PDA

View Full Version : The new Dambusters movie

J.M.LLOYD
04-04-2007, 05:33 AM
Hi All. This may have been posted, but reading recently I see that Peter Jackson [lord of the rings/king kong]is to be the director and Christian Rivers who was responsible for the computer animation in King Kong are to team up and bring to the screen a remake of the 1954 British film The Dam Busters which starred Micheal Redgrave as Barns Wallis and Richard Todd as Guy Gibson. Filming is to start this year [Jackson has already extensively filmed both the interior and exterior of a Lancaster]if we cast our minds back to the class of both Lord of the rings and King Kong I would say we are all in for a treat. The original 1954 version is now very dated,but was filmed using real Lancs and some of the night time low level photography is supurb, have a look its not bad,remember that this May 16/17 will mark the 64th anniversary of the raid.....Cheers

J.M.LLOYD
04-04-2007, 05:33 AM
Hi All. This may have been posted, but reading recently I see that Peter Jackson [lord of the rings/king kong]is to be the director and Christian Rivers who was responsible for the computer animation in King Kong are to team up and bring to the screen a remake of the 1954 British film The Dam Busters which starred Micheal Redgrave as Barns Wallis and Richard Todd as Guy Gibson. Filming is to start this year [Jackson has already extensively filmed both the interior and exterior of a Lancaster]if we cast our minds back to the class of both Lord of the rings and King Kong I would say we are all in for a treat. The original 1954 version is now very dated,but was filmed using real Lancs and some of the night time low level photography is supurb, have a look its not bad,remember that this May 16/17 will mark the 64th anniversary of the raid.....Cheers

TgD Thunderbolt56
04-04-2007, 06:16 AM
I watched the original again a few months ago. I think ANY new attempt of WWII movies these days is welcome. That's certainly no guarantee that it/they will be good, but the track record of these directors/producers has elevated my enthusiasm for sure.

TB

Lurch1962
04-05-2007, 05:54 PM
The gentleman (forget his name) who did the miniature photography for the dam busting sequence was also involved with miniature photography for Star Wars (a little over 20 years later).

--Lurch--

PBNA-Boosher
04-05-2007, 07:02 PM
And knowing Jackson's affinity for miniatures, or Big-atures as he's come to call them, I second the fact that we're in for a treat!

Zeus-cat
04-05-2007, 07:13 PM
This was posted a number of months ago and eventually became a very lengthy thread about should they use the real name of Guy Gibson's dog or not. By now that decision has probably been made so hopefully we won't revisit that discussion.

jensenpark
04-05-2007, 09:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zeus-cat:
This was posted a number of months ago and eventually became a very lengthy thread about should they use the real name of Guy Gibson's dog or not. By now that decision has probably been made so hopefully we won't revisit that discussion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They could take a page from Southpark and call the dog 'nagger'.

leitmotiv
04-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Jackson is producing. A friend of his is directing. Release scheduled for 2008:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0855775/fullcredits

Esel1964
04-06-2007, 03:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leitmotiv:
Jackson is producing. A friend of his is directing. Release scheduled for 2008:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0855775/fullcredits </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the link,Leitmotiv.I'd actually begun to think it was all 'hype',and would likely never happen. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif

leitmotiv
04-06-2007, 05:53 AM
I tried to find new news but there wasn't anything I could find---rather odd that.

HuninMunin
04-06-2007, 06:17 AM
I think thats because its a non american movie; it was really the same with LotR - very sparse information; and LotR for shure earned more public interest before release than this movie...

leitmotiv
04-06-2007, 07:07 AM
True! Tom Cruise isn't playing Gibson and Angelina Jolie isn't playing General Kammhuber---what a huge error!!!!

EURO_Snoopy
04-06-2007, 09:04 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dambusters_(film_remake)

Stephen Fry writing the script,,, that should be 'Quite Interesting http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

jamesdietz
04-06-2007, 09:58 AM
My lips are sealed...at least for the time being...but it could be big news...
Having said that I do like the old film as well & I'm old enough to have seen it in the theaters back in the 50's...but come on guys the special effects were a bit cheesey & that last Lancaster crash model was if I recall done wirh a B-17 model...so some improvements ( vast) are possible . P.Jackson & his t4eam at Weta Workshop are just the team who could do it.I think the question that still is to be answered is,and this is what they are trying to figure out -is there a big enough market for a film like this no matter how good it is?
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d116/jamesdietz/Finish.jpg

leitmotiv
04-06-2007, 10:06 AM
Good point, JD. Outside of the UK and Commonwealth, the people who know about the Dams Raids could probably fill one football stadium. I suspect the Jackson "brand" is expected to be a selling point even though he isn't directing. Guessing by what happened to FLY BOYS, this film may be an El Bomberoony.

