PDA

View Full Version : Atom bomb wtf?

Kocrachon
04-20-2006, 05:20 PM
Ok I am flying the FW-109 that has like, the atom bomb that is basicly an aircraft on the bottom, calls itself a JU 88 A3 + HM and detonates like a weak atom bomb. Anyways. I notice I cant set it on the ground to take off, you have start with it in the air, but when I do that, I cant fly it, I have 0 manuverability. Anyone able to help me with this?

Kocrachon
04-20-2006, 05:25 PM
I should also mention this is the IL-2 + AEP + PF version 4.04m

VW-IceFire
04-20-2006, 05:30 PM
Is this you trying to put one in the mission builder or you trying to play the single mission that comes with AEP.

What your talking about is the Ju-88 Mistel. It should start on the ground in the mission that ships with AEP that allows you to fly the FW190A-8 that controls the Ju-88 Mistel beneath it. Basically its just a really big set of bombs.

Atom bomb is not in any way correct. Mushroom clouds are not caused by atomic detonations...they are caused by all explosive detonation. Atomic bombs just make the mushroom bigger...they don't cause it. Please don't call it a weak atom bomb as there is no radioactivity or atomic component included in it. Sorry...just one of those PP's that gets played out everywhere.

Anyways...if you can fill us in a bit on what your trying to do I'm sure we can find a solution for you.

Kocrachon
04-20-2006, 05:37 PM
Yeah I figured I wasnt detailed enough =P

But Yeah I am flying the FW190A that has the JU-88 attached to it. And I am trying to use it in a custom mission, and when I start them ont he ground they have no gear and in the few secondslater the propellers are just torn up and the things wont take off.

And when I creat a mission with them in the air, it wont move, I watch my controll surfaces move around like my aerlons and my rudders, but my place just moves a maybe a centimete if not less.

Kocrachon
04-20-2006, 05:47 PM
Well I just said atom bomb because its a huge mushroom cloud. Bust also seving in the army I can say that not all Explosives cause mushroom clouds. I was in Iraq and watched a Demolotions team detonate Old Iraq bombstaht they found. Just thought Id say tat.

Skycat_2
04-20-2006, 05:53 PM
The idea behind the 'mistel' was that the Luftwaffe took old planes -- in this case, a Ju-88 bomber -- and filled them with explosives. Then a host plane guided the 'mistel' to the target. It's really just a really big bomb that has its own engines to get it to the objective. (Wasn't the Me-262 used this way also? I've seen models of one Me-262 piggybacked onto a second Me-262.)

I don't know how frequently or succesfully the mistel idea was used, but I think I saw something on the history channel where they used a mistel to blow up a bridge to cover Otto Skorzeny's retreat out of Poland in 1945 ... or something to that effect.

Apparently the Allies experimented with or used similar explosive-laden airframes only the pilot was supposed to bail after aiming his plane at the objective; I think there was a recent post about John Kennedy's brother volunteering to fly one of these to target and becoming an MIA/KIA as a result. Sorry, my recollections are fuzzy here and I might be way off on what I'm remembering. Feel free to correct me where I'm wrong, gang. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Skycat_2
04-20-2006, 05:59 PM
This is from the ReadMe for AEP:

Unfortunately we could not afford to spend another year building and testing the Mistel, so our AI Mistels cannot take-off, land or attack targets. The most an AI Mistel can do is follow a set of waypoints in the air, basically serving as a large target for other flights.

Another important limitation is that Mistels cannot be flown in online dogfight games; however they can be flown in co-op missions.

Player-controlled Mistels however do work like other FB planes. You can start on the ground and take-off in them, land with or without the attached Ju-88 bomb, and detach the Ju-88 bomb in the air and launch it at targets. You must launch the Mistel at least from 1 km away from the target; historically they were launched from even farther away. Just lower your engine power to about 33% of throttle, hold your target in the crosshairs for a few seconds and press the Attach/Detach Aircraft button to separate from the Ju-88. It will follow on your current course, while you should try to get away from the target area. The Mistel's blast is pretty big, and it will damage or destroy objects on the ground and in the air in a very large radius.

Creating a mission with a Mistel is easy: just create two waypoints for the Ju-88 (Mistel), then place waypoints for the FW-190A-8 (Mistel). With the FW-190 selected, go to the Waypoint tab of the Object window, click the Set button and click on the Mistel. This will link the two in the beginning of the mission.
NOTE: You can set the first waypoint of the pair to be Take-Off, but AI flown Mistels will not be able to take-off.

Top_Gun_1_0_1
04-20-2006, 10:57 PM
IL2 developers should include the Grand Slam bomb and the Lancaster bomber in their next addon.Thats cool!

Friendly_flyer
04-20-2006, 11:30 PM
To make a take-off mission for the Mistel, just make two flights with Mistel and the proper FW 190 respectively with take off-points and waypoints in roughly the same places. On the FW 190's waypoints, mark "set", and put the green crosshairs on the corresponding Mistel waypoints. The AI doesn't seem to get it, though, AI Mistels will have their landing gear kneel under them on the runway, or just spin into the ground in an air-start.

As a player plane the Mistel is makes for very interesting missions. It was originally designed to take out ships, but in game it can be used for everything, except ships. The game comes with a single Mistel missions you can give a shot.

FI-Skipper
04-21-2006, 10:59 AM
Apparently the Allies experimented with or used similar explosive-laden airframes only the pilot was supposed to bail after aiming his plane at the objective; I think there was a recent post about John Kennedy's brother volunteering to fly one of these to target and becoming an MIA/KIA as a result. Sorry, my recollections are fuzzy here and I might be way off on what I'm remembering. Feel free to correct me where I'm wrong, gang. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Yes you are right I think.The Allies used B-17's with a pilot in at first but then tried to use a remote control device.It wasn't very successful and was abandoned.The thing about John Kennedy's brother rings a bell though I couldnt be certain.I read about it in "Tail-end Charlies"

Skipper

Yambretta
04-21-2006, 11:22 AM
from a site I had in favourites .

'The Aphrodite Project during World War II, was to enlist torn-up B-17 and B-24 bombers that were no longer suitable for combat missions.

A two-man crew took up the "weary" bomber, packed with explosives, and armed it in the air. The crew then bailed out over British territory and the bomber, equipped with radio control technology developed in the 1920s and 1930s, was steered from another plane that followed, to maneuver it over enemy lines.

The Allies launched 11 of these bombers during the war, but none was very successful, and they were easy to shoot down. The project was scrapped when Joseph Kennedy, the older brother of future President John F. Kennedy, and his fellow crewman were killed when the weary bomber they were flying blew up over England.'