PDA

View Full Version : Recurrent crashes and corrupt saved games in multiplayer

Sulfee
01-30-2005, 06:40 PM
Hi -

My husband and I loved this game (bugs and all) when it first came out. We stopped playing after a few months because of bugs. Recently we started playing again and have run into the same exact problem again.

I'm hoping someone has some insight!

There are two issues at play here:

1: Corrupt (or seemingly so) saved games. I load the server, load the saved game, my husband connects, I assign characters, click launch game - and we are dumped back at the desktop. I go back 3-4 even 5 saved games and still the same problem. For the last week, we'd found that the Autosaves would work for us, but now that isn't even wroking.

The weird thing about this, is that if I load up that same saved game, and I launch with me controlling all the chars - it works fine. Very strange.

2: Recurrent crashes out of nowhere. Seems to be after about 45-60min of play every time. Wasn't too big of a deal until the saved game issues came up. We'd just save very often and re-load when it crashed.

We've uninstalled, reinstalled, both running 1.4 etc etc.

Any ideas anyone? We really enjoy the multiplayer aspect to this horribly buggy game and don't want to give it up if we can help it ;-)

Sulfee
01-30-2005, 06:40 PM
Hi -

My husband and I loved this game (bugs and all) when it first came out. We stopped playing after a few months because of bugs. Recently we started playing again and have run into the same exact problem again.

I'm hoping someone has some insight!

There are two issues at play here:

1: Corrupt (or seemingly so) saved games. I load the server, load the saved game, my husband connects, I assign characters, click launch game - and we are dumped back at the desktop. I go back 3-4 even 5 saved games and still the same problem. For the last week, we'd found that the Autosaves would work for us, but now that isn't even wroking.

The weird thing about this, is that if I load up that same saved game, and I launch with me controlling all the chars - it works fine. Very strange.

2: Recurrent crashes out of nowhere. Seems to be after about 45-60min of play every time. Wasn't too big of a deal until the saved game issues came up. We'd just save very often and re-load when it crashed.

We've uninstalled, reinstalled, both running 1.4 etc etc.

Any ideas anyone? We really enjoy the multiplayer aspect to this horribly buggy game and don't want to give it up if we can help it ;-)

Rozand
01-30-2005, 08:04 PM
Yeah that's an unfortunate problem with corruption and it usually means all of them become unusable. I don't know all that much about playing online since I never have played it that way.

To safeguard against corruption make a habit of backing up the files to another directory so you don;t lose much time.

I have to ask are you mixing charcters you play in single player with the online ones? That is listed in the manual as not workable.

Yeah the game seemed to have its share of crashes but to minimize it 1. close all background programs like virus progs and even firewalls with the ctrl+alt+del combination 2. defragment your hardrive regularly as it helps. 3. try changing sound and video options as sometimes conflicts there cause crashes. Anti-aliasing seems to be one of those things.

I truly hope you find some value in this and hope your problems can be lessened.

Sulfee
02-03-2005, 07:00 AM
Thanks for such a comprehensive response!

After reading through the archives of this forum, I found reference to someone else having this problem. They happened to note that they started having these issues after entering the Oubliette dungeon - which was exactly where we started having problems.

We managed to back out enough saved games to find a working one before Oubliette, and haven't had the saved game bug since.

On your recommendation - I also toned down some of the audio and display features, and started running the game in Win98 compliance mode. So far, no unexplained crashes!

So far so good. Thanks again for your help. We were ready to have a ceremonial burning of the POR CDs we were so tired of all the ****.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Sophie

Rozand
02-05-2005, 01:09 PM
You're most welcome. I am pleased you are having less problems now. I hope you enjoy the rest of the game. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif If something else comes up you know where to find us. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

MDS_Geist
02-06-2005, 07:52 AM
One other savegame issue is persistent graphics like cloudkill or circle of death. Never save your game when they are on the screen. Wait for them to end and move away before saving. I have no idea why it happens, just that it does and it is very annoying.