goshikisen
04-06-2007, 10:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think the question that still is to be answered is,and this is what they are trying to figure out -is there a big enough market for a film like this no matter how good it is?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'd certainly hope so... having Peter Jackson's name attached to the project should, hopefully, be enough to generate interest amongst those who aren't familiar with the Dambusters.

jamesdietz
04-06-2007, 10:16 AM
What I can tell you & I have sen some of the pre production prep , is IF it gets made it will be perfect...not like the Flyboys comic book movie...

Mysticpuma2003
04-06-2007, 10:33 AM
Well I for one am gutted!

How can anyone possibly want to re-film a classic movie, and because of this project they pulled out of working on "Halo-The Movie"

Ah well, I suppose I'll cope having to watch it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

*WARNING* the above was not a serious comment, I am really looking forward to the film, wonder if it really was this that has delayed Halo (well this and the script of Halo)?

AtlantikEel
04-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Great news! I look forward to this movie; I think that Jackson will do the story justice. The original wasn't bad for it's day. I still watch it on tape occasionally.

Now if any movie should be remade (someone, please!) it is "The Blue Max". As much as I liked the flying sequences in that film, the book (as with most books made into movies) was much better. I realise that much of the adult content of the storyline could not be shown onscreen in the 1960's, but even the fates of characters were changed for the movie (for which changes apologies were made to the author, Jack Hunter). I would like to see the story redone, as Jack Hunter wrote it.

Lead-Brick
04-06-2007, 04:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Now if any movie should be remade (someone, please!) it is "The Blue Max". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now there is a reason that Peter Jackson owns a collection of WW1 fighters (including the only flying Bristol Fighter). I'm not sure he intends to re make blue max but he will be doing a WW1 fighter movie at some stage.

Cheers

Kim

MB_Avro_UK
04-06-2007, 04:32 PM
Hi all,

If the film is made with good actors,good Directors and a fine script, it will be a success http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif.

The essence of the plot involves the true story of a British eccentric inventor who overcame official red-tape to produce a unique and effective 'bouncing bomb'.

His name was Barnes Wallis and long,long after WW2 he became 'Sir Barnes Wallis'. He also designed the Wellington Bomber and is credited with the development of today's 'swing wing' aircraft.

Saving Private Ryan was a cinematic success although the subject matter was not known to most movie audiences.

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

leitmotiv
04-06-2007, 06:02 PM
Er, D-Day is one bit of history just about every one of the nearly 300 million Americans knows. Combine that with with the Spielberg brand and you had an instant money machine. Unfortunately, there aren't 300 million Brits, Canadians, and ANZACs to make a comparable go out of a Dams Raid film. The original DAMBUSTERS film was following a best-selling book about the raid, and was released to a U.S. audience which, at that time, was (1) very receptive to British films (compared to now where only the odd Huge Grunt film has a chance), and (2) very receptive to WWII films and knowledgable about the war. These circumstances do not exist now. In the 1950's the Brits had a great deal of prestige with American audiences assiduously developed by films like MRS. MINIVER which showed the gallant UK slogging on with a stiff upper lip against the odds. All that was instantly kiboshed by the Terry Thomas-like lampoon of Montgomery in PATTON. Ever since, American audiences titter at British WWII-era conventions. Guy Gibson is the just the kind of Englishman to set American teeth on edge---he did not have a common touch. Even one of his own Dams pilots called him a snob. Chuck in the dog and all that Americans will know is that it's a film about an unreconstructed English racist who had bad taste in dog names.

MB_Avro_UK
04-06-2007, 06:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leitmotiv:
Er, D-Day is one bit of history just about every one of the nearly 300 million Americans knows. Combine that with with the Spielberg brand and you had an instant money machine. Unfortunately, there aren't 300 million Brits, Canadians, and ANZACs to make a comparable go out of a Dams Raid film. The original DAMBUSTERS film was following a best-selling book about the raid, and was released to a U.S. audience which, at that time, was (1) very receptive to British films (compared to now where only the odd Huge Grunt film has a chance), and (2) very receptive to WWII films and knowledgable about the war. These circumstances do not exist now. In the 1950's the Brits had a great deal of prestige with American audiences assiduously developed by films like MRS. MINIVER which showed the gallant UK slogging on with a stiff upper lip against the odds. All that was instantly kiboshed by the Terry Thomas-like lampoon of Montgomery in PATTON. Ever since, American audiences titter at British WWII-era conventions. Guy Gibson is the just the kind of Englishman to set American teeth on edge---he did not have a common touch. Even one of his own Dams pilots called him a snob. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Leitmotiv,

For once I disagree with you http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

This film has been picked buy a guy who knows his business.

