PDA

View Full Version : OMG!Ki43!!!



ytareh
02-04-2005, 04:33 PM
Just had my first proper 'fly' in a Ki43 in PF.You know the way there are one or two planes you never really get round to flying much in this SIM.Well all I can say is WOW!Its an absolute joy to fight in,the maneuvreability is unreal.Mind you ,you have to see the hairs on the back of the enemy pilots neck before you open fire to do any damage.Try it guys ,you wont be disappointed.

FoolTrottel
02-04-2005, 04:45 PM
Man, if it's that unreal, better tell Oleg about that!

No No, just being silly here.
Nice to see yer having fun.... go keep it up....

I'm still battling an Il2 campaign, next to a Beau campaign, and there's a Seafire at IWO waiting for me.... but I'll remember this one, the Ki43 will be next on list!

LEXX_Luthor
02-04-2005, 05:52 PM
As soon as PF was announced and Rumour said Ki~43 would be Flyable, I knew it would be my Fave PF plane, by Default.


If you have FB, have you tried CR.42? Modded by XANTY. If not, do it now at sunset mission time and turn on the cockpit lights. Very Sexy Instrument Panel. I didn't think Xanty was a Spaniard. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

JunkoIfurita
02-04-2005, 06:00 PM
Mmm, the Ki-43 is a lovely plane to fly. Looks sexy, too.

Considered the most nimble monoplane in the war, if I remember correctly. And the Ki43c model had a reflector sight and improved weaponry - perhaps we'll get it in the future. Perhaps not - either way I love flying around the mountains in it (try the netMountains map).

I think there's a thread around somewhere about a Warbirds company creating flying replicas, for any of you with bags of cash and a set of wings http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

cwojackson
02-04-2005, 06:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JunkoIfurita:
Mmm, the Ki-43 is a lovely plane to fly. Looks sexy, too.

Considered the most nimble monoplane in the war, if I remember correctly. And the Ki43c model had a reflector sight and improved weaponry - perhaps we'll get it in the future. Perhaps not - either way I love flying around the mountains in it (try the netMountains map).

I think there's a thread around somewhere about a Warbirds company creating flying replicas, for any of you with bags of cash and a set of wings http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>There is an outfit in Renton, WA building full size replicas of the Me262 (single and two seat models). Ironically, on the maiden test flight (two seater), the test pilot (who came over from Germany I believe) had to belly it in.

Jester_159th
02-04-2005, 06:14 PM
That's a huge pity about the 262 replica. Was it a write off or have they been able to salvage and rebuild it?

As far as the Ki43 goes, I tried it. but couldn'r get used to it. Mind you I was dying to get at the carrier landings at the time.

I'll give it another go though.

3.JG51_BigBear
02-04-2005, 06:20 PM
I was really excited about this plane before PF was released but after I flew it I realized that it just wasn't for me. After spending most of my three years in this game flying German planes I've become so used to energy fighting and boom and zooming that I really can't keep up in traditional turn fights anymore. I find that I can't track targets and at the speeds and altitudes that the Ki-43 forces the pilot to fly at I constantly feel like I'm in a vulnerable position. I just don't like the idea of flying around in something that's made out of toilet paper and duct tape while Corsair and Hellcats circle ominously overhead.

Offline its a lot better. Doesn't take much to aboid the AI but peppering them with those pee shooters takes a lot of patience and good aim.

cwojackson
02-04-2005, 06:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jester_159th:
That's a huge pity about the 262 replica. Was it a write off or have they been able to salvage and rebuild it?

As far as the Ki43 goes, I tried it. but couldn'r get used to it. Mind you I was dying to get at the carrier landings at the time.

I'll give it another go though. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Minimal damage. He landed on the grass verge.

There is a little more irony. A few hangers away is where the Boeing Museum of Flight was temporarily storing a B-17F (a rare bird) before taking it on over to a museum facility.

Jester_159th
02-04-2005, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the info.

Would you know if they've got a website, and if so could you post a link?

ytareh
02-04-2005, 06:24 PM
I see your point Bigbear a plane like the Ki43 you would just fly away from it, turn ,return and blow it into pieces but it is fun offline...

horseback
02-04-2005, 06:26 PM
In the Japanese inventory, the Ki-27, the Oscar's predecessor, was considered somewhat more maneuverable. It was, however, even more lightly armed and slower, with fixed and spatted landing gear.

But yeah, the Oscar is a hoot to fly. I put together an FMB with it on the Gulf of Finland map, so I could fly around and sightsee in Leningrad. I am happy to report that it fits under most of the bridges...

cheers

horseback

ytareh
02-04-2005, 06:29 PM
Oh by the way Jester i got LOMAC from my girl for Christmas but couldnt get my head round it at all-In Il2 you can play if you can roll,pitch(yaw a bonus!) and pull trigger....which is about where i started!Many jet combat sims seem to be only marginally easier than flying the real thing !I know thats why theyre called Simulators!But is Lomac worth persevering at?!At the end of the day IL2/PF is the creme de la creme yeah!!??

Viper_42
02-04-2005, 06:38 PM
I love the ki43 as well and its great for formations. In battle though, it lights up easier than a propane tank.

Atomic_Marten
02-04-2005, 06:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 3.JG51_BigBear:
I was really excited about this plane before PF was released but after I flew it I realized that it just wasn't for me. After spending most of my three years in this game flying German planes I've become so used to energy fighting and boom and zooming that I really can't keep up in traditional turn fights anymore. I find that I can't track targets and at the speeds and altitudes that the Ki-43 forces the pilot to fly at I constantly feel like I'm in a vulnerable position. I just don't like the idea of flying around in something that's made out of toilet paper and duct tape while Corsair and Hellcats circle ominously overhead.

Offline its a lot better. Doesn't take much to aboid the AI but peppering them with those pee shooters takes a lot of patience and good aim. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True. Especially in regard that Ki43 is great offline plane, but nightmare online, IMO.

hawkmeister
02-04-2005, 06:51 PM
I love the Ki-43, too. Just can't bear that telescopic gunsight. Holding my breath (and turning quite blue now) for the Ki-43-II (and, dare I say it - Ki-43-III!) to become flyable.

-Bill

p1ngu666
02-04-2005, 07:28 PM
a reflector gunsight would make it into a superb giant killer, its pretty good now.

its funny that german plane fliers cant get to grips with it, as i fly it very similer to a 109, and do fairly well realitive to what i do in any other fighter.

tralkpha
02-04-2005, 07:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jester_159th:
Thanks for the info.

Would you know if they've got a website, and if so could you post a link? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the only website i know of is the one in my sig where there are i believe at least 3 different options to choose from but not very much info on the history of the remanufacturing

tralkpha
02-04-2005, 07:57 PM
and of course my sig doesnt show here http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif or it mysteryously vanished....
hmmm... i cant find the site that had the prices but i have found the main website of the project
http://www.stormbirds.com/project/

Aztek_Eagle
02-04-2005, 08:15 PM
i wish some one would make a movie wiht all those me262s, the b17, and the bunch of p51s that are around

J_Weaver
02-04-2005, 10:57 PM
Wow thats cool.As soon as my rich uncle gets out of the poor house I'm gonna get me one of those babies! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Oh yea...the Ki_43 is cool too! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Infamous_Troll
02-04-2005, 11:03 PM
I think Lo-Mac is definatly worth it...it's different and will tax you r brain. I am a pilot myself w/ some military training so I got most of it fairly quickly. I'm still working at it though.

EnGaurde
02-04-2005, 11:40 PM
yes yes yes with the early Jap planes?

i dare you to find a more pure form of aerial fencing.

its just so vastly satisfying to flick a plane thru maneouvers, watch how the fight is developing, read what your opponent likes to do and edge your plane over to where he'll be two maneouvers from now...

.... doesnt always work, but when it does its pure magic.

the ki43 is a tad undergunned, but its a shiny honed epee amidst nicked, stained and rusty cutlasses. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

euro combat is a tad yawn inducing actually, fights either in vertical or horizontal straight lines palls after a while.

gimme loops, rolls, split s at 500 ft, rolling reversals and oh yes those endless, endless scissors... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

GerritJ9
02-05-2005, 01:38 AM
Try flying the Gladiator against the Ki43- the Glad wins! It is a bit slower, but just as manoeuverable and at least has a half-decent armament. It's a different story against the A6M2 though- here, the speed difference means the A6M2 can easily draw away, giving you almost no chance to shoot at it, and those 20mm guns will chew you to bits in short order.
In short, it may be nice to fly, but has a pop-gun armament and lights up easily.

Yimmy
02-05-2005, 06:46 AM
Gladiator / Ki43 / G.50 / CR.42 - should make for some interesting dog figths.

LuftWulf190
02-05-2005, 09:10 AM
The Ki-43 is a good bird. I like the telescoping gun sight.

As for an update to the Me-262 discussion. As it turned out the reason for the gear malfunction was because of the blue prints the company got to do the rebuilds. The problem with hte blue prints is that many of them were incomplete or damaged, so the asked the USAF for barrow their static Me-262, in return for being able to disassemble it and figure out the missing gaps they would restore the plane for the USAF. They filled the missing blue print gaps, but as many know slave labor was used to build some of the Me-262s and also infirior parts were also used in the original war time ME-262 construction. But they have since fixed the prible. and in fact these Me-262s are recognized not as replicas but the real deal. Messershmitt gave all the rebuild Me-262s all authentic 1944-1945 werk numbers!

Yimmy
02-06-2005, 06:22 PM
Now, I don't normally get too excited over computer games, but the Ki43 is friggin fantastic!
Up until now on PF, I have mostly been ground pounding in the dive bombers and A20, but I have finally found a fighter in the Ki43 which I can actually win with on the odd occasion! Suits my flying style down to the T!

On the Zoo server at UBI (a great server, its one misgiving being the inclusion of outside views, but thats just my opinion), in the ki43C I managed to down an F4F4, P38, and a P51 - I even managed to jump the P38 at reasonable altitude (finally got him when a boom and zoom went wrong). The guy flying was very good too, imo...

Anyway, just thought I would spread my short-lived glory with the world. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

darkhorizon11
02-06-2005, 06:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LuftWulf190:
The Ki-43 is a good bird. I like the telescoping gun sight.

As for an update to the Me-262 discussion. As it turned out the reason for the gear malfunction was because of the blue prints the company got to do the rebuilds. The problem with hte blue prints is that many of them were incomplete or damaged, so the asked the USAF for barrow their static Me-262, in return for being able to disassemble it and figure out the missing gaps they would restore the plane for the USAF. They filled the missing blue print gaps, but as many know slave labor was used to build some of the Me-262s and also infirior parts were also used in the original war time ME-262 construction. But they have since fixed the prible. and in fact these Me-262s are recognized not as replicas but the real deal. Messershmitt gave all the rebuild Me-262s all authentic 1944-1945 werk numbers! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True true, I've been following that its quite fascinating. The real 262s from the 40s had the same problems. I do respect that their making them as authentic as possible even with Werknummers, but I wouldn't exactly say that their originals. Their being made in Washington state.

NAFP_supah
02-07-2005, 01:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darkhorizon11:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LuftWulf190:
The Ki-43 is a good bird. I like the telescoping gun sight.

As for an update to the Me-262 discussion. As it turned out the reason for the gear malfunction was because of the blue prints the company got to do the rebuilds. The problem with hte blue prints is that many of them were incomplete or damaged, so the asked the USAF for barrow their static Me-262, in return for being able to disassemble it and figure out the missing gaps they would restore the plane for the USAF. They filled the missing blue print gaps, but as many know slave labor was used to build some of the Me-262s and also infirior parts were also used in the original war time ME-262 construction. But they have since fixed the prible. and in fact these Me-262s are recognized not as replicas but the real deal. Messershmitt gave all the rebuild Me-262s all authentic 1944-1945 werk numbers! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True true, I've been following that its quite fascinating. The real 262s from the 40s had the same problems. I do respect that their making them as authentic as possible even with Werknummers, but I wouldn't exactly say that their originals. Their being made in Washington state. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

People need to get over the werkenummer thing. Their still fakes, all that happened was that their lawyers talked to messerschmitt lawyers who were given loads of money and now they can paint some daft numbers on the side. They still are replica's I.E. Fakes. Its a great idea and all but ppl shouldn't start treating these things as authentic in any way.

Flakenstien
02-07-2005, 03:48 AM
Funny, I have a few models of the KI-43 in my FB/PF folder but can't seem to find it in game?
Any ideas as to what the case may be?

I'm interested in giving her a fly! So many aircraft available in this sim and so many to try.

Hendley
02-07-2005, 07:45 AM
Ah, the forgotten joys of dogfighting. After too long online with late-ish war European plane sets, you really start to forget how much fun a pure dogfight can be in something like the ki43 or those biplanes.

Or the P.11. Just played the Poland map in the greatergreen rotation (you know, the Me109s/Ju87s vs P.11 one) as red, and got into a 10 minute dogfight with a pair of Stukas... Kept managing to get behind one or the other, but these guys really flew well as a team and as soon as I was behind one the other was behind me. We peppered each other with hits, but it didn't end until I had to make a hasty landing at a nearby airstrip, out of ammo AND fuel--safe and sound, but victory to the Stukas.

The whole thing took place at less than 300m/250km/h. It was EASILY the best time I've ever had online... Infinitely more entertaining than getting bounced and insta-killed by a FW after spending 5 minutes gaining altitude, which is what usually happens when I venture out in a fighter http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ijnpilot
02-07-2005, 10:29 AM
The older, more manuverable planes are a joy to fly. Pure dog fighting is the most enjoyable part about the sim. Whipping a plane through aerobatic manuvers rather than climbing and diving is real test of piloting skill.

The only depressing thing is if you are in a Hayabusa against say a P-40, the P-40 pilot needs to deliberately engage you otherwise they can simply outrun you and return to base. But if they do engage you..... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

Yimmy
02-07-2005, 11:26 AM
People just cant resist trying for a boom and zoom on the older aircraft though - and all it takes is a snap role as they go past and you have time to put some rounds in their tail.

DIRTY-MAC
02-07-2005, 11:40 AM
I must say the Val is also a extreemly good dogfighter, it was used pretty much as one in the first year of the pasific airwar after releasing its bombs
I use it with surprisingly positive results online because no one thinks it it can do much
but it is as deadly as a Ki-43 if you engage it in a close dogfight, hmmm
have anyone tried out the Val against the Ki-43?