PDA

View Full Version : How to mark a contact in Realistic Chart Option???

Lchza
03-11-2005, 06:37 PM
"If you choose to use the Realistic Chart option (no god's-eye view), get ready for a whole new challenge in subsimming. The Realistic Chart option never marks down ship icons or contacts, and it does not put handy sonar bearing lines down for you"

How i determinate where "excactly" a contact is in the CHART by simply hearing it with the hydrophone? by the intensity of the sound and bearing? this is very inaccurate.

ParaB
03-11-2005, 06:43 PM
You could always surface and take a look. Or use the periscope.

Determining the course, range and bearing of a contact via passive sensors only is a tricky process even on modern subs.

Lchza
03-11-2005, 06:48 PM
what if you dont see the contact? Imagine its beyond the horizon, so you hear it through the hydrophone. What do you do then?
Would be thankfull if someone clear this out for me, thanks.

archer49d
03-11-2005, 06:54 PM
Sound travels through water at about a mile a second, if you're super lucky you'll get a faint signal from a ship at about 30-40 miles out (30-40 seconds which is only a few hundred yards the ship has moved since the sound you heard was made), at that point slow to about 1/3 and track the contact to determine which way it's headed, when you have that make yourself a range circle from it's last position of one hour at it's last known speed. Chart an interecept to be at one of it's bow quarters at one hour of your combined speeds, then close the distance and engage any way you want.

Pr0metheus 1962
03-11-2005, 06:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lchza:
what if you dont see the contact? Imagine its beyond the horizon, so you hear it through the hydrophone. What do you do then?
Would be thankfull if someone clear this out for me, thanks. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You head towards it until you can see it. Hydrophones are good enough to get a relatively accurate intercept course.

Delfin1941
03-11-2005, 09:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lchza:
Would be thankfull if someone clear this out for me, thanks. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well that depends.
If it's a Destroyer and the sound is getting louder and it's daylight I would NOT surface.

If it's a convoy of ships I would surface (but before that try to determine where it is heading. Then when I'm in a good position I can set up for attack.

A U-Boot was not a true Submarine - It was just a boat able to dive.

So dive only if you have to, stay on surface as much as possible, but beware of aircraft.

In fog, storm, or darkness when having reached the patroll area dive to check hydropones. You can hear more downthere then you can see on the surface.
A good pair of hydrophones can detect the sound of ships up to maybe 80 or 100 miles. The u-boot hydrophones were really good - so use them.

So hydropones are used mainly for 2 things (my tactic).. finding convoys of ships when visibility is bad. And listening for destroyers (defensive)..so you know what maneuvers to do, when all hell breaks loose like in Das Boot. lol http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Subsim
03-11-2005, 10:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lchza:How i determinate where "excactly" a contact is in the CHART by simply hearing it with the hydrophone? by the intensity of the sound and bearing? this is very inaccurate. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the point of a Realistic Chart option! You have to use your judgment. You have to go to the hydrophone station, turn the wheel, pick out screws, note the bearing, then go to the chart, mark a line on that bearing. And repeat, constantly, until you can see them in your periscope.

It's very challenging, yes, but that's how Prien and Kretschmer had to do it.

Or, you can stick with the easy map, just keep pushing the fire button.

JavDog
03-11-2005, 10:48 PM
If it is to be truly realistic, wouldn't you as the Kapitain have to rely on your sonar officer? You would'nt be searching for contacts, he would. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Subsim
03-11-2005, 10:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JavDog:
If it is to be truly realistic, wouldn't you as the Kapitain have to rely on your sonar officer? You would'nt be searching for contacts, he would. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, you can do that too, just let the sonarman call out the bearings, you mark them on the map.

Lchza
03-12-2005, 01:06 PM
Great, you now know the bearing of the sound contact, and go to the chart and mark a line in that bearing, but lines are infinite. So how do i know if the target is moving away, north, west?, the sonarman can tell me this, but how do i mark a probably location of the contact? maybe i cant reach the target because of the speed and bearing, how do i know this?
my question is about the technical procedure of doing this
Would be thankfull if someone clear this out for me, thanks.

nstutt
03-12-2005, 01:35 PM
I would imagine (not being a sonar operator) that the strength of the signal may indicate a likely range to a good operator. So I would imagine that once he has a contact the operator should be able to say something like 'bearing 350 range long fading' or 'bearing 180 range medium closing' etc This should give you enough data to plot an intercept course and decide when to go to periscope depth. Of course a true plot would not be able to be made accurately until the ship is seen through the periscope.

Unless you have worked in submarines all your life though I would say that it would be more realistic to play on an easier level so that you have the ships plotted for you. Navigators and hydrophone operators probably had a hell of a lot more training during the war than you will have just playing the game for a few hours a night.

Also playing on an easier level would make up for the deficiency in computer graphics/sound over the real thing etc as well.

Its the same with computer flight sims. You cant expect to dogfight without labels on the planes because computer monitors cannot hope to compete with the resolution of a persons eyes in real life. Labels on planes may seem like cheating but in actuality they are simply telling you what the restrictions of the computer monitor cannot, but what in reality you would be able to see if you were a pilot in the RAF or whatever.

Nats

hauitsme
03-12-2005, 01:42 PM
Even in real life there are problems with recognition. To say that you have to play on easy settings to overcome shortcomings is dumb. How many times have there been in the last few decades alone in misidentification of targets? And that's with all the technology we have now.

Lchza
03-12-2005, 01:48 PM
Im my opinion games are always better playing with difficulty settings at 100%, i just wanted to know how to use one of this options (Realistic Chart), that in my opinion makes the game by far more interesting.
Maybe my only hope for understanding this is a tutorial in the game, if there is any about this option.

Shinzoy
03-12-2005, 02:44 PM
I saw in the previous posts from the fun day from the manual we have the option to change course to match bearing.

So if your officer detects a contact on a specific bearing you can tell your Nav officer to intercept course could you not, then use periscope when you have a close approach.

Also I have a question on enemy detection, if you fire a torpedo at 1200 yards and hit a target can they determine where the torpedo came from? and come after you. I would find it hard to believe that at that distance running silent that if they discovered a ship got hit they would have an idea where to look. especially at night.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif

stevenwhiting
03-12-2005, 02:49 PM
And laminate the map that should be coming in the box and then you can chart your course on that.

HeibgesU999
03-12-2005, 08:01 PM
As the Uboat Commanders Handbook says, "the place of the submarine is on the surface."