PDA

View Full Version : Crash to desk top

WTE_Target
07-24-2005, 04:16 AM
G"Day all!
I Have recently been getting a crash to desk top, after a Graphics freeze then drop out of game.It seems to be happening on WarCloud's server more than others but it is driving me crazy.
I run a 9800pro with the latest drivers and found no trouble before but now am suffering these frustrating drop outs and crash to d/t.

Has anyone else suffered these as I am at my witts end.Some may say that I don't have many witts so that didnt take long :S

I think it has only happened since the last 4.1 patch I think, but again am not sure.
Any help would be greatly appreciated especialy from ATI folks .

pacettid
07-24-2005, 05:53 AM
Most of the guys in my virtual squadron who have had these problems have traced them to heat related issues, or video drivers.

After installing more fans, and cleaning the coils on my buddies heat sinks (processor and video card), the vast majority of his crashes seem to have gone away.

I also had issues until I found the drivers that worked best with my rig. I have an Nvidia card, so not much help to you, I'm afraid.

FA_Razor
07-24-2005, 03:31 PM
I concur...the heat seems to be the problem for the majority of people. However...I seem to be in the minority...

I've been chasing this problem for 2-1/2 years now. I've replaced/tweaked the PS, MB, RAM, Processor, Video Card and Hard Drive. I've run every virus scan, system optimizer and spyware tool known to man...I've used three (3) different high-end video cards to no avail. I've reinstalle the game, patches and OS numerous times. I've tried every version of JAVA and MSVM around. I've worn out my welcome with the "informal" community help, "official" Ubi help/tech support, Microsoft tech support, sun tech support and assorted hardware tech supports. I run so many fans my computer sounds like a hotel vacuum cleaner..,..and I still get a half-dozen or so crashes per week (after a graphics freeze) with no evidence except a "java" error message logged in the IL2 root directory.

I've pretty much just given up hope and will probably just buy another machine in the near future.

stansdds
07-24-2005, 05:52 PM
Likely a heat and/or driver issue. I had the same problem with my NV6800 Ultra PCIe. Drivers helped, now using 71.89, but I also ended up building an air intake and plenum so the card fan could not draw air from inside the case. This lowered temps just a few degrees, but it was just enough to make the card happy.

Chivas
07-24-2005, 05:55 PM
I been having the same problem since the latest patch. I've reloaded the game, changed graphics drivers, etc to no avail.

Last night I mentioned it to SPaRXs on Warclouds. He said a number of people are having the same problem when running in Perfect mode.

I changed to Excellent mode and the game ran with no problems.

WTE_Target
07-25-2005, 02:10 AM
Thx guys I am pretty sure it is not heat issue as it only happens with Il-2 and mainly in warclouds I will try the excellent mode and curse till I get fix to see the eye candy again.

jg54athlon
07-25-2005, 10:34 AM
Hi guys,
I too have the problem similar to yours and I have tried everything also. Mine seems to crash my video driver. It only happens in this game, so I have come to the conclussion that it could be heat related also. I believe the game brings the video card to it's limits and so it will start overheating. Usually when it crashes and gives me the error, it will continue to do so then quit frequently. I have also noticed that when it does crash, my directx tests of 3d and opengl will not pass anymore. I have to reboot my computer to get my directx and video card to work again. It's a pesty problem that I can't figure out and I guess only some of our systems have this problem. I thought it was my video card too and actually thought I had fixed it by doing what everyone says, but after about a week or so, it started doing it again. I have reformatted, put in all the drivers that people tell me too on all video and sound cards and via chipsets, but to no avail. I guess were the few that are just out of luck with this game. I hope yall will continue to post with any ideas that yall come up with and maybe your specs so we can narrow down the problem.

Here's my specs to start off with.
Athlon 1700+ processor
Via chipset on motherboard
Turtle Beach sound card
Gigabyte mother board(forget which)
Nvidia FX5600 video card
Windows XP build 2600 with SP2 installed.

Yall post too to see if there is any simularities.

jg54athlon
07-25-2005, 10:38 AM
One more thing guys.
I know this sounds crazy, but I just thought of it. I reformatted and put all the drivers people suggested in and I thought it was fixed.
The only thing I did after that was to install EA Sports Madden 2005. Hum...probably a quincidence, but after that is when the problem occured. Is it possible that installing a different game could cause issues with ones video card on another game. The Madden game works fine, so never thought of that. Long shot I know, but had to ask.
Athlon

RocketRobin__
07-25-2005, 09:39 PM
Folks, if your issues are heat related you will find they occur more often as the ambient (room) temperature increases.
If this is not the case, it is likely:
- An unstable RAM DIMM. You can check this by removing one DIMM at a time and checking for faults each time. Faulty DIMMs are unusual, but do occur and are easy to troubleshoot.
- An unstable motherboard. It could be a chipset, VR, cold solder joint, etc, etc, etc.
Motherboards are the most complex electronic devices in a PC. They use BGA, SMT and through hole soldering techniques for assembly. One tough of a dirty/ungrounded finger can cause it to fail. They are not bullet proof, by a LONG SHOT. In fact, your mainboard is the PCB that is most likely to fail due to manufacturing defects/component failure/mishandling. Issues are often intermittent and are very diffucult to troubleshoot. That also means that if your local friendly service representative is reprehensible (i.e a dickhead), he won't RMA your defective part.