PDA

View Full Version : The Names of Istanbul / Your Thoughts About the Location of the New Game

BLooDLineS666
05-07-2011, 06:08 AM
Okay guys. The new member of the series, Revelations, will be taking place in Istanbul. As somebody dwelling in Istanbul, i really appreciate it so much along with hardcore gamers around Turkey. But your thoughts will be important for us, living in Istanbul, Turkey, too. What do you think about the location fact?

------------------------------------------------

And about the names of Istanbul. I've seen so much wrong things throughout the forums as for the names of Istanbul. Let me infrom you a bit about this.

Speaking of terms about historical ones, the first name was Byzantion. This name derives form the name of the king, Byzas, of Greek colonists coming from Megara. This name started to be used in 667 BC, according to the historical sources.
Then, in the year 196 AD, the city gained its new name, Augusta Antonina, given by the Roman Emperor Septimius Severus, in honour of his son, Antoninus. And in the year 330, Emperor Constantinius made the city the new capital of Roman Empire, modelled this city after Rome, so causing the city's new name to be Secunda Roma. And in order to make the flame between the East and West politics bigger, writers strated to call it New Rome, after the fifth century. As time passed and as people living in the city wanted to honour their king and emperor, they made the city's name become just Constantinople . The city was called this way, until Ottoman Empire conquered the city, thus ending an empire. From 1453, city came to be known as Kostantinniye, as both formally and publicly, until the empire fell in 1923.
And now, to this day, the city is called Istanbul throughout the world mostly.

So to speak, i request everybody here to call it Istanbul upon speaking of today. It's neither Constantinople as old Greeks called, nor Kostantinniye, as my ancestors called. It's onl Istanbul now.

------------------------------------------------

Thanks everybody, i want all of you to yell your thoughts about the location here.

UBOSOFT-Gamer
05-07-2011, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by BLooDLineS666:
And about the names of Istanbul. I've seen o much wrong things throughout the forums as for the names of Istanbul. Let me infrom you a bit about this.

Speaking of terms about historical ones, the first name was Byzantion. This name derives form the name of the king, Byzas, of Greek colonists coming from Megara. This name started to be used in 667 BC, according to the historical sources.
Then, in the year 196 AD, the city gained its new name, Augusta Antonina, given by the Roman Emperor Septimius Severus, in honour of his son, Antoninus. And in the year 330, Emperor Constantinius made the city the new capital of Roman Empire, modelled this city after Rome, so causing the city's new name to be Secunda Roma. And in order to make the flame between the East and West politics bigger, writers strated to call it New Rome, after the fifth century. As time passed and as people living in the city wanted to honour their king and emperor, they made the city's name become just Constantinople . The city was called this way, until Ottoman Empire conquered the city, thus ending an empire. From 1453, city came to be known as Kostantinniye, as both formally and publicly, until the empire fell in 1923.
And now, to this day, the city is called Istanbul throughout the world mostly.

So to speak, i request everybody here to call it Istanbul upon speaking of today. It's neither Constantinople as old Greeks called, nor Kostantinniye, as my ancestors called. It's onl Istanbul now.

Like you said, it is istanbul now and before 1453 it was constantinnople, but europeans continued to call the city constantinopel for a while. At last during Ezios time.

So modern time istanbul - ezio time constantinopel. so, nothing wrong to call istanbul constantinnopel in this context.

and i will use constantinopel, because of this context.

and i think it will be fun to play in Constantinopel http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I wouldn't want jumping and running around in 21 century Istanbul to be honest. Neither New York, Washington D.C. or any other modern big city.

ChaosxNetwork
05-07-2011, 06:37 AM
I find Istanbul a lot easier to spell ;D
But I think the location is great, it was one of the few places I wanted the next game to be. It has a very diverse sense of architecture so is perfect for an AC game. Also its' rich history make it a great story setting.

BLooDLineS666
05-07-2011, 06:58 AM
@UBOSOFT-Gamer
Yeah, that's waht i meant by saying "calling the city as Istanbul speaking about today". As i said, Ottomans called it Kostantinniye, after all. But no Turk is calling the city "Kostantinniye" now. So i think there is nothing wrong as for calling t "Constantinopel" because of this context. However, if you ask me, i'd want it to be "Kostantinniye" in the game.
And about modern city thoughts of yours, same opinions i have http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

@xHITx_Chaos
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif waow! Glad to hear these words form you, thanks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif