PDA

View Full Version : Escape difficulty poll

KCizzll
08-04-2010, 10:13 PM
I really liked in AC1 the feel of running from tons of guards and having to break line of sight then duck into hiding. Also the slower climbing and general less climbability of the buildings made finding your roof access more challenging.
AC2 made it way too easy IMHO just climb up the first vertical surface and just run along rooftops for 10 seconds and you're free... not very exciting.
Also having guards continually pour in during the fight made them feel more epic whereas in the sequel you kill a couple brutes and the rest take off... hrmph.

Xanatos2007
08-05-2010, 12:11 AM
The escapes were probably one of the best bits of AC1, especially with that adrenaline-pumping music coercing you along. Sometimes I'd intentionally slow down just so the chase would last longer.

Oatkeeper
08-05-2010, 12:31 AM
yeah, AC2 guards where dumb as heck. Like ive said alot recently Guards need to be pose enough of a threat so a large group of 6+ guards makes the player at least think of running vs loosing most of their health (where AC2, damage usually only came from falling, and you had so many potions that you could just ganster style though any fight). and guards need to be able to hunt you down with the same drive as they did in AC1. that way the stealth element is a bit more involved in basic play.

seekers should also occasionally show up more often so we can stealth kill occasionally, though I think their main place is for keeping the player on their toes when using stealth on assassination sequences

primerib69
08-05-2010, 12:32 AM
Yeah same I think the problem with AC2 was that Ubi thought, "Well, hey you know maybe if your team was fighting 1 dude, and he takes out your commanding officer(s) who just happen to be fully armored and wielding big-@$$ axes, while you don't have any armor and just have a sword, you would lay a couple in your pants and straight up book it". So that's probably why they did that, opposed to AC1 when, as you said, the guards kept coming.

EzioAssassin51
08-05-2010, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by primerib69:
Yeah same I think the problem with AC2 was that Ubi thought, "Well, hey you know maybe if your team was fighting 1 dude, and he takes out your commanding officer(s) who just happen to be fully armored and wielding big-@$$ axes, while you don't have any armor and just have a sword, you would lay a couple in your pants and straight up book it". So that's probably why they did that, opposed to AC1 when, as you said, the guards kept coming.

That did not make any sense whatsoever!

KCizzll
08-05-2010, 12:43 AM
I understood him. And it's a LOGICAL design choice but it's not a very FUN design.

notafanboy
08-05-2010, 01:23 AM
none of those ..... i want the guards to be as bad as in ac2 BUT i want the agile to be able to climb walls and do everything ezio does

AMuppetMatt
08-05-2010, 02:19 AM
I want it to be a bit more difficult than in AC1, something that I THOUGHT was going to happen in AC2. When I heard about the Agile guards being able to run faster than you, I thought it was going to mean that these escapes would push my skill to the limit and have me tested... instead it's a "OK, I'll kill the guy, throw a smoke bomb and run for 10 seconds".

Mission accomplished.

KCizzll
08-05-2010, 02:42 AM
That's actually part of what makes multi-player so exciting. Actually chasing and being chased by equally abilitied players... <drool>
Finally a worthy challenge!

EzioAssassin51
08-05-2010, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by AMuppetMatt:
I want it to be a bit more difficult than in AC1, something that I THOUGHT was going to happen in AC2. When I heard about the Agile guards being able to run faster than you, I thought it was going to mean that these escapes would push my skill to the limit and have me tested... instead it's a "OK, I'll kill the guy, throw a smoke bomb and run for 10 seconds".

Mission accomplished.

You don't even need the bomb http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

xChupa
08-05-2010, 02:54 AM
Definitely harder than AC2. I voted for harder than AC1 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

I want my escape to be satisfying and a challenge. This would fix two problems i know people had with AC2: for one it would make the game harder, and two it would put a greater emphases on stealth.

Im all for harder escapes and more aggresive AI overall.

AMuppetMatt
08-05-2010, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by EzioAssassin51:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AMuppetMatt:

Mission accomplished.

You don't even need the bomb http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was desperately trying to find some way of making it sound harder than it really is. In my first three or four (maybe even 5 now I think about it) run-throughs of the game I don't think I used to smoke bomb once.

Pointless device that takes away realism and makes it too easy. OK, I know you can argue that jumping off a building into some hay is unrealistic, but that's no reason to make combat and escaping unrealistic. How can you throw a smoke bomb that blinds and stuns enemies but not you?

The more I think about it, the more I realise that I'm more and more dissapointed with AC2... the only thing it had over AC1 was better replay value, and that only came from more variety in mission types.

Really hoping they fix AC3 up, because it's too late for Brotherhood...

jimbo11235813
08-05-2010, 04:25 AM
I think it should be harder than AC1, but with with guards ACTUALLY searching for you when you hide. I always found in AC2 that guards would just stand still as soon as you began hiding and would only start moving if you got out of the hiding place. They really need to improve the searching AI.

Also, I think that the guards should be aware of you (in notorious mode like in AC2) for five minutes to represent that they believe that you are still in the district because you've just committed murder and, if they lose you, they just shrug their shoulders and go on as if nothing happened.

Murcuseo
08-05-2010, 04:57 AM
As difficult or more so than AC, due to the fact you have more ways of escaping now like smoke bombs they should make it harder. As jimbo said the AI should be smarter and actually make the effort to look for you.

RevoltingIBunny
08-05-2010, 05:33 AM
Well, it should be kind of different in my opinion. Alot of things bothered me in the escaping/chases, I mean, it's not really realistic that the armor and the weapons a guard has affects their IQ, the seekers look for you and EVERY SINGLE BRUTE IS AN IDIOT? I think they should make it random, it's more realistic and it'll still keep you on your toes when you hide, not knowing if the guard is going to search for you or not. And Ezio's health should be alot less, it'll force you to run to avoid getting killed by 2 or 3 slashes. They should REALLY decrease the health so that Ezio dies from like 2 slashes of the normal sword, and like one hit of the big Axe thing's and like 3 hits of the daggers, depending on the blow. Oh and something else that was bothering me is that the Agile's run faster than you, but the just hit you once and you keep running after one second, pointless. They should be able to tackle you and hold you down for atleast a few seconds until other guards can catch up a bit. I don't know but... this just hit me... I think Ezio should have a Stamina bar that affects his speed when climbing, running and attacking. Also decreases the attacking damage if low. Could work, maybe.

EzioAssassin51
08-05-2010, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by RevoltingIBunny:
this just hit me... I think Ezio should have a Stamina bar that affects his speed when climbing, running and attacking. Also decreases the attacking damage if low. Could work, maybe.

Yeah, someone posted a Thread with a huge post describing an Idea like this! A lot of people liked it, as long as they could turn it off and on!

Rumble_Strike
08-05-2010, 06:58 AM
Although I didn't spend a lot of time on AC1 (found it quite repetitive in the end despite the amazing graphics and atmosphere) I thought the chase sequences were really good, but also very difficult. Sometimes the chases lasted a lot longer than the assassination part.

I felt that it was too easy to evade in ACII, and on some missions you only had to kill the target and not even escape, which surprised me.

So I voted for "somewhere in between AC1 and ACII"

Oatkeeper
08-05-2010, 11:23 AM
anouther thing I LOVED about AC1 was those return to base missions where the whole city was on full alert. Those where so intence cuase guards where EVERYWHERE.

We had the thief's hideout, the brothels, etc. there is no reason we couldn't have had a few of those, I mean we only killed the most important man in Venice TWICE (okay so once was us only getting blamed for it but still)

a dev needs to come in here and be all "hey guys, lets try fixing this", after all, ubi has listened to us before.

SaintlPatrick
08-06-2010, 11:47 AM
I think is is probably a good place to discuss a general difficulty toggle. I thought escapes in both were way to easy, once you got the hang of it. Assassins Creed 2 promised guards that could chase you. I saw nothing of the sort. My proposition is this:

-Better chase guards.

-You can take off armor.

-Armor, while giving you more health, imparts a speed/jump/climbing penalty.

-Same for weapons. Increase damage of all weapons, lower counter window for hidden blade.

-After you break sight and escape, there is a Last Known Position, like is SCC, but it covers a large area. While in this area, you are Notorious.

KCizzll
08-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Heh, hidden blade was the only one with a well balanced counter window in my opinion! It was the rest of them that were really too easy to counter with, ESPECIALLY the empty handed disarms.

I like the last known position idea. The problem with AC2 is that there's so few guards around that even if you had a system like this you'd be unlikely to trip it, especially if on the roofs.

masterfenix2009
08-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Heh well as someone stated before somwhere make it a option for harderness...(not a word)if a game is to hard for me than it takes away from the xpeirience. I understand that ac2 was way to easy but make it a option. Because i dont play video games for challenge i play it for the story. no matter how easy or how how bad the gamplay is ill play and beat it for the story. Example of bad gamplay but good story that i own and play : saw

KCizzll
08-07-2010, 02:43 PM
I agree completely. No one wants to alienate gamers in it for the story. But if you want a challenge it should be available. I mean... 90% of games have this option already... Shouldn't be THAT hard to implement.

SixKeys
08-08-2010, 11:15 AM
I voted "between AC1 & AC2". Escaping in AC1 was definitely more challenging and I miss that. On the other hand, I liked that in AC2 some guards were smart enough to check the haystacks. So, my preference would be AC1 difficulty or harder with the improved AI of AC2 guards.

Grand_Arcanum
08-08-2010, 11:00 PM
Escape should definitely be harder than it was in AC2. Especially since Ezio has become a legend and the Borgia guard should be extremely passionate about taking him out once and for all.

First, combat should be difficult enough to make escaping an attractive decision. The single player walkthrough disappointed me in this aspect in that while guards were more aggressive, they were also easy to kill. Granted those men were low ranked, but if I'm heavily outnumbered my health should go down very quickly.

Second, guards should be more dogged about chasing me down once I flee. In AC1, guards not only chased me for several minutes, but they also set up barricades of men to cut me down as I run past. Considering the improved technology in this era, gunmen on the rooftops could deal significant damage to use as I run through the streets below.

CherokeeInferno
08-09-2010, 08:31 PM
I want it harder than AC1, and this can happen if they have counter-assassins that can recognize you and can run as fast as you and are just as agile, also having the ability to spot you when you are "hiding" on a bench. Or if you like unrealisticness, you could have an army of Chuck Norrises chase you, but everybody knows that this will never happen b/c he won't need to chase you. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

EzioAssassin51
08-10-2010, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by CherokeeInferno:
I want it harder than AC1, and this can happen if they have counter-assassins that can recognize you and can run as fast as you and are just as agile, also having the ability to spot you when you are "hiding" on a bench. Or if you like unrealisticness, you could have an army of Chuck Norrises chase you, but everybody knows that this will never happen b/c he won't need to chase you. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

What's with these people and Chuck Norris?