PDA

View Full Version : History Question.

Boatfull
03-13-2005, 10:35 PM
During the first World War Germany used it U-boat
fleet to terrorize allied shipping primarily the
British fleet.

Was Germany allowed to keep any of their WW1 U-boats? If so WHY?

Its kinda like giving the club back to the guy that
clubbed you.

The reason I'm asking is because I hear that SHIII
will have Type ? subs used in WW1 before they were
phased out.

blue_76
03-13-2005, 10:47 PM
After WWI all of the countries involved signed the treaty of Versailles. Part of that treaty made Germany pay reparations (money) to France and britain - lots of reparations. In addition, the treaty required that Germany basically get rid of its navy and air force, and have a tiny army, which was embaressing for the Germans. Also, the Rhineland, on the Western side of Germany was permanantly demiliterized, so Germany would not pose a threat to its neighbors to the West. Anyways, after world war I, Germany was paying reparations to Britain and France, an Britain and France were paying back debts to the US, and the US was lending money to germany. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

KaosxMeach
03-14-2005, 05:43 AM
As far as I know any WW1 subs at the end of the war were brought together for evaluation by the RoyaL Navy and then scuttled.

A few might have been kept for research or museum pieces, not sure tho.

HeibgesU999
03-14-2005, 10:04 AM
And the American People were so sickened by the amount of money made by Industrialists during WWI, that we had 20 years of beautiful Isolationism.

KaosxMeach
03-14-2005, 10:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HeibgesU999:
And the American People were so sickened by the amount of money made by Industrialists during WWI, that we had 20 years of beautiful Isolationism. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

20 Years of beautiful isolationism led to 10 ugly depression years and mass unemployment.

Hans_Koenig
03-14-2005, 11:14 AM
After the defeat in WW1 Germany was forbidden any submarine.
On 15 March 1935 Hitler rejected the Versailles Treaty and in June of the same year an Anglo-german agreement was made, where it was stated that Germans could build 45% of the subs the British had, with an option to reach parity.

Long before that German engineers had designed and built submarines in Holland, Spain and Finland, gaining precious experience.
All the types used at the beginning of WW2 were derived from foreign built boats.

No WW1 vintage boat was ever used by the Germans during WW2.

Boatfull
03-14-2005, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the history lesson guys