Let's see how things develop.

One of the Lancaster pilots was only 20 years of age. And each Lancaster had only one pilot.

It's about time there was a modern film about British and Commonwealth guys who gave their all.

(MB_Avro lies down in a darkened room and regulates his breathing with his Nurse...).

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

leitmotiv
04-06-2007, 06:29 PM
I grant you anything is possible, and I'll sure as hell go see it five times, but even the Jackson trademark wasn't enough to make a huge hit out of the KING KONG film which ought to have been a shoo-in in the U.S. The sad fact is that British films now get killed in the U.S. and they even get killed in the U.K.---in the early '90's something like 95p of each pound spent on films in the U.K. were spent on American films! I think Jackson could have thrown a sop to the marketers and cast a recognizable U.K. actor like Hugh Grant or Colin Firth as Gibson. The cast of unknowns may have been folly.

leitmotiv
04-06-2007, 06:37 PM
P.S. Avro, as ex-Royal Navy, what did you think of the grab of the sailors and Marines? What about the Blair Rules of Engagement which didn't allow the ship to defend her boat?

MB_Avro_UK
04-06-2007, 07:04 PM
P.S. Avro, as ex-Royal Navy, what did you think of the grab of the sailors and Marines? What about the Blair Rules of Engagement which didn't allow the ship to defend her boat? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

leitmotiv...

Don't get me started on this subject http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

All I will say is that the Royal Navy crew did their very best with extremely limited resources.

It has also been said that the Government restricted their Rules of Engagement.

Enough said.

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

leitmotiv
04-06-2007, 07:21 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

jamesdietz
04-07-2007, 12:57 PM
BREAKING NEWS!!!!
( pay careful attention to the date of release though...)

4/01/07, 12:06 pm EST - Xoanon

Sources inside Peter Jackson's '3foot6' and WETA have sent along word that
Peter Jackson is working on a live action version of the popular 'Powerpuff
Girls' cartoon. "WETA Workshop is already hard at work on props and
miniatures based on the cartoon," our source reveals "Pete is very excited
about this project and is looking for a Summer 2008 release". Meanwhile,
news that his other projects, directing 'The Lovely Bones' and producing
'Damnbusters', have all been put on the back burner."

HuninMunin
04-07-2007, 01:24 PM
To be honest; as far as I trust Jackson and his production company in terms of technical capability - and even if these capabilities have showen clearly in King Kong and Lord Of The Rings
- King Kong failes because it is a mediacore movie in terms of character developement and pace.
The story is the ultimate of classical Hollywood
entertainment and yet Jackson tried to apply his subtle and nuanced style on it.
I enjoyed King Kong (but I am a Wagner loving German and therefor fall out of the general audience) for its "subtleness" and occasional beauty, but it also proved to me that Jacksons art of directing, wich was the core of the global phenomenon of LotR, is not suited for "more casual" pieces.
The cast is just victim of this fact in my opinion - look at Adrian Brody in "The Pianist" and you will shurely agree that it was not his fault that his character in King Kong was not able to become a true leading role.

About the possible reaction to this film - it deepends on how they are going to play out their cards.
Look at BoB today and try to see it as a narrative (try to isolate it from our personal interest in the era and the battle).
I'm shure you would not try to declare that its more than a sixties version of todays effect fiests - the only true difference beeing that the female audience wasn't as influencial and therefor the absence of a true love story.
This old aproach to the subject (trying to be a good action movie but well researched ) will not succeed today.
They will have to make it either
1. A true drama in terms of "Das Boot" and or to lesser degree "Saving Private Ryan"
or
2. A complete rape of history with big action and little reflection of things.

I am afraid they will try to make both movies in one and fail on high level....
I shure hope I'm wrong though...

Aaron_GT
04-07-2007, 01:29 PM
I take it you refer to Polanki's 'The Pianist' - Great film - made me cry it was that powerful.

