PDA

View Full Version : Do U use flaps in combat?

F19_Ob
04-01-2005, 06:48 AM

carguy_
04-01-2005, 06:51 AM
Good to use combat flaps if you know your plane has more stallfight potential then your enemy.Mustang pilots often use it to gain on those who don`t.

CWH1089
04-01-2005, 06:57 AM
i only use combat flaps, unless i'm in a desperate situation...

VW-IceFire
04-01-2005, 07:03 AM
I use combat flaps at medium speeds for 2-3 seconds at the most to gain an angles advantage on a target that I'm attacking.

Usually done in a Mustang or P-38. Rarely in a FW190 (I find they cause stalls) and sometimes in a Bf.109 and Yak too. Depends on the plane.

han freak solo
04-01-2005, 07:13 AM
Combat flaps are the only chance I have to survive when flying the "When Tigers Could Fly" campaign in the P-40B against those d@mn armor skinned biplanes!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Monson74
04-01-2005, 07:13 AM
No - I find that I bleed too much E & then I can't get away if I miss which I often do because I'm a lousy shot http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Bearcat99
04-01-2005, 10:45 AM
I use everything and anything to keep my virtual butt intact..... flaps, trim,throttle,pitch,SC you name it.

ImpStarDuece
04-01-2005, 11:05 AM
I use flaps to steady out some of my pull outs in the P-47 and also to allow slightly better angles on a target in the terminal phase of a dive. I have found that I can pull up and out much harder (say, to keep the sight pointed at a climbing target) with combat flaps set than without. Otherwise the nose often violently snaps one way or the other (but usually left)

I very, very rarely use other flaps, though I have seen people drop everything including the landing gear and even misguidedly opening the canopy in an attempt to force an overshoot.

Saunders1953
04-01-2005, 11:18 AM
Bearcat: I use all I can too, but find that swearing and yelling at the top of my lungs at my mates and opponents is the most effective measure. You should try that too. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

The190Flyer
04-01-2005, 01:30 PM
I usually use to take-off flaps except when landing or taking off. When I use landing flaps, I usually use them for too long of a period of time and they jam up on me, which is 100% pilot error http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif When in a fight, I usually use down to take off but sparingly.

Banger2004
04-01-2005, 02:00 PM
I tend to fly Spits, so have to use full flap, but sparingly. Too long and too fast and they jam, but helps my aircraft to turn wickedly fast1. When flying other types I make use of combat flaps mostly, either when turning or trying to gain a good position for a shot. Of course, I also use them if being pursued and the pursuer has a faster a/c than me.

-HH-Quazi
04-01-2005, 02:13 PM
I use combat flaps at the top of loops. It allows the ac to tighten the loop and get over the top allot quicker. And I use them coming out of a steep dive. Not long enough to loose a bunch of energy. Just long enough to get the ac to start pulling out and up. Now, I may leave them engaged a bit longer when in a df because the turn tightens up significantly and allows me to bear down on a bogey before they can get around on me. Energy loss is substancial if I leave them on to long of course.

Ketalar
04-01-2005, 02:27 PM
I use combat flaps when in combat when I'm at/around the appropriate speed in IL-2Compare for the planetype I fly. (When turn-fighting!)

When someone's on my 6 though I tend to use whatever trick is available, like dumping flaps as far as I dare without jamming them to "do a Maverick" ("I'll hit the brakes and he'll fly right by..." "You'll do WHAT!?")

Take-off usually done without flaps (except from carriers), landing always at full.

Dolemite-
04-01-2005, 03:08 PM
Isnt that the reason they are called <span class="ev_code_RED">Combat</span> flaps? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Wilburnator
04-01-2005, 04:30 PM
I use the full range of flaps as needed in combat. When you bind them to an axis on your control setup, the standard settings of "combat", "take off" and "landing" go out the window... you can apply as much or as little as you need with a slider/rotary/pedal. I have mine set to the left toe brake function on my CH pedals. At this point I use a little flaps here and there without consciously thinking about it.

zetareticulan
04-01-2005, 06:35 PM
A soupcon of flap, in addition to small corrections using trim can make close formation flying a lot less freddie fraughtington.

FI-Aflak
04-01-2005, 06:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by F19_Ob:
Hello mates http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I've flown heavier planes for a long period and use the whole flaprange (not only combatflap) frequently to survive online.
I didnt give it so much thought in planes with alround good maneuverability but it became a decisive factor when I began to fly the worse performers and heavies.

It would be interesting to hear how U use it and
if u use it differently depending on plane.
Any thoughts? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use it to get max emergency climb rate in some planes, like the P-38, makes it more stable in a sustained steep climb.

