PDA

View Full Version : controls heavyness and FFB

rosaenrico
06-23-2007, 06:46 AM
Hi all,
the following was posted by me in another discussion but but no reply has been given these days; I would like to re-post it since I am very curious to know if the idea is doable or not.
The background argument is about pilot fatigue, induced by controls-heavyness, which arises above all in prolonged maneuvers; this fatigue should reduce the possibilities of sharp turns and maneuvers by the pilot.

So:
"perhaps there is a way to simulate this reduced pilot strength even in the curren sim:
I know very very little about Force feedback devices but I suppose that the sim gives output signals regarding the heavyness of control surfaces, used by force-feedback devices.
If this is true, i. e. the game already knows the forces and gives them to us, maybe we could use these outwards signals to modify in real time the joystick in-wards signal by means of a program.
In other words: I recall a freeware background program used years ago to "personalise" and calibrate the joystick; this program apparently stayed between Windows (Joystick input signal) and the games which used these windows information.
Is it possible to build a similar program that uses force-feedback signals to progressively modify the input that windows gives to the sim? I know nothing about software and all of this may easily be all wrong and inconsistent, but who knows ...
Cheers
Enrico"

Bearcat99
06-23-2007, 11:57 AM
I doubt it will be coded into this sim.. and frankly I think it would be a waste of time. I think that realism can only go so far in a sim. While on paper things like this sound good.. in the end no one will select the "weaker" pilot fatigue level.. and if it becomes something that is random.. well thats counter productive IMO.

lowfighter
06-24-2007, 10:10 PM
Enrico, we can be sure delevelopers will not tackle pilot fatigue, one sort or other, in il2. It's simply a too big/complicated matter, and il2 development is at it's end.
But we can hope something will be done in BOB. Bearcat is rather pesimistic above, and perhaps many others, but I can't help hoping http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

rosaenrico
06-25-2007, 04:27 AM
Bearcat and Lowfighter, thank you for the replies.
The main purpose in my message was to consider a technical question, in terms: it makes sense, it' s doable - it doesn't make sense, not doable.
The technical question is: would it be possible to "read" a signal in output from the simulator (does this signal exist? I Don't know; perhaps one concerning Force-feedback responses), use it in some sort of algorythm to modify, progressively and in real-time, the joystick signal which Win gives to IL-2? The modifications would concern the progressive reduction in the amplitude of displacement applied to control surfaces of the planes.
Hope that my english is not too "confused".
Thanks
Enrico