PDA

View Full Version : You have to think like Wayne Gretzky

Chuck_Older
02-12-2005, 06:57 PM
I'm very nearly done with my AVG (Flying Tigers) campaign- "When Tigers Could Fly"

click for updates:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?q=Y&a=tpc&s=400102&f=50910533&m=2931077462&p=1

But, while flying and testing the campaign, it has suddenly occured to me-

Flying the H81A-2 is like playing ice hockey.

You must see the whole ice if you want to be a star. Wayne Gretzky- he wasn't particularly strong, or fast, or agile. He wasn't the prototypical Superstar hockey player in the NHL. But he excelled beyond rational comprehension. How? He made the puck go to where his team mates would be in the future, not where they were now, and he went to where the puck would be when he got there, not where is was now. he used his uncanny ability to asses the situation to make himself The Great One. Actually, all the greats did it and do it- Bourque, LaFleur, Trottier, Harvey, Orr, Robinson...they knew how to 'work' the game

In the H81A-2, it has struck me- it's the same thing. It's not that fast. It's not that agile. It doesn't pack the best punch.

Make it go where it needs to be, though... and suddenly this 'also-ran' aircraft is a killer. To do that, you need to know the plane. You need to know your opponents plane. You need to know your strengths and your weaknesses, and also that of your enemy.

Same old same old, you say, this is old news. But consider this: have you really thought about that? Any aircraft is just flaming wreckage if you take away the pilot's advantages. Butch O'Hare was 100% right. Out-think your opponent- it's any pilot's greatest advantage

Just like Gretzky wasn't physically the best, he used what he did have- his Situational Awareness- and his drive, to make his opponents look like sick puppy dogs. Gretzky would have been a great fighter pilot. He'd make his plane go where it needed to be in 10 seconds- not where it needed to be 10 seconds ago

Chuck_Older
02-12-2005, 06:57 PM
I'm very nearly done with my AVG (Flying Tigers) campaign- "When Tigers Could Fly"

click for updates:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?q=Y&a=tpc&s=400102&f=50910533&m=2931077462&p=1

But, while flying and testing the campaign, it has suddenly occured to me-

Flying the H81A-2 is like playing ice hockey.

You must see the whole ice if you want to be a star. Wayne Gretzky- he wasn't particularly strong, or fast, or agile. He wasn't the prototypical Superstar hockey player in the NHL. But he excelled beyond rational comprehension. How? He made the puck go to where his team mates would be in the future, not where they were now, and he went to where the puck would be when he got there, not where is was now. he used his uncanny ability to asses the situation to make himself The Great One. Actually, all the greats did it and do it- Bourque, LaFleur, Trottier, Harvey, Orr, Robinson...they knew how to 'work' the game

In the H81A-2, it has struck me- it's the same thing. It's not that fast. It's not that agile. It doesn't pack the best punch.

Make it go where it needs to be, though... and suddenly this 'also-ran' aircraft is a killer. To do that, you need to know the plane. You need to know your opponents plane. You need to know your strengths and your weaknesses, and also that of your enemy.

Same old same old, you say, this is old news. But consider this: have you really thought about that? Any aircraft is just flaming wreckage if you take away the pilot's advantages. Butch O'Hare was 100% right. Out-think your opponent- it's any pilot's greatest advantage

Just like Gretzky wasn't physically the best, he used what he did have- his Situational Awareness- and his drive, to make his opponents look like sick puppy dogs. Gretzky would have been a great fighter pilot. He'd make his plane go where it needed to be in 10 seconds- not where it needed to be 10 seconds ago

heywooood
02-12-2005, 07:45 PM
as I said in another thread - I am looking forward to your campaign, Chuck...great title for it BtW...

As a long time player and youth hockey coach, I will add something else that was common knowledge in the Gretzky house..."its not so much what you do when you have the puck...its knowing where to go and what to do when you dont have it." Wayno was a master at being where he needed to be on the ice at all times...never out of position, and usually wide open around the net.

That knowledge and the anticipation and confidence you gain over time, playing on the same line, can make all the difference between good teams and players - and great ones.

The same might be said of great fighter pilots.

heywooood
02-12-2005, 08:05 PM
I love hockey..and the AVG.

3.JG51_BigBear
02-12-2005, 08:31 PM
You have to stop drinking and posting Chuck http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

I totally agree with you, the Hawk 81 requires the pilot to have total situational awareness. Energy management is huge while flying the Hawk and against Ki-43s the hunter becomes the hunted in fractions of a second. Can't wait to try out your campaign.