled
DDraw Test Result: Not run
D3D7 Test Result: Not run
D3D8 Test Result: Not run
D3D9 Test Result: Not run <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

kellockm
11-05-2004, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the help on restoring Spire - it was completely black in places. All graphics are better. (Did not restore the sound dll.)

I'm running a Radeon 9200.

To jtbigger - I had the same problems - freezing in the first 10 minutes of the game and had to reduce my settings fairly drastically. My full explanation is here. (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=580100736&m=7671085032&r=1141023832#1141023832) After progressing in the game a while gradually have been able to turn the graphic settings back up - sound distortions still continue when music cuts in.

Bluefoodog
11-06-2004, 01:49 PM
The patch apparently didn't do anything for me as far as completing the spire chair. Before I am able to complete the third crystal setting, the first one quits. Did the same thing before I installed the patch. This really sucks because the adventure is essentially ended for me at this point. I was really looking forward to the arrival of Myst IV but now I'm just frustrated and disappointed that the programmers would insert a puzzle that cannot possibly be solved unless a person is dextrous enough complete the required actions. I know this has been said before in other posts but my frustration tolerance level has been exceeded.

clynch
11-11-2004, 06:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stanhin:
If you saw how screwed up the graphics are on mine now, you would be amazed. There are little one-inch square boxes all over the place, and much of each scene is almost black until you scroll over it, when some of it may appear, and, of course, like I said, you crash if you try to simply go forward in a bunch of places. I finally managed to make it to the old office that has the Serenia linking book, but, to get there, I basically had to guess at each screen because the way ahead was almost totally blank. Of course, when I did get there, the book didn't work, and then, shortly after that, I crashed to desktop again. I also tried linking in to another age through an earlier saved game, but the graphics in that age were screwed up, too, so the game is essentially f**ked. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have exactly the same problem.

I joined this forum just to answer this question.

I just bought the game and had played tahoma through to spire (including solving the bookcase puzzle) before patching.

After that the rendering issues were just as you describe. The pixelation effect aginst anything not "in focus" was extreme in many places. Unplayable even.

There was also for me a strange constant in that the pixelation would disappear if I "looked up".

Specs:
Win XP Pro SP1 (All updates w/o SP2)
DX 9.0c
1GB DDR400
AMD64 3400 (2.2 GH)
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 CAT 4.10

OneofDex
11-12-2004, 06:42 AM
[EDIT: You're repeating yourself.]

William0240
11-12-2004, 01:21 PM
I don't want to sound overly simplistic but did you go into the ad/remove programs and remove the display driver for your particular card before you installed the new driver? You can find the new driver on Disc one of revelation.
You have to boot after removing the driver. The dispay looks very bad but then install the new one.
This should work. It works for me with ATI 9200, P3 and the patch 1.1.

OneofDex
11-12-2004, 09:50 PM
I wasn't aware that repeating myself was an offence. But I believe some of the forum members are unaware that their problems are all related.

maztec
11-13-2004, 03:29 AM
There is a reason that the subjects are seperated. The issues are not all related.

Funny that.

Maz