PDA

View Full Version : corsair canopy/seat raise observation

Trailryder
12-28-2004, 08:14 AM
I have only had PF a few days and been enjoying playing with the Corsair carrier ops. I've read that the seat raises when the canopy is opened to allow better viewing over the nose for take offs and such and you see it work when observing from an outside view, yet, in cockpit view doesn't seem to reflect this when opening the canopy. Anyone else notice this?

Trailryder
12-28-2004, 08:14 AM
I have only had PF a few days and been enjoying playing with the Corsair carrier ops. I've read that the seat raises when the canopy is opened to allow better viewing over the nose for take offs and such and you see it work when observing from an outside view, yet, in cockpit view doesn't seem to reflect this when opening the canopy. Anyone else notice this?

TonyPiech
12-28-2004, 08:37 AM
Trailryder, go to the Controls Menu; there's a control --Toggle Seat Position, assign a key and you're set. You need to have your canopy open to have the control to work.

Lethal_Hobo
12-28-2004, 08:44 AM
:| Learn something new every day on these forums

Trailryder
12-28-2004, 08:46 AM
Ok, so you're saying toggling the canopy, tho it also raises the seat as seen from an outside view, isn't supposed to raise it from the in cockpit view, so you have to assign another key for "that". Will do, Thanks.

I suppose trying to toggle the seat position from in cockpit won't work with the canopy closed?

kiddknapp59
12-28-2004, 11:26 AM
Boy there is nothing like continuity of information. According to the PF review at SimHQ you can€t raise the seat of the Corsair. From my experience you can€t raise the seat in any plane, or at least any plane I have tried. I assigned a control and it just doesn€t do anything.

BSS_Goat
12-28-2004, 11:30 AM
You can raise the seat only in [shift]F1 view.

Wildcat and Corsair that I know of.

kiddknapp59
12-28-2004, 11:37 AM
Thank you, I'll try that. I wonder why that had to be a secret.

murewa
12-28-2004, 12:00 PM
Zero and Val can also have rasied seat view

kiddknapp59
12-28-2004, 12:15 PM
Yeah, I got it working now. Boy that would have been handy before. Landing on a carrier is hard enough as it is.

Asgeir_Strips
12-29-2004, 11:39 AM
well i dont need to raise my seat http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif my flying around the ship is pretty tight anyway.

Fliger747
12-29-2004, 12:39 PM
Actually many modern jet aircraft have adjustable (electric) seats. The plane I fly (747-400) has a seat that probably costs a lot more than my car but has a great seat height adjustment. This seat height (high) can be critical for Cat I & II & IIIA instrument approaches in which you have low visibility but need to see something to land. For Cat IIIB it dos'na matter as you just monitor the instruments, but do need to find something to see to TAXI!

The seat was raisable on the F6F as well, though this is not modeled in the game. The F4F was generally considered to have a good view over the nose. In the real aircraft, one could sight somewhat along the side of the cowl, a feature not available due to the way the virtual cockpits are constructed.

MiszaNC
12-29-2004, 12:58 PM
Val has rising seat? It does not work for me.
Anybody?
That would be nice to have kind of side view especially in F4U1D, F6F and SBD. If we can rise a point of view why not to move it to the side? As far as remember some German planes (Bf109?) have similar function, so one has to be off center to aim properly.
Some better cars have seat height adjustment anyway not only a big Jumbo http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

BuzzU
12-29-2004, 01:27 PM
I do better if I don't raise the seat.

Fliger747
12-29-2004, 02:36 PM
Somewhere along in one of the related threads, BSS Vidar (real carrier pilot) suggested one use the circular approach with a very short time in the groove. Check out their Black Sheep website for some good hints. This approach keeps the deck and LSO (not that it matters in the GAME) platform in sight. It does work well with any of the planes.

FS9 has the ability to allow one to hang their head out the window like a dog, but a different system is used for the cockpits. Because of the online play and frame rate issues of this product, a very diferent system is used for the cockpits, which looks good and keeps the frame rates up, ya just cann'a wander around in it however.

Athosd
12-29-2004, 04:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MiszaNC:
Val has rising seat? It does not work for me.
Anybody?
That would be nice to have kind of side view especially in F4U1D, F6F and SBD. If we can rise a point of view why not to move it to the side? As far as remember some German planes (Bf109?) have similar function, so one has to be off center to aim properly.
Some better cars have seat height adjustment anyway not only a big Jumbo http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To raise the seat two keys must be bound - open canopy and raise seat.
If the canopy is open and the seat still won't raise then you need to toggle your gunsight view back to the default (Shift F1) and try again.

The situation with German/Allied aircraft gunsight view is actually reversed in the game (due to PC display limitations). German gunsights were offset to the right so that the pilots master eye (I guess left handers just had to adapt) was aligned with sight and he didn't have to move his head to line up the shot. In types with the gunsight centrally mounted the pilot would often have to move his head (depends somewhat on the type of sight) to get the best sight picture.
The reversal is necessary because, for view purposes, "in game" you effectively have one eyeball in the middle of your face (which is nicely aligned with a central sight and must be moved to the right for the offset types).

Cheers

Athos

Athosd
12-29-2004, 04:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fliger747:

The seat was raisable on the F6F as well, though this is not modeled in the game. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apparently the F6F seat adjustment was not operable by the pilot in flight - this has been pointed out (by the Devs) as the reason why its not available in the game.

Cheers

Athos

Fliger747
12-30-2004, 04:30 PM
In a book entitled "80 Knots to Mach 2" the author, a career Naval Aviator who flew from the end of WWII through Viet Nam specifically mentions raising the seat of the F6F for landing to improve the 'view'.

Pretty interesting first person story of naval training and operating a wide vareity of combat aircraft.

fordfan25
12-30-2004, 04:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BuzzU:
I do better if I don't raise the seat. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

iknow im the same way. lol i tried it with seat raised and i over shot the deck every dang time lol.

Oilburner_TAW
12-30-2004, 09:27 PM
I like it for takeoff so it's easier to see when it's my turn to go but I find it very disorienting to use while landing.

BuzzU
12-30-2004, 11:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Oilburner_TAW:
I like it for takeoff so it's easier to see when it's my turn to go but I find it very disorienting to use while landing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The planes are offset on the carriers. It's easy to see the plane in front of you, because it will be on your left or right.