PDA

View Full Version : Online Campaigns (Rather than DF/Coop Missions)

Firestorm07
03-26-2006, 06:45 PM
=S= all,

I'm wondering if the multiplayer "Campaign" dynamic missions generated by the default 4.04m FB+AEP+PF are as bland as the single player campaigns?

The Coral Sea Campaign for example, just has you simultaneously attacking and defending till the planes run out on either side. No recon missions, no intercept missions etc.

Anyone have any experience with this, are there any other campaigns to download that can be multiplayer in the same fashion?

Any help would be appreciated.

vocatx
03-26-2006, 09:00 PM
Well, it may not be fun, but it sounds fairly historically accurate. I just read the autobiography of an IJN fighter pilot stationed on Rabaul, and they DID just attack and defend until the planes ran out.

Zeus-cat
03-26-2006, 09:22 PM
The Hell-Hounds played the BOE Normandy campaign and we found it interesting. The missions are canned, so they are never as good as a single player user-created mission, but there was variety.

In the recon missions the two recon planes have to fly over the target and return safely to base to get full credit. Our main recon guy always goes "CLICK! CLICK! CLICK!" when he flies over the recon target.

If you do well, you see the front line move in your favor. If you do poorly, you give up ground.

We tried a Pacific campaign, but the flights were really long, and there was almost no variety to the missions. The ground attack missions were against undefended airfields. We quit that one pretty quickly.

Tully__
03-28-2006, 08:40 PM
If you're interested in alternatives, any single player static campaign can be easily converted to mulitplayer. The simplest way is just move the files to from the campaign folders to the coop subfolders, but the host will be forced to fly the aircraft designated as "Player" aircraft in the single play version.

To give the host flexibility of choice, open each mission in notepad and in the [MAIN] section find and delete the line that looks like:

player g0131

The number which designates the player aicraft will vary from mission to mission, but the line will always be there in single player missions.

Edit: You won't be able to use the online campaign interface to run these missions so if you want ongoing score keeping you'll have to do it manually.

Dean3238
03-28-2006, 08:58 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

Way cool info, Tully!

Thanks.

Dean

Firestorm07
03-28-2006, 11:05 PM
Thanks Tully, that is indeed a good alternative. However, I must admit that the idea of NGEN moving a dynamic campaign line accross a map based on the collective efforts of my squadmates and I is what appeals to me.

Any tutorials out there anyone knows about how to create/modify NGEN script?