I wasn't 100% convinced by the CGI in King Kong. There seemed to be some clipping/collision detection errors in the scenes where they were chased by dinosaurs. Also some of the CGI looked too perfect or too clean which still seems to be a problem with CGI. Sometimes I still think some of Ray Harryhausen's work trumps CGI (e.g. The skeleton fight scene in 'Jason and the Argonauts').

Huxley_S
04-07-2007, 01:56 PM
The only way this movie will work as far as I can see, is if it goes for the All Star Cast approach like the big War orientated blockbusters of the 60s and 70s.... The Longest Day, The Great Escape, Zulu etc etc.

I'd love to see the likes of Michael Cain, Clive Owen, Daniel Craig, Colin Firth, Robert Carlyle, Tom Wilkinson and Ewan McGregor cast in this movie and how about wheeling in Roger Moore for a bit of camp nostalgia!

Without a stellar cast the film will have to rely on special effects to make the film interesting enough to the general cinema-goer and may just end up like another Pearl Harbor.

Still. I have my fingers crossed on this one.

SidCheshire
04-07-2007, 03:11 PM
Is it not true to say that, to a greater degree, the image of the British "stiff upper lip" was promoted by British film studios for a long period after WWII as a way of showing them to be stoical and resilient during difficult times. In contrast, the impression given by U.S. themed, and made, films was a tendancy to focus more on a star actor rather on a true story. An interesting comparison is John Wayne in "The Sands of Iwo Jima" - a true event but dominated by The Duke - and (non WWII) "The Bridges at Toko-Ri" - a fictional story based on something that could have happened and with not-so "big" names for the genre. "Bridges", in my view, worked much better. There are exceptions on both sides of the Atlantic of course, but the overall impression was there. Eventually, British films tended to pale because of this focus. I think any film depicting a UK/Commonwealth related story being made now is going to be difficult because of these years-old perceptions.

Moving to more modern film-making times, I believe that any war movie is going to be difficult to "sell". I am struggling to think of a recent movie depicting combat that has attracted audiences other than by having a "star" eg. Mel Gibson, Nicholas Cage, or is visually heart-arresting e.g. "Saving Private Ryan".

"Dambusters" is a true event. Can the war film genre now attract audiences on this alone or are we to expect a star or spectacular effects in order to do so? A lot of time was put into the development of the mines by Barnes Wallis. This has to be shown. Once 617 Sqn was involved, the plan went into another phase, building up to the successful raid. This needs to be shown with it's skill and bravery undilluted.

There is plenty of scope for effects and CGI here - there is not the need for a big star. Best of luck to Peter Jackson and his crew, I really hope that they pull it off.

HuninMunin
04-07-2007, 03:52 PM
An interesting idea Huxley!
However looking upon the recent movie history, there are no real stars anymore to draw audiences.
Especialy when films are basicly written around modern stars they are destined to not live up to their expectations.
Take "Last Samurai" or "Troy" for example.
Both were influenced in a great way by Tom Cruise/Brad Pitt, the one producing the movie and the other making it the first picture of his own, new production company.
They didn't do too well - stars alone don't draw audience anymore (maybe comediantic actors do).

Even with a supreme cast (and I would concider your wish-cast to be that), the movie would probably drown in "whatever Ben Stiller is up to next year".

In the modern cinema even really big names are no good for quality anymore.
Take the Star Wars franchise and what it had to become lately to be a succes in the box office...
George Lucas knew what he did when he created Jar Jar Binks and his income proved him right to do so.

What I want to say with this......I fear this movie to be made "competetive"; and that basicaly means a 90 % artistical failure...

Doolittle81
04-07-2007, 04:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SidCheshire:
... An interesting comparison is John Wayne in "The Sands of Iwo Jima" - a true event but dominated by The Duke - and (non WWII) "The Bridges at Toko-Ri" - a fictional story based on something that could have happened and <span class="ev_code_RED">with not-so "big" names</span> for the genre. "Bridges", in my view, worked much better. ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not so Big names????!!!!!! At the time of Toko Ri's release, March had three Best actor Oscars to his credit and was considered to be one of the greatest actors of all time, Holden had two Oscars, Grace kelly had one for Best Supporting Actress and in the same year won Best Actress for another film. I'd say this movie was PACKED with Hollywood Big names! The Duke didn't win an Oscar until True Grit in 1969, and many consider that award to have been semi-honorary for career achievement. Don't get me wrong, I loved The Duke....but in 1954, it was he who was the second string achetor
http://members.cox.net/doolittle80/Bridges%20TokoRi.jpg

Doolittle81
04-07-2007, 04:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SidCheshire:
... I am struggling to think of a recent movie depicting combat that has attracted audiences other than by having a "star" eg. Mel Gibson, Nicholas Cage, or is visually heart-arresting e.g. "Saving Private Ryan".... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket had no known actors, whatsoever, but was a significant commercial and critical success. One of the best war movies of all time, in my opinion.

If I were Jackson, I would cast relative unknowns, just as Kubrick did...and appropriately aged ones...meaning mostly young. Casting a jerk like Cruise who is 45 as an early twentyish WWII RAF pilot is foolishness. That was the foolishness also fo teh early hints/projections of a "Billy Fiske" Battle of Britain movie, stating that Tom Cruise would the title character actor. Billy Fiske died at 29 in the BofB. Heck, Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter) would be a much better choice for a DamBusters crewman or Billy Fiske!!

Bo_Nidle
04-07-2007, 05:32 PM
This movie is SCREAMING to be remade. If its good (and with Jackson et al behind the stick I don't think it will be anything but good!!) then it will find an audience. Jacksons name alone will sell it to people without a passion for the subject matter. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Couple that with the excellent effects that Weta are now famous for......well I for one can barely contain myself...but that could just be these cheap underpants!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

The biggest mistake they could possibly make is to mess around with the story and cast an American in the lead. Now I have nothing at all against Americans but Gibson was a British hero (despite his faults) and should be depicted by a British actor. Screw around with that and the British press will maul the film so badly that it will die in the UK.

Have an American as Joe McCarthy obviously and Jacksons countrymen will also be well represented but Gibson was British and should be portrayed by "one of ours".

I have said for years that this film needs remaking with state-of-the-art effects and I can think of no better team to do it than Jacksons mob! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I think we should look to Mr Dietz for the inside "scoop" as there is no-one better placed on these forums(or any other that I can think of).

You can't miss him. He's the one with the gorilla fur lining his flying hat!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Lets all just get on our knees in thanks that a certain antipodean, anti-Semitic, anti-Brit, alcoholic no longer has any input!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif

Huxley_S
04-07-2007, 06:00 PM
I read that Jackson is a big Zulu fan, and used the film as an inspiration for the Battle of Helm's Deep in his LOTR: The Two Towers.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

DFLion
04-07-2007, 06:09 PM
What we are all missing out on, about the remake of this classic film 'The Dam Busters' is having Oleg Maddox advising on Peter Jackson's team. I know he is a very busy man.
I can remember reading some time back that Oleg was considering using his wonderful graphics talent in movie making - lets face it, he is the best.
In this marvellous 'digital world we live in' today, you can just about create anything.
The secret to making this remake into the classic of all time is in accuracy - we all know that. It has to look just right, whether in the Lancasters, over the Dams, German anti-aircraft fire, German night-fighters etc.
I thought the 'Pearl Harbour' movie was a good attempt with digital graphics - pity about the very poor story line and acting.
'Memphis Belle' was another good attempt, though the graphics were not as good as they good achieve today - the story and acting was certainly better.
A very good old film for story line is '12 o'clock high' starring Gregory Peck. The film uses actual war footage a lot, though the story line I thought was a very acurate portrayal of how men managed their fears, before going out on a mission.
I hope Oleg sees this thread, it might open up a whole new world for his company and I am sure we would all benefit.
DFLion

leitmotiv
04-07-2007, 09:07 PM
Good grief---IL-2 is no example of state-of-the-art computer animation of aircraft, but this certainly shows what can be done:

http://www.k4.dion.ne.jp/%7Esuppon/airplane/dws/merlins.mpg

SidCheshire
04-08-2007, 04:48 AM
They are big names in Toko-Ri, DooLittle, but not, as I said, in the war film genre, especially Grace Kelly and Mickey Rooney.

