PDA

View Full Version : Where to aim when shooting Mc 200/202

Vanderstok
04-20-2009, 01:22 AM
I have almost finished a small campaign, very loosely based on the book "A good clean fight" by Derek Robinson. It's situated in the desert (MTO map in 4.09b) where you'll fly the P-40 Tomahawk for the Desert Air Force. One of the enemy aircraft you can expect to run into is the Italian MC 200 or MC 202. I noticed I find these aircraft quite hard to bring down. While a snapshot at a Bf109F will usually result in at least a fuel or coolant leak, the Macchis seem to be made from concrete. On several occasions I had a Mc 202 do a scissors in front of me, each time he turned I could shoot the fuselage. It took me about 8 or more passes before I noticed any damage?

So, I'm doing something wrong here. Where should one aim for to get results?
(btw, I know all about gun convergence. I've set mine to 150m now)

Vanderstok
04-20-2009, 01:22 AM
I have almost finished a small campaign, very loosely based on the book "A good clean fight" by Derek Robinson. It's situated in the desert (MTO map in 4.09b) where you'll fly the P-40 Tomahawk for the Desert Air Force. One of the enemy aircraft you can expect to run into is the Italian MC 200 or MC 202. I noticed I find these aircraft quite hard to bring down. While a snapshot at a Bf109F will usually result in at least a fuel or coolant leak, the Macchis seem to be made from concrete. On several occasions I had a Mc 202 do a scissors in front of me, each time he turned I could shoot the fuselage. It took me about 8 or more passes before I noticed any damage?

So, I'm doing something wrong here. Where should one aim for to get results?
(btw, I know all about gun convergence. I've set mine to 150m now)

general_kalle
04-20-2009, 01:44 AM
i would imagine the cocpit to be a good target since theres no glass canopy on the MC .200

Vanderstok
04-20-2009, 05:53 AM
Yes, but I don't think the glass panels on the side or top of the cockpit will stop any bullets http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Anyway, killing the pilot is very difficult because of the armor plating behind him. I'll give it a shot (literally!) but I can't even remember the last time I actually shot the pilot...

M_Gunz
04-20-2009, 07:03 AM
Don't shoot from dead six. Try 4-5 and 7-8, from above or below.

kingtiger2008
04-20-2009, 07:12 AM
I think you better aim for the sides(the place between the pilot and the twin machineguns) and wingroots. At the top of the engine and behind the pilot it seem to have pretty good armour protection.

And make sure you hit with the 20 mm cannon, not the 7.7 mm machineguns http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif .

Vanderstok
04-20-2009, 07:36 AM
No 20mm on the P-40 Kittyhawk I'm afraid, only four .303's and twin .50's. Let's say it's part of the challenge...

Thanks guys, I'll set up a quick mission with a Mc 202 as friendly and do some further testing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

berg417448
04-20-2009, 09:12 AM
IIRC, The original Mc-202 in the game had a simplified DM and could be difficult to bring down as compared to some other planes. I always had better luck with aiming for the wing root and trying to shoot the wing off.

danjama
04-20-2009, 09:16 AM
someone just took out my engine with one bullet from dead six, so go for engine

crucislancer
04-20-2009, 09:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vanderstok:
I have almost finished a small campaign, very loosely based on the book "A good clean fight" by Derek Robinson. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting. I'd like to give that campaign a shot. "A Good Clean Fight" is a great book, IMHO.

AllorNothing117
04-20-2009, 10:46 AM
A small note:

It seems that often when you ask people where to aim they offten say "cocpit" this is fine, but it is very difficult. I redomending aiming there if your guns are very ineffective and the target is well armoured. I.e. Huricane 1938 v He 111. But If you can find a bigger target go for that. I recomend trying to figure out where the fuel tanks are, if not go for the engine http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Just some tips from a n00b...

Vanderstok
04-20-2009, 11:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crucislancer:

Interesting. I'd like to give that campaign a shot. "A Good Clean Fight" is a great book, IMHO. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll post it when it's finished and uploaded to mission4today. It's VERY loosely based on the book though. As you may know, there is no air to air action in the book, so I have thought up some new missions as well ... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Ba5tard5word
04-20-2009, 12:40 PM
I think it may be the case that the MC 200 and MC 202 that can't be flown by a human player (they just say MC 200 or MC 202 instead of listing the Model numbers) are left over from the earlier versions of Il-2 and have a less realistic damage model that requires more shots to down than they really should. Try ones that list the model number and that are flyable and see if they are easier to shoot down.

In general though I would aim for the wings and engine if you can. Your .30 cals will limit you some obviously.

VW-IceFire
04-20-2009, 05:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:
I think it may be the case that the MC 200 and MC 202 that can't be flown by a human player (they just say MC 200 or MC 202 instead of listing the Model numbers) are left over from the earlier versions of Il-2 and have a less realistic damage model that requires more shots to down than they really should. Try ones that list the model number and that are flyable and see if they are easier to shoot down.

In general though I would aim for the wings and engine if you can. Your .30 cals will limit you some obviously. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thats only the MC.202. But you're right there is an old MC.202 still in-game that has a horrible skin and damage model. The flyable ones have much better visuals as well as damage models.

I find the MC.202 to be very weak in the engine. The MC.200 is a tiny bit tougher but I usually aim for the engine regardless and if I hit the controls, fuel tank, oil, or anything else useful then bonus.

DKoor
04-20-2009, 05:50 PM
Grab teh 20mm. Works good in this game.
MG151/20 and Hispanos are teh shinizzle... ShVaKs less so, but still nice.

With machine gun you need to hit good.

Vanderstok
04-21-2009, 06:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:
I think it may be the case that the MC 200 and MC 202 that can't be flown by a human player (they just say MC 200 or MC 202 instead of listing the Model numbers) are left over from the earlier versions of Il-2 and have a less realistic damage model that requires more shots to down than they really should. Try ones that list the model number and that are flyable and see if they are easier to shoot down... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, that would explain it. I have been using those older models. I will replace them with the flyables and see how it works out. ..

Ba5tard5word
04-21-2009, 10:08 AM
Well according to Icefire it might only be the MC 202.