PDA

View Full Version : Poor Performance

bruckm
08-13-2005, 08:33 PM
Ok, got it up and running on my home computer (the original installation was on my father-in-law's computer while I was visiting). What can I do to get good performance? There is a split-second delay while flying, which now seems to get me killed EVERY time. Actually even the mouse movement before the game loads a scenario is minutely delayed.

Frankly, the performance on my old computer , when using the same video card is comparable and it is only a Pentium III 600MHz. I know the video card is not the best, but shouldn't it play better with the new (bought in january-so new for me) computer?

What should I select in the setup menu? It doesn't offer Radeon 7000, just ATI Radeon or newer ATI Radeons.

What's the difference between Open GL or DirectX? I don't even know what Open GL means.

Anyone else have a Radeon 7000? Or at least know how to fine tune it?

MY specs:

Compaq Presario
AMD Xp3200+, MMX, 3DNow, 2.2 GHz
Radeon 7000 AGP, Chip (0x5159)64MB

Other possible cards:
Riva TNT2 32MB
Blaster banshee 16MB

Thanks in advance.

JFC_Slumped
08-13-2005, 09:09 PM
Your processor is fine. You don't specify how much system RAM you have, but looking at the graphics card that appears to be the source of your problems. Confirmed since you mention the performance on a PIII 600 was no different.

You really need 128MB of video RAM to get a decent frame rate in PF. Other than turning all graphics settings right down there's not alot you can do short of replacing the card.

As for OpenGl/Direct 3D, they're just 3D graphics APIs. In my experience stick with OpenGL.

Gruffysquirt
08-13-2005, 09:24 PM
Download Fraps (fraps.com (http://www.fraps.com)) and run that. Then go into the game and try both OpenGL and DirectX. I've got an ATI card and I have the same issues when I run OpenGL (such as the mouse delay, etc.) See which one gives you higher frames per second and stick with that.

Also, play around with the graphics settings. There are a lot of them, and if you have the patience to play with each one individually you can get settings that give you a good frame rate without sacrificing too much "prettiness"

fordfan25
08-14-2005, 01:09 AM
my best advive for you is if you have the extra cash on hand then get your self a new card. 6600gt would be great for you. there around 180$ USA "aka real monaaaay" or if budget is tight like mine lol then find an 9600pro or 6600 "nongt". also make dag nast sure you got at least 512 ram. things you can do to help out till then is just start cuting down options till you geter playble.

openGL is pretty much what most people use for two resones 1# it allows for perfect mode and #2 it seems to run better than DX how ever on my old dell DX gave a little better FPS. like the guy above said down load FRAPS "theres a free version " and run iot while you play. have it running while you play the track "black death" use that track to help you tune your settings. get that track to play with an AVG of at least 20 fps and you should be ok.

fordfan25
08-14-2005, 01:13 AM
o and also when ever posable play in wounder woman view "cockpit off" it is not realistic but it can save ALOT of fps specialy on old cards.

Atomic_Marten
08-14-2005, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by Gruffysquirt:
Download Fraps (fraps.com (http://www.fraps.com)) and run that. Then go into the game and try both OpenGL and DirectX. I've got an ATI card and I have the same issues when I run OpenGL (such as the mouse delay, etc.) See which one gives you higher frames per second and stick with that.

Also, play around with the graphics settings. There are a lot of them, and if you have the patience to play with each one individually you can get settings that give you a good frame rate without sacrificing too much "prettiness"

You can easily check fps with this procedure in game:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Once when in cockpit press SHIFT+TAB
<LI>Console windows will pop up.
<LI>Type: <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">fps START SHOW</span> - it is case sensitive.
<LI>Hit ENTER[/list]

And you will have fps rate in the top of the screen marked in red.

Atomic_Marten
08-14-2005, 02:58 AM
bruckm mate, do not torture yourself with that old VGA. I have FX5600 which is a space shuttle for your listed VGA cards but I can't get the game to run on 'Perfect' settings.

My specs.
Athlon 3200
1GB RAM
FX5600 256MB

fordfan have said good... you *must* get yourself a better card. There is no way around.

BTW I also plan to get myself new card - 6600 or 6800.

Btl_Avon
08-14-2005, 03:10 AM
It could be that you graphic drivers were not install correctly during the installation process.

Way back when I have a nvidia card a few years ago, this happened to me occasionally. The game paused every 30 seconds on load up screen and in game. It turn out the opengl drivers were not operating properly.

Try reinstalling your drivers. At each stage of the process turn off your computer until you have installed and setup your monitor preferences.

Dew-Claw
08-14-2005, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by Btl_Avon:
It could be that you graphic drivers were not install correctly during the installation process.

Way back when I have a nvidia card a few years ago, this happened to me occasionally. The game paused every 30 seconds on load up screen and in game. It turn out the opengl drivers were not operating properly.

Try reinstalling your drivers. At each stage of the process turn off your computer until you have installed and setup your monitor preferences.

...And on that note:
try several of the different driveers available for your brand of card.
I've found different drivers give different performance.
There are some real good beta drivers out there.

bruckm
08-16-2005, 08:52 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies. I guess I didn't select the email notification box when I posted. I didn't think anyone had replied since I hadn't received any emails.

It's 512 mb ram on the motherboard.

Money is tight and It'll be January before I'll have the Christmas/Birthday money combined to buy a new card. I was hoping that there would be a much cheaper solution. It played great on my father-in-law's computer and I got spoiled while we were there.

This card was my 'upgrade' on my last computer. Funny, that video performance seems to be a recurring theme! In fact all of the cards that I listed, still have 'em all too, were upgrades along the way.

OpenGL is horrid 2-3 sec delays on everything.

bruckm
08-16-2005, 08:58 PM
When you say need 128 mb on video card would that be a significant improvement over my 64mb? Such as instead of 1/4 of a sec delay, only 1/8? Or would it likely be logarithmic 1/64? Don't want to invest rare excess capital for miniscule improvement.

Originally posted by JFC_Slumped:
Your processor is fine. You don't specify how much system RAM you have, but looking at the graphics card that appears to be the source of your problems. Confirmed since you mention the performance on a PIII 600 was no different.

You really need 128MB of video RAM to get a decent frame rate in PF. Other than turning all graphics settings right down there's not alot you can do short of replacing the card.

As for OpenGl/Direct 3D, they're just 3D graphics APIs. In my experience stick with OpenGL.

Kuna15
08-17-2005, 03:18 AM
I am not some hardware expert myself, all I can tell you *for sure* that VGA RAM does not have direct link to VGA performance. Other words, I have 256MB card (you can see my specs above), but there are t0ns of better 128MB cards on the market now. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I can suggest, that if you have some friend that follows the newest hardware trends (probably due to too much $ in pocket http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif) ask him when he will change his VGA to newest one and for what price he will sell his old one (that VGA is usually still among the best on the market). That way you can get yourself a best possible deal.

JFC_Slumped
08-17-2005, 08:03 PM
In other graphics card buying advice, never go for the budget version (nVIDIA terms usually MX or XT) of a given card. Money would be better spent buying a standard or faster version of a lower card (again in nVIDIA terms normally GT).

Buying a budget card just gets you hardware with a longer feature list, but not the speed to actually use them practiacally. I know this from experience http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

So for an example, go for a 6600 over a 6800XT or whatever it's called.

JR_Greenhorn
08-17-2005, 10:05 PM
@bruckm,

The others offer good advice here, and your best bet is to upgrade your card. However, you obviously want to play PF in the mean time, and for that I can offer some tips. All of my FB, AEP, and PF flying time has been on rigs well below minimum specs.

The first thing you must do to fly smoothly, is switch to DirectX instead of OpenGL. I haven't played FB on a low end rig yet that didn't prefer DirectX.

Next, go into the graphics and sound menus and decide what you can live with and what you can live without. For a really low-end graphics card, start stepping down the resolution settings until fps starts to increase or graphics become unbearably bad.

Once you find a happy resolution, bring down all the display settings to minimum. Reduce both the ingame options as well as the options accessable in the config utility.
Obviously, the graphics will suck. Now, start turning back up the things that are objectionally poor, one notch at at time, until the game looks acceptable. By setting graphics at the minimum limits like this, you won't have a game that will fly smoothly until you get into the action, then freeze. If you set graphics to their minimums, it will either be workable or not.

You can further fine-tune the graphics by learning how to modify the config.ini file. There are guides for doing this available around here. For example, I really don't care what the water looks like in my game, but I object if the terrain is too poor. So, I go into config.ini and set water=0 under the DirectX heading.

Finally, if you aren't playing online, consider running a previous patch version. I found performance on a low-end machine peaked around version 3.01 or so. By this I mean that game performance increased with each patch until 3.01, then decreased with each subsequent patch. The current 4.01 is quite taxing on a low-end processors. I don't know how your setup will handle it, but try both and see what runs smoother.

If you keep tuning, you can get by with low-end junk until you can afford to buy up-to-spec hardware. Obvioulsy that isn't the best choice, but it's better than not playing at all.

Bearcat99
08-18-2005, 04:50 AM
No matter what you do that video card will clog up your system. Your RAM will be the other factor. I suggest you lower your settings first off and go here (http://www.pricewatch.com/) and try to find a video card. Even something in the $100-$150 range will be better than what you have now. Skip lunch for a month. The 7000 is at least a 6 year old card... Forget about the other cards you mentioned. They will be worse. You will be amazed at what a new card will do with that system.. even if you cant do the RAM now.

bruckm
08-18-2005, 06:51 PM
Thanks all for the help.

Bearcat,deep down I know you are right, but I don't want to admit it as that means that realistically I won't play it until January. There's just no way that I'll garner $150 for a new video card. When we bought this in January it was supposed to be THE UPGRADE and that was it. 6 years old??? Man am I slow to catch on! Of course 4 little kids at home will do that to you. I know how to play go fish! again though.

bruckm
08-22-2005, 09:49 PM
Ok, what about these cards? Are any of them the solution? I found them at a local store where I still have some giftcard money. They are all around $120. Also, is there any difference between PCI and AGP other than slot availability?

GeForce FX 5500 OC
PCI 256 MB DDR
or
GeForce FX 5500 OC
AGP 256 MB DDR

Radeon 9550
AGP 8x/4x
256MB DDR

bruckm
08-22-2005, 09:56 PM
By the way, here is my original video card info. It is/was integrated into the motherboard (Compaq). This is worse than the Radeon 7000, right?
----------------------------------------------
Primary display device

Description : VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP
Manufacturer : VIA/S3G
Video Memory : 64 MB

Main Driver : vtdisp.dll

partic_3
08-23-2005, 12:17 AM
Bruckm, did you mention you have kids? Well, there's your solution! My wife was doing some work on inter-country adoption a few years ago and you wouldn't believe what you can get for a healthy youngster on the US adoption market!
I tried to convince her to flog one or two of our youngens but she wouldn't go for it. Sheesh, women! I mean, they're a renewable resource! And making them is such fun...

griego
08-23-2005, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by bruckm:
Thanks everyone for the replies. I guess I didn't select the email notification box when I posted. I didn't think anyone had replied since I hadn't received any emails.

It's 512 mb ram on the motherboard.

Money is tight and It'll be January before I'll have the Christmas/Birthday money combined to buy a new card. I was hoping that there would be a much cheaper solution. It played great on my father-in-law's computer and I got spoiled while we were there.

This card was my 'upgrade' on my last computer. Funny, that video performance seems to be a recurring theme! In fact all of the cards that I listed, still have 'em all too, were upgrades along the way.

OpenGL is horrid 2-3 sec delays on everything.

Simple solution here. Turn down the graphics.
go from Perfect to excellent and if that doesn't clear up the problem turn it down some more.

Unless you want to spend a lot of money and still not get the fps that you think you should get.

Even if you got a top of the line cpu and graphic card Water=3 still causes probems. Not to mention the graphic errors with the with the new Nvidia drivers for there newest card the 7800 series. When you try to max out the graphics.

Simple solution turn graphics down.