PDA

View Full Version : Really cool ending to a mission the other day!!

mortoma
06-17-2007, 07:47 PM
Hehe, this was awesome. I was flying an offline mission against AI in a LA-5F fighter. I had already shot down a 109 and a Stuka when I decided to work on another Stuka trying to destroy my friendly buddies on the ground in a vehicle convoy. Well, the defensive gunner got me pretty good and splattered my windscreen with oil and my engine was dying fast. I decided to land on a road while I still had some engine power left. I landed perfectly on the road, but didn't realize it was the same one my friendly convoy was on. I normally just stay on the roads and shut off my engine right there but decided to pull off the road to the right. I barely had enough engine power to get her off the road. Good thing I did though!! Just then I heard, a metallic squealing sound, turned out I looked to the left and there was that convoy just going by, the vehicles almost running into my left wingtip. I had just gotten off that road in a millisecond soon enough and just far enough. Also, right then as I was looking at the vehicles drive by, that same Stuka, was strafing the column!! I nice vantage point to see that. I rarely have had something that cool happen in this sim.

Crash_Moses
06-17-2007, 10:10 PM
I HATE when that happens... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

foxyboy1964
06-17-2007, 10:45 PM
Anybody ever flown into a bailing AI airman? It happened to me, once, ages ago. An AI team mate had shot down a bomber, above and ahead of me. As I was climbing I could almost swear a free falling figure filled my screen then BANG, black screen. I had to watch the track a couple of times to convince myself it had happened.

Taking into account how much time I've spent playing this game, and bearing in mind that this has only happened once, it makes me wonder what other "freaky" things are possible.

Xiolablu3
06-17-2007, 11:59 PM
Hehe, what are the odds?

rnzoli
06-18-2007, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by foxyboy1964:
Taking into account how much time I've spent playing this game, and bearing in mind that this has only happened once, it makes me wonder what other "freaky" things are possible.
Urban legend says that droptanks and shot-off gears can also kill sometimes... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

lynx421993
06-18-2007, 08:06 AM
I was once flying a quickmission in a P-38 and gat shot down. So I bailed out, and got shot before I had time to open my parachute.

I looked like superman, or some other superhero. Legs straight up. Arms bent and back.

MarkSynthesis
06-18-2007, 10:02 AM
I was once flying a quick mission as a La-7 against a pair of He-111.

Right on their six, my screen suddenly grew black. Pilot killed by one of those ridiculous accurate tail gunners Il-2 is famous for.

So I switched to outside view and waited for my plane to crash. Only it didn't. Somehow, I was at the perfect power settings for my plane to fly in circles over and over again. I counted more than fifteen times before I got bored and quit, and it didn't seem as though my plane was loosing any significant altitude. It might have continued until the engine overheated and stalled out, or my plane ran out of fuel.

crucislancer
06-18-2007, 10:42 AM
Yesterday I was flying a Tempest, closing on the 6 of a schwarm of FW-190s, each with a bomb on the centerline. When they dropped their bombs to perform evasive action, one of the bombs dropped into the cockpit of a 190, as he dove out of my way. I was laughing so hard I almost crashed. Fortunately I wasn't close enough to get caught in that blast.

Then, playing the same mission, this time in a 190 going to deliver a few bombs to an RAF airfield, I dropped my bombs at 100 meters and realized too late that I didn't set my fuse long enough. I took out a Mosquito, a hangar, and fuel truck, and my right wing with that bomb. Missed taking out another building on the way down. Bummer.

crucislancer
06-18-2007, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by MarkSynthesis:
I was once flying a quick mission as a La-7 against a pair of He-111.

Right on their six, my screen suddenly grew black. Pilot killed by one of those ridiculous accurate tail gunners Il-2 is famous for.

So I switched to outside view and waited for my plane to crash. Only it didn't. Somehow, I was at the perfect power settings for my plane to fly in circles over and over again. I counted more than fifteen times before I got bored and quit, and it didn't seem as though my plane was loosing any significant altitude. It might have continued until the engine overheated and stalled out, or my plane ran out of fuel.

That happened to me once in the original IL-2. I took a shot in the cockpit from some flak on a bombing run in a IL-2, and just happen to be on WEP and climbing at the time. It took 10 minutes for my plane to finally crash. It would go up, then slow down, start coming down and the nose would come up again with the increased speed. And it was turning as well.