PDA

View Full Version : Well there goes more money out the window

Malik_VII
06-16-2005, 08:56 PM
I just finaly used that coupon that came with Pacific Fighters and purchased trackir pro.
Well actually I also included the vector expansion. Just wish this sim supported it.
Maybe BoB who knows.
Also 'cause I like jets too, included Flaming Cliffs.
Question: How long did it take to get used to this? I have a bad habit of leaning sometimes like it's going to help http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Old_Canuck
06-16-2005, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Malik_VII:
I just finaly used that coupon that came with Pacific Fighters and purchased trackir pro.
Well actually I also included the vector expansion. Just wish this sim supported it.
Maybe BoB who knows.
Also 'cause I like jets too, included Flaming Cliffs.
Question: How long did it take to get used to this? I have a bad habit of leaning sometimes like it's going to help http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Been using the original TIR for months now and I'm quite used to it [cracks neck]. Thinking of upgrading though because it picks up light [neck twitch - pop] from the window and goes kind of [twitch] crazy. People are always asking why I turn my head slowly from side to side while talking with them but other than that [snap] it's a regular feature in my bag of tricks.

knightflyte
06-17-2005, 12:46 AM
I'm not looking at the Track IR software at the moment, but If you're having problems acclimating yourself to it try a larger deadzone.

Allright I'll open it up and look.

Go to MOTION TAB
Make sure track IR enhanced mode is checked.
In the drop down window select CUSTOM.
Untick the GROUP EDIT POINTS.

You will see 2 sliders for speed and edit point.
Start obviously to the left side on both sliders. (MINUS)

As you edit the points you'll see the graph on the left side and the effect of moving the sliders.

To get and idea of what the graph should look like, select DEADZONE on the drop down window I mentioned earlier. Notice the center of both the bottom and left motion bars. You'll see the deadzone as the line touches the edging. Then you can reselect CUSTOM and make a LARGER deadzone.

There ............ Track IR for dummies.....written by one. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Also check out TOADS signature. He has a pretty good link for tips and tricks for the Track IR

Good luck with TIR. I've had mine for 3 years and STILL love it. It's an invaluable tool to the immersion of this game.

TgD Thunderbolt56
06-17-2005, 06:27 AM
I just used the default profile for FB that was in the TIR software. It can take as much as a few weeks to get used to it, but most say they acclimate after a few days or even hours.

One of the things I want to say is there is a common misperception that you have to remain virtually head-still while flying. That culdn't be farther from the truth. I lean, stand up, crouch (to reach the ashtray http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ) and it always recenters. Rarely do I have to recenter using the hotkey.

TB

Saunders1953
06-17-2005, 08:21 AM
Minutes. Although a few people have found it just too difficult to adjust to, I don't think you will ever go back once you try it. I have the Pro/6DOF-vector/whatever, but I never engaged the vector because you have to be farther back from the screen than I like (about 2 feet I think), and as long as you use the 3-point metal contraption that goes on the hat, you will get excellent results.

I have had some real doozies of dogfights with TrackIR that would have been impossible without it. Especially those where there was a lot of scissor/scissor/half roll/fly/half roll/scissor, repeat. A blast to be able to follow your quarry through all that!

It's not money out the window, it's an investment in your leisure time enjoyment, which means less stress and a longer life. (Well, that's what I'm prepared to tell my wife if she ever complains about all the "flight gear" I've accumulated for this sim.)

horseback
06-17-2005, 09:33 AM
I got my TrackIR3 pro about a month and a half ago, and I'll never be able to go back to the hatswitch; it is just so much more intuitive.

The first couple of days were a little hard, I wanted to go to the hatswitch more in combat, so I developed a CH profile that allowed me to revert to the hatswitch view controls at will (just assign a joystick button to toggle TIR on/off). However, with time, I found that staying with TIR was a lot easier for tracking my opponents, and I've got a net gain of six HOTAS button assignments.

Just stick with it Malik, it is more than worth it.

cheers

horseback