PDA

View Full Version : Co-Op?

HotTurds
01-20-2011, 09:07 AM
I personally would love to see 1-4 player Co-Op for the single player campain. You could have two or more targets get assassinated at the same time and take down guards from 4 different locations of the mission. I would love to see a long bow for a greater range. A rope would be fun, you could use it to hang someone in the town square to send a message or drag guards by horse.

Phyxsius-
01-20-2011, 09:09 AM
And how will you explain it, Lore wise?

"So, Ezio, with his cousin from his stepmother`s side, accompanied by his grand grand-son from his 3rd wife and Desmond`s pappy started an adventure that spanned Centuries"... I can see this coming...

xCr0wnedNorris
01-20-2011, 09:10 AM
This seems more like something that would go into the "DLC Wants" thread... Also, I remember someone saying that co-op free roam would be impossible, maybe AC3?

obliviondoll
01-20-2011, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Phyxsius-:
And how will you explain it, Lore wise?
A co-op mode in general?

Assassin's build multiple Animi to counter the Templars having done so for their training.

Assassins with ancestors who were recruited by Ezio and sent on missions together are put into the Animi together, and co-operate (see what I did there?) to achieve the goals the pair/group were sent to achieve.

This would allow for matches to be played with objectives taken from the single-player Assassin recruit missions.

It would also provide ideas for new maps - Lisbon, London, etc. also taken from the contracts available to your recruits in single-player.

Furthermore, it would be awesome to go into a game where it's a group of friends vs. the AI.

I've suggested the above previously, because the official Ubisoft answer was that they couldn't explain how co-op fits with the story. My thread didn't get much attention, though. Maybe this one will.

Phyxsius-
01-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Reason I asked, is because we are playing Desmond`s "bloodline".

So, for a Co-Op to work, we would need explanation for the "new lines", hence we would need more or less descendants in the present.. AND more Animus thingies, to "explain" how they can play alongside you.

The "YOU" is also interesting: who is the main character? Do we have MORE characters of equal value, or "support"? How do we decide which one is which?

And this is just a fast "alone brain-storm".

Feel free to improvise / add

[EDIT]More to come as I think this over.

HotTurds
01-20-2011, 10:13 AM
They could use the citizens that you recruit to the assassins guild as the co-op players. Then you could play the assassination missions to obtain the items for the shop quests...etc.

Phyxsius-
01-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by HotTurds:
They could use the citizens that you recruit to the assassins guild as the co-op players. Then you could play the assassination missions to obtain the items for the shop quests...etc.

Yes, but this raises a problem: The OTHER players - aka the "NOT Desmond`s relative" might get frustrated by the fact that they play for nothing.

So, the matchmaking "algorithm" will keep looking only for "side-kicks".

In reality you would play FOUR games start to end (I assume max co-op number is 4) - ONE for your "main character", and the other 3 for the 3 friends that helped.

See the issue?

So, you would need EACH character equal, to have a feeling of progress, not a "tool". Tool can be fun, but what do you do with the ones that play casual and barely finish ONE game, let alone a second walk-through?

Alternatively, you can make "SPECIFIC" Co-Op missions - Challenges that can be done only in groups...or are fun enough that they offer the FUN of grouping.

Good argument.. fire away http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

obliviondoll
01-20-2011, 10:30 AM
Like I said, make it so the co-op ONLY has players being the "support" characters - NOBODY gets to be Ezio.

Would make things easier in terms of explaining a simplified combat system (AC Combat + online play = unplayable) like the one in Brotherhood's competitive MP.

Phyxsius-
01-20-2011, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by obliviondoll:
Like I said, make it so the co-op ONLY has players being the "support" characters - NOBODY gets to be Ezio.

Would make things easier in terms of explaining a simplified combat system (AC Combat + online play = unplayable) like the one in Brotherhood's competitive MP.

Then it would no longer be a campaign, but a game-mode. The idea is not bad, but not what the OP intended.

obliviondoll
01-20-2011, 11:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by obliviondoll:

Then it would no longer be a campaign, but a game-mode. The idea is not bad, but not what the OP intended. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Why couldn't it be a campaign?

It wouldn't be a co-op mode FOR the single player campaign, but you could still make it story-driven.

Phyxsius-
01-20-2011, 11:42 AM
Campaign equals Desmond bloodline or DNA (Altair/Ezio/New Character or Desmond)

If I don`t use that bloodline or DNA then I don`t have Campaign

IF we are to introduce Co-op to Campaign without Desmond, we need to make the said Campaign around the Co-Op characters and separate from Desmond.

I don`t see this happening, knowing that AC was designed as a trilogy, specifically with Desmond in mind.

So.. I am left with "helpers / sidekicks / support / insert 2nd hand character name". Which can make at best a game-mode.

Campaign = story-driven chain of events, involving one or more iconic characters for the Franchise.

Game mode = derivative from "Lore", or from any event linked with the main story or character, not pertaining to the main narrative.

The 2 above definitions are pretty much made on the spot, simplified to the extreme to emphasize the point I am trying to make.

That or I am horribly mistaken...

obliviondoll
01-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Campaign = story-driven chain of events
The rest of what you said about campaign isn't necessarily true.

See RPGs with character creation for examples.

They could have a basic "we're stealing the Templar's ideas" plot and focus the storyline entirely on events in the Animus (like the current MP does) without much, if anything, happening in the near-future setting.

That way, it would be a separate campaign, tied to the main storyline, but not specifically a part of it.

Phyxsius-
01-20-2011, 12:06 PM
You COULD do this differently though: any secondary character can become playable; by secondary I mean, for instance, La Volpe, or any "story character close to the main character".

You get assigned randomly each character (fan fiction: Ezio, Machiavelli, Volpe and Ezio`s sister), play a chapter with specific goals for each character... and the game saves the progress for ALL involved.

That sounds more complicated than it is: Say you are the host, or playing Ezio; upon completion of a "mission", ALL players get that mission completed LOCALLY. That can be replayed for better results / Trophies.

This has a downside : Matchmaking will look for specific chapters / memories / saves / middle saves.

Thoughts?

DarkKing166
01-20-2011, 03:35 PM
this idea could work, lets say instead of an added feature for AC3 or yet anouther between title make it its own between title thats not fully centured of desmond.

easy set the storyline around anouther group of sturggling assassin's in current day, maybe a group looking for a piece of eden, have talks about the whole plan with desmond and what they have heard but have it still based on said group, a group of four or so players, people that have been given a mission, have like a cast of 6 or so people but centerd around these 4 who happen to have had reltives around the ezio or so time or maybe a whole new place altogather.

it could work if given enough thought but ubi isn't going to do it cuz it would be a risk to break in something new like that and would take alot of thought.

VampiricGranny
01-20-2011, 04:39 PM
You're taking it from the wrong angle.
Perhaps a simple mode like "Spec Ops" found in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2?

Just 1-4 player missions with a set objective and no real storyline.
obviously they'd ascend in difficulty as you unlock more.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif