PDA

View Full Version : New Guy Video Card Advice Please!

A2J_Sparrow
12-29-2004, 10:30 PM
Hello to all,

This is my first post to this forum, or to any forum for that matter. However, I have been visiting this forum for months now, watching PF develop. I just got it as a Christmas gift, and I am very impressed! It's the best combat sim I've seen since Aces Of The Pacific! Believe it or not, I'm running it on a Pentium 3 1Ghz with 512mb of SDRAM and a 128mb E-VGA GeForce4MX440SE, and with all patches applied and graphics on medium settings, it is very playable! Obviously though, there are times when things are a bit choppy, and I'm missing out on the water and some other details, which brings me to the point of this thread: I need advice for buying a new video card. Would there be any point in buying one with the system that I have? I can't spend more than $100, and I can't upgrade anything else right now. I prefer NVIDIA cards,and have been looking at Chaintech's or E-VGA's 256mb FX5700LE cards, which are both just within my budget right now, but I don't want to take the plunge if it won't help the game's performance. So, if someone could let me know whether or not it would be worth it, that would be great! Thanks in advance! Also, if someone could tell me what the difference is between a 5700, 5700 Ultra, and 5700LE, I would appreciate it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

noshens
12-29-2004, 11:07 PM
Hey there, first of all I am not expert in Nvidia cards, never had one.

It seems like your cpu is really old and as far as I know pentium 3 can be upgraded up to 1.3 for a price of a good p4, which is not worth it.

Now to answer your questions...
The 5700 LE is not a full-fledged 5700. It is basically an updated version of the 5200, which is a sucky card.

5700LE:
250MHz core, 400MHz memory (6.4 GB/s).

5700 Ultra:
475MHz core, 900Mhz memory (14.4GB/s).

As you might imagine, the 5700 Ultra is twice the speed. I am not sure but it seems like usual 5700 is someting in between.

Overall performancewise:
5700 LE < 5600 < 5700 <5700 ultra< [insert some of the 5900 cards here] < 6600 GT

I'd recommend someting like this
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-303&depa=0
it's better than any 5700 and there is a chance to mod it to pro, and when you decide to make a new pc you can use this card, if you succeed at moding it to pro it would be a very decent card to have even with a new system.

I don't think you are going to increase your fps by alot, but this will definately allow you to play the game at better graphics. You can also try to overclock your cpu...

horseback
12-30-2004, 02:54 AM
Going to a 5700 of any flavor will be an improvement over what you currently run. I haven't seen any 'normal' 256Mb 5700s (Ultra or otherwise) for less than $175 US here in Southern California.

It looks to me as though your performance bottleneck is more likely to be your processor, though. You might want to look at spending the $100 on something in the neighborhood of 2+ Ghz. There has to be a dealer who is offering a mobo/processor package in that price range somewhere near you.

cheers

horseback

TgD Thunderbolt56
12-30-2004, 07:30 AM
Anything more than a 5700 VC would be like putting 120 octane fuel in a Chevy chevette (That's Chevette...not corvette. It'll run better, but may not be much.

I'd strongly suggest saving the $100 and adding a bit to it over the next few months and getting a nice mid-range combo then. ($250 can get you a decent proc, mobo, ram combo). You'll be much happier and oyu can still use the older machine for surfing and business apps...or even a nice hardware firewall all of which will help the newer machine run better.

The sad truth is, you're ready for an upgrade to stay ahead of the flightsim tech curve and is costs $. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif