PDA

View Full Version : The creed in future AC games.

cless711
06-11-2011, 11:26 AM
I know this is a big deal for some people since the franchise IS called Assassins "Creed". But i want to know how people want the Creed to be followed in future games.

In AC1 Atair mentions that the Creed does not command us to be free but it commands us to be wise.

So what do you guys think?

reini03
06-11-2011, 11:36 AM
Hopefully the next ancestor will be, like, born into the order so he's familiar with the creed, unlike Ezio. Someone who acts more stealthy, more assassin-like.

thyevi
06-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Yeah, the creed gets kinda lost in Ezio's life.
Maybe he's not to blame, since he was never raised an assassin.

Maybe his friends are to blame, but these friends never struck me as real assassins.

But wasn't the creed in the codex? If it was, Ezio didn't really learn much from it. Far too busy on his revenge spree.

The sentence "Nothing is true, everything is permitted" gets awfully wrong interpreted in AC2 and AC:B. Where they explain it as:
"Where other men blindly follow the truth, remember, Nothing is True. When other men are limited by morality or law, remember, Everything is Permitted.We work in the dark to serve the light, we are Assassins."

Actually the Assassin were bounded in their actions by morality (the first and second rules of the creed). Both the templars and the assassins strive for peace. But the templars aren't limited by morality. That's what seperates them. Their goals are the same. Peace. That's why the comment of the merchant King made sense: "We are the same".

The sentence of nothing is true, etc speaks not about actions but about a world view. That you cannot know something for sure and interpret something in multiple ways. That you can hold two contradicting viewpoints in same value.

The conversation with Al-Mualim makes this beautifully clear:

Al Mualim: What is the Truth?
Altair: We put faith in ourselves, we see the way the world really is and hope mankind one day might see the same.
Al Mualim: What is the world then?
Altair: An illusion, which one can either submit to, which most do, or transcent.
Al Mualim: What is it to transcent?
Altair: To recognise that nothing is true and everything is permitted. That laws do not arise from divinity but reason. I understand now that the creed does not command us to be free. It commands us to be wise.
Al Mualim: Do you see now why the templars are a threat?
Altair: Where as we would dispell the illusion, they would use it to rule.
Al Mualim: Yes, to reshape the world in an image more pleasing to them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...=channel_video_title (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fl5R3O6g1A&feature=channel_video_title). From 6:30.

This deeper meaning gets lost in translation from AC1 to AC2. Either storywise from the time of the crusaders to the rennaisance by losing the codex. Or the people working at Ubisoft on AC2 didn't pay as much attention to the philosphy of the assassins.

albertwesker22
06-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Yeah I got the same feeling during Ezio's induction into the order. Niccolo basicly said what Altair said at the beginning of AC 1 "It matters not how we complete our task, only that it is done" Which turned out to be completely wrong as you said.