PDA

View Full Version : Cockpit trim control visuals?

drose01
02-28-2005, 04:30 PM
When I set my trim, is there any visual control that I can look at in the cockpit to see where the setting is?

If I could see a lever/knob/etc that corresponded to where it is set at, it would help to make adjustments. I know that on each aircraft, the controller would be in a different location.

Does this make sense to anyone...?

3.JG51_BigBear
02-28-2005, 05:27 PM
They're there in all the cockpits but only work on the newer models. Look the P-51 for instance, on the left side of the cockpit there are two black knobs and a black wheel mounted on the left wall of the cockpit kind of under where a real pilots left knee would be. The knobs are for elevator and rudder, and the wheel controls the elevator trim.

3.JG51_BigBear
02-28-2005, 05:28 PM
PS. Not all planes have trim for every control surface. Just throwing that out there.

horseback
02-28-2005, 09:58 PM
Unfortunately, most of these controls don't give a clear indication of the trim angle that can be 'read' at a glance anyway. In the real thing, a pilot was largely dependent on his inner ear and the seat of his pants.

We are dependent on the needle and ball, with some help from the altimeter and the angle of our wrists as we try to keep the plane level...

As a rule of thumb, I try to increase or lower rudder trim in proportion to the amount of throttle (more throttle, more torque; more torque, more trim), and adjust my elevator trim in proportion to speed (the faster you go, the more your nose wants to rise, and the more nose-down trim you have to add. If you're slowing down, you add nose up trim). You have to learn by doing, I'm afraid.

cheers

horseback

Platypus_1.JaVA
03-01-2005, 01:09 AM
If you have a slider on your joystick, controlling the trim. You can paint a red mark for neutral trim. This has been a great help to me.

Tallyho1961
03-01-2005, 04:37 AM
To add to the above:

- The Spitfire has a handy elevator trim gauge in the lower left part of the instrument panel directly below the landing gear indicator light.

- RAF aircraft in the sim do not have aileron trim, all US aircraft do.

- I suggest purchasing a book called 'Cockpit' by Donald Nijboer and Dan Patterson. It is devoted exclusively to WWII aircraft and includes most of the UK, US and German a/c in IL2. It's weaker on Soviet and Japanese a/c, but there's enough in there to give you some general pointers. The book features a full-page colour photograph of each cockpit accompanied by a smaller labeled photograph and a 'review' of the cockpit's features and ergonomics.