I agree with Full Metal Jacket - it was a good story, but I couldn't get away from where it was made - London.

jamesdietz
04-08-2007, 10:00 AM
Bo-Nidle- I beg yer pardon he never laid a glove...er...paw...on me...!!!
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d116/jamesdietz/Kongfinish.jpg

panther3485
04-08-2007, 10:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Huxley_S:
" ....and may just end up like another Pearl Harbor." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OMG, I sure hope not! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

panther3485
04-08-2007, 10:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doolittle81:
... I am struggling to think of a recent movie depicting combat that has attracted audiences other than by having a "star" eg. Mel Gibson, Nicholas Cage, or is visually heart-arresting e.g. "Saving Private Ryan".... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket had no known actors, whatsoever, but was a significant commercial and critical success. One of the best war movies of all time, in my opinion." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps, but IIRC this was an 80's movie (1987?) - about 20 years old. Hardly what I'd call 'recent', really. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

panther3485
04-08-2007, 10:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bo_Nidle:
"The biggest mistake they could possibly make is to mess around with the story and cast an American in the lead. Now I have nothing at all against Americans but Gibson was a British hero (despite his faults) and should be depicted by a British actor. Screw around with that and the British press will maul the film so badly that it will die in the UK.

Have an American as Joe McCarthy obviously and Jacksons countrymen will also be well represented but Gibson was British and should be portrayed by "one of ours"."
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mostly agree with your comments.

If they're stupid enough to cast a seppo as Gibson, then no matter how good the movie is otherwise, I'd seriously consider boycotting the bloody thing. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

muchaclopiec
04-09-2007, 01:21 AM
I hope the film does well. But bear in mind, the producers of the film Memphis Belle had originally planned a movie about an RAF bombing raid, until they realised such a production would have been commercial suicide.

Taylortony
04-09-2007, 10:25 AM
I dont think you all are doing this man Justice, far from a un caring non aviation type person cashing in and bastardising a great movie, Peter Jackson is as all of you an Aviation Nut.

To quote him

The project is due to start filming next year, with a budget of $30-40m.

Jackson will produce the movie, with King Kong animator Christian Rivers in the director's chair.

Jackson said it would be "as authentic as possible and as close to the spirit of the original as possible".

The 1954 film told the true story of how Britain developed bouncing bombs to destroy German dams in World War II..

Indeed they are building Ten full-size models of the Avro Lancaster aircraft by Weta Workshops for the Movie, one thing that is causing probs is the name of Gibsons Mutt...... there was talk of it being renamed Nipper or similar to not offend some of the popultation............ it happened in war for Christ's sake and was not even a reference to anything of the sort, but to the colour of the dog........... sigh, what next a remake of raid on Hiroshima without the bomb?

Indeed he puts his money where his mouth is in this respect, you can see some of his world war one fleet here...

http://ehangar.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=351

Incidentally Mr Dietz may be privvy to some info as he did do a comission for the man http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

One film I would like to see is

"The "Lord of the Rings" director, who has signed on to adapt Microsoft's "Halo" video games into a movie". http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Aaron_GT
04-09-2007, 11:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The project is due to start filming next year, with a budget of $30-40m. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's pretty low budget for an action or war film these days, which makes me a little concerned... Unless the actors are essentially unknowns. Leaving the likes of Tom Cruise out probably saves $30 million straight off!

ploughman
04-09-2007, 12:23 PM
Tom's been cast as the Upkeep itself. sotto voice He thinks he's going to be playing some kind' of agent and is going to be dropped behind enemy lines. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

panther3485
04-10-2007, 06:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taylortony:
I dont think you all are doing this man Justice, far from a un caring non aviation type person cashing in and bastardising a great movie, Peter Jackson is as all of you an Aviation Nut.

To quote him

The project is due to start filming next year, with a budget of $30-40m.

Jackson will produce the movie, with King Kong animator Christian Rivers in the director's chair.

Jackson said it would be "as authentic as possible and as close to the spirit of the original as possible".

The 1954 film told the true story of how Britain developed bouncing bombs to destroy German dams in World War II..

Indeed they are building Ten full-size models of the Avro Lancaster aircraft by Weta Workshops for the Movie, one thing that is causing probs is the name of Gibsons Mutt...... there was talk of it being renamed Nipper or similar to not offend some of the popultation............ it happened in war for Christ's sake and was not even a reference to anything of the sort, but to the colour of the dog........... sigh, what next a remake of raid on Hiroshima without the bomb?

Indeed he puts his money where his mouth is in this respect, you can see some of his world war one fleet here...

http://ehangar.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=351

Incidentally Mr Dietz may be privvy to some info as he did do a comission for the man http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

One film I would like to see is

"The "Lord of the Rings" director, who has signed on to adapt Microsoft's "Halo" video games into a movie". http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't like PJ's version of 'King Kong'.

Call me Mr. Cynical, but for me the proof of the pudding is in the eating. I'll believe it's good when I can see for myself.

If it is indeed good, I promise to be suitably appreciative. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif