PDA

View Full Version : LANDING GEAR

dbrostek
09-26-2006, 08:53 PM
I am new to PF but have down loaded all PATCHs up to 4.04 but still can't raise the landing gear on any plane. Any ideas?

Dennis

Red-Baron2006
09-26-2006, 09:03 PM
got to the controls in the main PF menu and see if u have a key set for {raise landing gear.}

Philipscdrw
09-26-2006, 09:19 PM
Some planes have manual landing gear, which in real life was operated by a hand-crank or something in the cockpit. For these planes (the Wildcat and I-16 and possibly others) you'll need to assign a control to 'raise landing gear manually' and 'lower landing gear manually' (or something like that) - I like to use Shift-G for up, and Ctrl-G for down.

For the other planes, pressing G normally makes the gear move - if it doesn't, look at the control settings (press escape inflight and press 'controls') and find the landing gear control.

heywooood
09-26-2006, 09:39 PM
keep ignoring the readme.....

but seriously - don't look at it.

I'm kidding ofcourse....just let us know if you have any other questions...especially readme type questions.

dbrostek
09-26-2006, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the tips but still no luck. I have been flying both a P-40 and F6F with no luck. I tried the G, SHFT-G and CTRL-G but the gear only goes up or comes down if I engage the auto pilot. Kind of takes the fun out of it.

Dennis

dbrostek
09-26-2006, 09:48 PM
I'll assume the readme... post was a shot at sarcasum but if you tell me what to read I will gladly take a look, and even read it.

Dennis

Philipscdrw
09-26-2006, 10:01 PM
In-flight, press escape to bring up the menu. Click on "controls" - it gives you the page to assign keyboard and joystick to things. Look along the list for landing gear - it should be clear which one you need - and click on the space to the right of it, press 'G' (or whatever key you want to control the gear with) so that it says something like:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Landing Gear Toggle G</pre>

and then click on 'apply' at the bottom of the screen.

By the way, the Readme is a document in the folder the game installed into, which has a load of useful stuff in it. Look for the game on the start menu - the readme will be there too.

Texas LongHorn
09-27-2006, 08:13 AM
Hey Phillip, thanks for being helpful to the new guy. This sim is complicated, and lots of folks come out of console games and don't even realize the "readme" is just that; readme first before you play. Especially with all the patches and addons, the readme practically becomes a bible for what the new aircraft can do. Remember the Wildcat when PF first came out? That was a hoot, we had post for months on how to operate the gear <ggg.> Thanks again for keeping the spirit of the forum alive, Lord knows I've asked some pretty goofy questions a time or two! All the best, LongHorn

dbrostek
09-27-2006, 08:36 AM
Thanks Guys,
I have read the readme files but still no luck. The default "G" key does not work nor programing SHIFT-G (UP) and CTRL-G (DOWN) for manuall operation. I can open the canopy, fold the wings and most everything else but still flying with the wheels down. This happens both from a land base (Black Sheep Sqd)or carrier (P-40 + F6F).

I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the game and patchs but still the same problem.

Dennis (Crash&Burn)

Hanglands
09-27-2006, 10:22 AM
Have you checked that your G key works? Any keyboard faults?

Go into controls and assign the gear to a different key, see if that works.

Art-J
09-27-2006, 10:24 AM
Strange. Neither auto nor manual seems to be working. Maybe the "G" key is used by some Windows application running in the background? Try binding another key and see if that works.
One more thing: when You select key combinations for manual gear operation, remember that You cannot press it just once. You have to tap it over and over and over and over untill message "gear lowered/raised" comes up. Try it out on Wildcat.

Cheers - Art

Chuck_Older
09-27-2006, 10:28 AM
Never heard of this problem...I'd try a new keystroke as suggested. I'd also try assigning it to a joystick function.

This seems hardware related, although obviously, if you can type "G" here on the forums, it's a safe bet that your "G" key is working http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

What type of keyboard do you have? USB? I have, on rare occasions, had my USB keyboard fail to be recognised by my PC. Unplugging it and plugging it back in fixes that in a hurry. I have no idea why this happens. Is your Scroll Lock on or something?

Can you assign a key to manually raise/lower gear, and see if that works?

Do you use some sort of program to control Joystick/HOTAS functions? If so, disable that and try again

J_Flyer
09-27-2006, 11:32 AM
This may also have been said, but when manually raising you have to (or at least I do) repeatedly press the buttons to get them to raise.

dbrostek
09-27-2006, 10:27 PM
Thanks Art and tapping the manual (SHIFT-G) up comand MANY times did the trick. They move such a little bit each tap I didn't notice they were going up but repeated tapping did the trick so I'm off to tackle carrier landings and take offs.

Thanks for sticking with me guys and all the help.

Dennis

Chuck_Older
09-28-2006, 05:30 AM
...but if you can't just press "G" or whatever key you assign to raise the gear in a P-40, then you still have a problem

Philipscdrw
09-28-2006, 08:50 AM
Some aircraft (the F4F-3, F4F-4, and I-16 - are there any others?) have manual gear where you need to hit the 'Raise Gear Manually' button a gazillion times to raise the gear - on all the rest the G key should work.

Hop into a Zero, see if G works there.

Edit: If your controls look like this:
http://people.bath.ac.uk/jsd23/pfgear.JPG

things SHOULD work fine. Use Shift-G and Ctrl-G in the F4F-3, F4F-4, and I-16, and use G in all the others.

Sometimes you'll take damage and the undercarriage operation system breaks. When that happens you can still use Ctrl-G to lower the undercarriage - simulating the emergency gear release mechanism that's built into most retractable-gear planes!

(To be honest, it's a flaw on 1C's part to not have a default key for these controls, and also the gunsight dimmer and wheel chocks. Just an option in installation, to use a full default key-map or keep the existing one... but on the other hand it's great that 1C are putting all their effort into the things the community can't fix ourselves.)

Texas LongHorn
09-28-2006, 09:44 AM
Phil is right agian. Although it's not a gazillion times, I once counted the number of keystrokes to raise the gear on the Wildcat (Also known as the aluminum beer keg with wings) and it was something like _49_ keystrokes! In real life it took the pilot quite a while too. All the best, LongHorn

dbrostek
09-28-2006, 01:21 PM
Your right guys and another NEWBIE error on my part. I was flying a F4F (WILDCAT?) NOT a P-40 hence the manual landing gear, sorry. I have since been practicing and even flown 2 real carrier missions including take off and (sucessful)landings. I also tried to count the "TAPS" to raise (lower) the gear and it was about 50 so now I'm wondering.....I am using a Saitek X52 controler (I'm also a newbie with it) but has anyone tried programing a MACRO with this type controller for the manual gear? Once the "TAPS" were counted than a macro could be programed to do it with the push of only one button.

Dat New Guy,
Dennis

Chuck_Older
09-28-2006, 01:59 PM
F4F is a Wildcat, correct http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

For a cool effect, look down and to your right in the Wildcat cockpit while you raisde or lower the gear. You'll see the handle spinning on the right hand side of the 'pit

widdershins
09-28-2006, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by dbrostek:
I'm wondering.....I am using a Saitek X52 controler (I'm also a newbie with it) but has anyone tried programing a MACRO with this type controller for the manual gear? Once the "TAPS" were counted than a macro could be programed to do it with the push of only one button.

Yeah I am pretty sure that the profile editor can do that. As far as I can tell, you can select the button you want to assign the macro and then add 50 or so keyboard commands in a row.

I havn't done it as I only got my stick a few weeks back and havn't had time to fiddle with all the neat stuff yet. Plus, I kind of like having to hit the button 50 times to simulate the effort.

NonWonderDog
09-28-2006, 05:18 PM
You could do it, sure, but that's just kind of lame. I have it set up so I have to hold one of the toggle switches for a few seconds to raise the gear. Which is slightly less lame.

RichardFF
09-28-2006, 06:47 PM
Appreciate the posts as I was really confused as to what was going on. None the less my situation is slightly different in that the P40 and F6 works by pressing the gear button one time and I don't have to do individual gear up and down commands, the button toggles as expected.

Will try pressing the gear button a bunch on the F4... (I never would'a guessed that one)

widdershins
09-28-2006, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by RichardFF:
The P40 and F6 works by pressing the gear button one time and I don't have to do individual gear up and down commands, the button toggles as expected.

Yup, you need to assign 3 different buttons. 1 for automatic landing gear and the other 2 are for up/down manual landing gear.

I have:
T6 = auto (for 99% of the planes in the game)
T4 = down
T3 = up

Nimits
09-28-2006, 10:17 PM
I have a GoFlight LGT (landing gear/flaps) panel, and I just mapped the manual gear extension to the elevator trim wheel (as my elevator/rudder trim is mapped as the primary function on my cougar FOV hat). It actually works pretty well, and has a sort of "realistic" feel to it.

Philipscdrw
09-28-2006, 10:42 PM
I have a standard Windows keyboard, and hit the key fifty times when I take off or land. It works very well. And I can use it to write on forums with too! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

RichardFF
09-28-2006, 11:19 PM
As stated I had to assign some buttons. Now that's a flight sim... If the plane had a hand crank for the gear then you gotta press the button a bunch and if it was powered then you get the toggle function.

And, yes that was covered in the readme file... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

... the most informative documentation I have read to date! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/typing.gif

roybaty
09-29-2006, 03:04 PM
On an x52 (i used to have an x36 myself) I'm sure your can program a button to repeat a keystroke when it is held down for manual extend/retraction (I have it on a hat switch so left is down and right is up). I did this with my old x36 (old saitek hotas) and now with my Cougar HOTAS.

Akronnick
09-29-2006, 11:53 PM
I have a Nostromo N52 as an auxilery panel and I use the wheel to control the gear, press the wheel for auto gear, turn it for manual.