LStarosta
04-01-2005, 09:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FI-Aflak:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by F19_Ob:
Hello mates http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I've flown heavier planes for a long period and use the whole flaprange (not only combatflap) frequently to survive online.
I didnt give it so much thought in planes with alround good maneuverability but it became a decisive factor when I began to fly the worse performers and heavies.

It would be interesting to hear how U use it and
if u use it differently depending on plane.
Any thoughts? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use it to get max emergency climb rate in some planes, like the P-38, makes it more stable in a sustained steep climb. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wrong. You actually get greater climb rates without flaps. What may seem to you like a big boost in climbrate really isn't because your airspeed bleeds off much quicker with flaps deployed.

MAILMAN------
04-01-2005, 09:31 PM
I fly the F4U Corsair (all variants) almost exclusivly? It is imperitive if you want to milk every drop of performance out of this aircraft. I am deploying the landing flaps at the top of low E loop, because it lets the nose "flop" over the top at 20 KIAS. Reel them all in when the nose is below the horizon. I use the flaps in Hi Yo Yo turns sometimes even landing flaps depending how high I make the turn. Dropping Combat Flaps (bleeds e for a wicked instantaneous turn) in a hi speed turn with a Zeke may be all you need for the deflection shot turning him into a Roman Candle. One last thing on the use of flaps. If you are in a zoom or very steep climb with the opponent following you up just outside of gun range and too slow to pull his nose up and you both are about out of Energy you can, and I have done this with a Corsair, deploy the landing flaps as you level off and you will "float" usually long enough for the bad guy to stall. Then all you do is roll, put the nose down and reel in the flaps and dive on your hapless victim.

JadehawkII
04-01-2005, 09:39 PM
I fly the La-5/7 series quite a bit and can say I use the combat flaps. Mostly when I excute a turn in both horizontal turns and when I'm diving down on a Me-109 or FW-190. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif But like the others, it's just used only during the turns and in most cases, not even all the way through the turn it's self. Several times I have been down on the deck and deploy the combat flaps to give me that extra zip when I'm forced into a turn with the Me-109 or FW-190 on my rear and it helps to keep me going around until they drop off or crash. I also use this technique when I need to make a inside turn to get a lead on shot at my target using deflection. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif I get a kick outta that when they do! Hehhee good ol Ruskie wooden wonder! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif But the bottom line is, no matter what plane you fly, get to know it's best strengths, weakness and KNOW your enemy's and you CAN beat em and beat em well.

Hunde_3.JG51
04-01-2005, 09:58 PM
I use combat flaps only (and frequently), except in rare instances when I am extremely desperate when getting caught during takeoff or landing, or when trying to out-hang an opponent at the top of an energy maneuver. Then I'll use takeoff and landing flaps. I rarely ever sustain use of combat flaps in a fight, I more click them off and on in brief spurts to gain angle and to stabilize the aircraft.

If you don't use combet flaps on the offensive to pull angles to take snapshots, or to give you that little extra lift you need to get the proper lead, than you are not using your aircraft to its potential IMHO. This is especially true in aircraft like P-47 and FW-190. If I didn't use flaps I would lose many kills as I would be unable to pull the needed angle, or be unable to pull enough lead especially in hard vertical maneuvers.

JG54_Arnie
04-02-2005, 03:46 AM
Same as Hunde here.

I never use takeoff or landing flaps in combat, bleeds way too much E, especially in the FW since you need to keep that speed up anyways.

F19_Ob
04-02-2005, 04:16 AM
Thanks for your views.

Very inreresting.

OldMan____
04-02-2005, 04:55 AM
Use all flaps that are needed. Specially in FW190. Combat flaps to AVOID stalls, speacially when pulling hard enough that I know a harder pull will make me stall.. I just drop flaps and let them increase the pull up alone to the point where I want to be pointing at. Combat flaps delay FW stall a lot so in short periods they can be used to give a very high initial turn rate.

TAkeoff flaps and sometimes land flaps on top of Speed->altitude trading maneuvers to avoid lossing E by simple underlift and altitude loss. So with 190 you can go staright Up.. till 90 kph.. turn horizontal and stablize losing almost no height. The start retrieve flaps as speed reches 210 kph and 280 kph.

civildog
04-02-2005, 02:59 PM
I use combat flaps to keep my Cobra in a tight enough turn that I get to watch improperly flown 109's drop like rocks when they try to stay on my tail too long.

PBNA-Boosher
04-02-2005, 07:19 PM
Occasionally in the Mustang and Corsair to pull a bit of extra lead on a target or break out of a dive into another maneuver.