PDA

View Full Version : couple noob questions

jazzadellic
09-26-2007, 07:23 PM
when I am in the air, the plane keeps pulling up, or starts drifting / turning by itself, so I am constantly struggling to keep the plane flying straight and level. If I use the 3rd person camera my plane looks kind of silly because it is jerking all over the place. I have to hit the up arrow repeatedly and non-stop or my nose / alt will keep going up. I figured maybe this is how a real plane handles....but then I'm watching the training videos built into the game, and the guy flying in those his plane is perfectly level and flying perfectly straight and not jerking around like mine is..... am I doing something wrong? is there a way to make the plane just stablize and keep the same heading and altitude? I have tried hitting the auto-pilot button but that doesn't seem to do anything , the plane still drifts to the left or right and nose points up etc... it's really annoying. I don't have a game manual for some reason so I can't read instructions while playing the game. I think the ingame tutorial videos are the worst form of tutorial I have ever seen in a game. I can't watch a 10 minute video, and then load up a game and remember everything he instructed.

Ok a couple questions about the first mission, over finland. The first time I played this mission, I had a wingman, his name appeared in blue letters, I could see his plane as a blue icon on the map. After we took off, there was a black line going from my plane to the next destination on our flight path, this black line of course shortened as I got closer to the next spot on the flight path.

Now when I play 1st mission --- my wingman has no name in blue letters, he doesn't appear on the map screen as a blue plane icon, and the flight path line does not originate from my plane. Is this a known bug? Oh yeah, and when I take off my wingman doesn't take off with me, or follow me. Maybe 10 minutes later he will show up. The first time I played this mission, he took off with me, and stayed right on my tail the entire time.

Ok other than that, I have flown all over the map, following the flight path, at different altitudes, and after an hour of flying around, I have yet to see a single bomber plane (which I am supposed to be hunting down). In the briefing, it says that bomber planes where spotted off the coast etc...and that we are to head to a specific city, the name of which I cannot remember. When actually playing the game, this city named in the briefing that we are to head towards, does not appear anywhere on the flight path or entire map.

the last game I played, my wingman took off on his own at some point and started telling me on the radio that he was engaging enemy aircraft. I had no idea where he was, I don't see his blue plane icon on the map anymore, and so I just have to fly around in circles while my wingman bot gets to do all arse wooping. How do you find the bombers in this mission? where is this mysterious city that they tell you about in the briefing but does not exist on the map? is there a specific altitude you need to be at to see the bombers?

berg417448
09-26-2007, 07:42 PM
The game manual is in a PDF file. It should be in your IL2 1946 game folder along with an aircraft guide.

You say you are hitting the up arrow to fly...you do have a joystick don't you? If not, I think you are wasting your time to try to fly with a keyboard.

jazzadellic
09-26-2007, 07:52 PM
Doh, ok I was having trouble getting my old sidewinder joystick working, I finally figured it out....most of the control problems seem to be solved now....

thanx for the heads up on the pdf manual location. I think with my joystick I will be able to finish the 1st mission now, thanks for the tip.

I understand how the autopilot works now, I think I thought it was more of a general 'keep the plane flying at this heading and speed' kind of thing, like cruise control, but it is actually steering my plane to be exactly on the black line of the flight path, and probably the correct altitude too. I'll just the autopilot get me to the right spot and then take over when the shooting begins on my next try I think....

ImMoreBetter
09-26-2007, 08:50 PM
when I am in the air, the plane keeps pulling up, or starts drifting / turning by itself, so I am constantly struggling to keep the plane flying straight and level. If I use the 3rd person camera my plane looks kind of silly because it is jerking all over the place. I have to hit the up arrow repeatedly and non-stop or my nose / alt will keep going up. I figured maybe this is how a real plane handles....but then I'm watching the training videos built into the game, and the guy flying in those his plane is perfectly level and flying perfectly straight and not jerking around like mine is..... am I doing something wrong? is there a way to make the plane just stablize and keep the same heading and altitude? I have tried hitting the auto-pilot button but that doesn't seem to do anything , the plane still drifts to the left or right and nose points up etc... it's really annoying. I don't have a game manual for some reason so I can't read instructions while playing the game. I think the ingame tutorial videos are the worst form of tutorial I have ever seen in a game. I can't watch a 10 minute video, and then load up a game and remember everything he instructed.

Yes, that is how a real plane flies. The engine causes torque, which will turn your plane to the right or left. And I think the upwards pulling is caused by the planes own lift.

To fix this you use "trim". (you may have to assign keyboard keys)

Trim can counter things such as engine torque and lifting.

http://www.il2-fullmissionbuilder.com/image/obj2200geo1958pg33p6.jpg

See that little thing at the bottom of the top center gauge? That's the slip ball.

Fly level.

Using rudder trim to center the slip ball. This should help torque and improve your plane's performance, slightly.

Use elevator trim to keep your plane flying level.

Also note that some planes(such as the BF109) don't have manual trim. This is historically accurate.

Skycat_2
09-26-2007, 09:00 PM
Check the difficulty options for your campaign. On the second page of toggle switches there should be a switch labeled 'No Icons.' If the lamp next to it is turned on, the labels over the other aircraft will not appear.

If it the lamp is not lit, then maybe you have simply toggled the labels off with the keyboard command.

There are two difficulty switches that may be affecting what you see on the mini-map. One is 'No Map Icons' and the other is 'No MiniMap Path.' Check that these are not lit if you want full functionality of the in-game kneeboard map.

Lee1854
09-30-2007, 09:28 PM
I'm coming late to this.... So, is there any source that can ID which gauges are which, and which planes have manual trim available?

VW-IceFire
09-30-2007, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Lee1854:
I'm coming late to this.... So, is there any source that can ID which gauges are which, and which planes have manual trim available?
Nearly all planes have manual trim but usually not all on axis.

The rule of thumb for trim control is:

British, Italian and Japanese planes = usually rudder and elevator with a few small exceptions
American planes = rudder, elevator, and ailerons
German planes = elevator only, rudder trim is pre-set to cruise speed
Russian planes = usually rudder and elevator but not aileron and sometimes no control at all (I-16 and I-153)

As for the gauges...there is a guide...I think its on the CD/DVD as well in PDF form. They tend to be the same or similar within a given nationality.

Skycat_2
09-30-2007, 11:57 PM
Lee,

The cockpit guide that comes with 1946 is called Aircraft Guide.PDF; it shows you the layout and controls of every flyable in the game but really doesn't explain what each gage is for. In early versions of IL-2 there was a graphic chart on one side of the paper key reference card that compared Russian, German and US equivalent gages. Unfortunately a similar organizer isn't available in 1946.

Usually if you understand what a particular gage looks like in one aircraft type, and what it measures, you can identify similar gages in most other aircraft regardless of nationality.
For example, here's a chart that came with Combat Flight Simulator 3:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/Skycat/FB%20Pilots/Gages.jpg

See Bearcat's Nugget Thread for an in-depth look at what the gages do in the Wildcat. From there you can begin interpreting the gages in other cockpits. The training videos that come with the game will help reinforce these ideas for you.

Edit: This reference site will help (http://free-st.htnet.hr/dvd/) you also.