PDA

View Full Version : Assistance Required: Refund Procedures

TomasNJ
04-15-2010, 08:49 AM
I have been excited about Assassins Creed II ever since I saw my friend playing the game on his XBOX 360. Therefore, I was quite pleased to read that ACII would be released on PC.

Upon purchasing and installing the game on my PC I find that I am unable to play the game on account of the fact that I do not have an Internet connection at my house, and probably will not have for the next 6-8 months. This game is nothing more than a coffee coaster to me.

I've tried returning the game to the store, however, they will not take it back because the game has already been opened. Therefore, I would like to know what procedures ubisoft has in place to refund total of "$67.78" for a game that I probably will never get to play on my PC.

Murcuseo
04-15-2010, 09:33 AM
To be fair you should have read the box more carefully but thats not really your fault, sure you were expecting it to be an offline game lol

The store you bought it from should have a returns policy, read it carefully and see if you have any rights... they could be talking rubbish just so they don't have to give you the money back.

Outside of that I doubt Ubisoft will give you any kind of financial support/compensation, try Ubisoft Support (http://www.ubi.com/US/Support/) and hope for the best.

Good luck, it sucks that you don't have internet for 6-8 months. I'd have a hard time dealing with that http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

tuljo.oobik
04-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Hi,

I haven't read the forum rules and I don't know whether posting about how to get around Ubisoft's DRM is allowed, (so that you could play without internet connection) but if it is just tell me and I'l post the instrustuctions. I'm in kind of a hurry so find it out for me or maybe some admin is so kind and will inform us.

Murcuseo
04-15-2010, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by tuljo.oobik:
Hi,

I haven't read the forum rules and I don't know whether posting about how to get around Ubisoft's DRM is allowed, (so that you could play without internet connection) but if it is just tell me and I'l post the instrustuctions. I'm in kind of a hurry so find it out for me or maybe some admin is so kind and will inform us.

Its not

TomasNJ
04-15-2010, 10:23 AM
Indeed, I should have read the box more carefully, I picked it the game up expecting it to be an offline game.

However, even looking at the label now there is nothing that suggests that this game will not work offline in single player mode. Most reading the label will expect that this concerns multiplayer mode not the single player mode...

Murcuseo
04-15-2010, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by TomasNJ:
Indeed, I should have read the box more carefully, I picked it the game up expecting it to be an offline game.

However, even looking at the label now there is nothing that suggests that this game will not work offline in single player mode. Most reading the label will expect that this concerns multiplayer mode not the single player mode...

If its a legit copy of the game it will say on the box "A Permanent Internet Connection is required to play the game" which is an obvious statement in itself. as I said check the shops returns policy carefully and/or contact Ubisoft Support (http://www.ubi.com/US/Support/)

bnalgene21
04-17-2010, 03:13 PM
It blows most people's minds that it takes a constant internet connection to play a single player game. Your 20/20 hindsight ****head-ish responses don't do anyone any good except showing what a tool you are.

TomasNJ
04-23-2010, 03:01 AM
I have been reading throughout on multiple web pages. From what I've read this game's protection has been cracked and users are able to play this game through multiple methods. It would be foolish for ubisoft to deny this.

Now that being said, I believe ubisoft needs to release their patch allowing users to play offline. The only people this DRM hurts are the actual buyers, many of whom will from the comments I've been reading will not buy a ubisoft game ever again.

Murcuseo
04-23-2010, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by bnalgene21:
It blows most people's minds that it takes a constant internet connection to play a single player game. Your 20/20 hindsight ****head-ish responses don't do anyone any good except showing what a tool you are.

I was actually trying to be helpful, you should try and be a bit more rational with your response instead of just name calling... pretty childish.

Also the irony in your "statement" is pretty outstanding.

I have been reading throughout on multiple web pages. From what I've read this game's protection has been cracked and users are able to play this game through multiple methods. It would be foolish for ubisoft to deny this.

Now that being said, I believe ubisoft needs to release their patch allowing users to play offline. The only people this DRM hurts are the actual buyers, many of whom will from the comments I've been reading will not buy a ubisoft game ever again.

Ubisoft don't deny it, they just don't want people posting about it on their forums... why is it so hard for people to get their heads around.

You don't **** on your own doorstep!

TomasNJ
04-23-2010, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by Robson19822009:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TomasNJ:

Ubisoft don't deny it, they just don't want people posting about it on their forums... why is it so hard for people to get their heads around.

You don't **** on your own doorstep! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course they don't want it posted here that goes without saying....

Their denial comes from the fact that they are not releasing a patch to allow people like me and many others to play offline. As i said they only people they are hurting are the people who are actually going to go out and buy the game.

Murcuseo
04-23-2010, 06:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robson19822009:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TomasNJ:

You don't **** on your own doorstep! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course they don't want it posted here that goes without saying....

Their denial comes from the fact that they are not releasing a patch to allow people like me and many others to play offline. As i said they only people they are hurting are the people who are actually going to go out and buy the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your assumption is based on the fact it hasn't been released yet, do you understand the logistics of creating such a patch... its not as simple as you make it sound

Just because you haven't got what you want, when you want it doesn't mean things are as you seem to think they are... anyway, there hasn't been conforimation or denial so try being patient

Abeonis
04-23-2010, 06:54 AM
Answering the initial question, depending on what country you're from the regulations obviously differ (though I'd be surprised if it was anything more then minor details), but as far I know, the store should take your game back. You haven't used the internet code because you haven't got an internet connection, so there's nothing preventing them from selling the game on.

If they still refuse, demand a manager, the managers usually relent just to get you out of the store; push comes to shove, just lie and say the game is faulty.

caswallawn_2k7
04-23-2010, 08:40 AM
most stores when you buy games ask if you are sure your PC can run the game, this is a disclaimer that removes any responsibility from the store as you have stated you know you can run it.

but to be fair on the legit copy of the gamed there is a big box at the bottom of the front cover saying you need a constant connection to play, for example

http://images.play.com/covers/9606606x.jpg

so really this is the same as taking a game back because you buy it not reading the requirements and then trying to return it because your PC wont run it and to be fair to Ubi they have stated clearly multiple times on each box of all the games that use this system that the internet is required to play.

the other reason you will never get a refund for a PC game is due to the CD key requirement as with a valid CD key you can play the game while returning the copy back to the store basicaly getting the game for free.

you can try to take it up with the store or Ubi but chances are this will come down to, you got what you purchased so no body is responsible for you not checking you could run the game.

thegreatsquare
04-23-2010, 09:07 AM
You could claim that "permanent internet connection" is misleading as you could have permanent physical internet connection and still run into trouble.

The disclaimer, to be accurate, should read:

"infallible constant internet connection required"

So you could argue that the EULA requirement is both misleading and illegitimate due to omissions. No where on the box does it say what the connection is used for or that game saves are not stored on your pc.

Of course, I'm of the opinion that FCC regulations require electronics to accept interference from other sources and as such Ubisoft's DRM can't legally trump that regardless of whatever Ubi wants to put in the EULA. If state laws can't trump federal laws in most cases, I don't see EULAs having that capability. Courts half the time find that what companies wish just to be purchases of the license are in fact purchases of the software by law.