PDA

View Full Version : Oleg - 1 request please

WTE_Pharoah
04-19-2006, 04:38 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed Aces over Europe - it was my first http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif One thing that I thoroughly enjoyed and wished that we had for IL2 and/or BOB is the 'time lapse' option ie. once you've taken off, etc, you press A for autopilot and the game zips you through to either:
- the next waypoint; and/or
- if there are enemies nearby.

At the moment I am so put off by offline play because of the distances to travel (eg. for long-range Pacific and Europe missions). Is there a possibility of doing this?

Sure there should be an option if you wanted to hand-fly it or have it on auto but sit there for 1 hr whilst you fly to the next waypoint, but I unfortunately don't have the time. I prefer to take off and get straight into it - if I wanted to dawdle I'd do it in FS2004 (which I do from time to time with the Wings of Power addons).

Please consider.

Thanks

Brain32
04-19-2006, 05:26 AM
Well it seems to me that you either do not have Pacific Fighters or you just didn't notice(don't worry it happens http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif) that this option already exists. First what you had from the begining was time compression, you could switch to autopilot and run time compression up to 8x, second which was I believe introduced in Pacific Fighters there is a true time skip, you just press it, and the game runs a long until you either reach enemys or last waypoint before landing.
Don't know the default keys so just scroll through your controls http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

DuxCorvan
04-19-2006, 08:42 AM
He's not talking about compressed time but about instant 'warping'.

Sorry, but FB/PF time structure doesn't allow this. In AOE, events were trigged. I mean, enemy planes didn't exist until you reached some waypoint, which triggered them to 'spawn' somewhere in the horizon. So you could hit 'A' and 'warp' till the next 'trigger' point, and the events -i.e. enemy or friendly flights- just 'spawned' from nowhere.

In PF/FB, everything happens as in reality: non-player flights don't spawn nor are triggered: they really operate from their airfields even if they're not in your path or in your field or vision -one of the reasons for this sim to be so hardware demanding. Crossing with another flight is not scripted as a trigger, but is the logical consequence of human and AI real-time decissions. Time can be compressed, but can't be instantly 'warped' since it cannot be predicted what you'll find in your next waypoint.

heywooood
04-19-2006, 10:43 AM
yeah - warping is best left to members of the Federation

Sordid_Sinister
04-19-2006, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by DuxCorvan:In PF/FB, everything happens as in reality: non-player flights don't spawn nor are triggered: they really operate from their airfields even if they're not in your path or in your field or vision -one of the reasons for this sim to be so hardware demanding. Crossing with another flight is not scripted as a trigger, but is the logical consequence of human and AI real-time decissions. Time can be compressed, but can't be instantly 'warped' since it cannot be predicted what you'll find in your next waypoint.
That's not entirely true. Most AI planes do operate like that, but sometimes new ones spawn on an airfield when you come near it. Not that it makes your point any less valid or anything, of course. Just for accuracy's sake.

LEXX_Luthor
04-19-2006, 04:10 PM
DuxCorvan is entirely true (as always).

In FB/PF, all AI aircraft that spawn on airfields are not triggered by the player's nearby location but are following mission design...or commands if you will...to take off at that time in the mission. Sordid you just happen to fly near enemy airfield when the enemy aircraft are timed to take off anyway.

What would be nice is AI aircraft held on the ground on "alert" when enemy AI planes approach within intercept distance, provided the means of detection (radar or ground observers) has not been destroyed. In fact, this is what the Battle of Britain was all about. Ground alert scramble.

The arcade sims have enemy planes exiting Hyper Space just because player plane flies near a predetermined hyperspace Jump Point. For these types of sims, it helps to watch Babylon-5 or Star Wars.