PDA

View Full Version : Proof EOA not at same time as DRC?

compucat35
07-26-2005, 03:01 PM
I just looked at the info for EOA at Ubi's US site: "Embark on an epic journey into the heart of a shattered empire as the only explorer who can still save it - or destroy it with the wrong choices."

As the "only explorer", does this mean that DRC is not around at the time? Or just that Yeesha & Esher don't trust them?

Also, apparently only 1 choice can be correct. Appears as if the other character can "destroy it" if we make the wrnog decision to side with them.

Lastly, to go to the "heart of a shattered empire" I hope means going into the tunnel. I saw those pics of it...maybe it can actually occur.

Thoughts?

GadrenURU
07-26-2005, 04:27 PM
Myst V COULD be after Uru...since the DRC left before To D'ni. there was a "sole explorer" who solved the Ages in To D'ni and PotS...so sometime after that, the same lone explorer could undertake this new quest.

Alahmnat
07-27-2005, 01:29 AM
I'm still betting it's before Uru, personally.

Coronagold
07-28-2005, 05:14 AM
If it's before the DRC, it's kinda pointless to "save D'ni" knowing that the DRC will fail in the future. Are we supposed to be setting up D'ni for them? When the DRC find D'ni it's in shambles & pretty unsafe. Is that how we're supposed to set up D'ni for the DRC?

Save D'ni & witness the demise of Myst! Sounds kinda anti-climactic.

compucat35
07-28-2005, 05:24 AM
Yeah, you would think either EOA occurs not far after Revelation before the DRC, or after DRC fails. Not during the restoration. I'm still thinking before Uru.

Deg__
07-28-2005, 06:18 PM
I think it occurs after the DRC has abandoned the restoration effort (after Uru). But that's just my guess.

Cheers,
- Deg -

JustBrett
07-29-2005, 06:06 AM
I'm with Deg. I think M5 will wrap up the whole storyline, including the Uru storyline. Besides, the survivor on Noloben didn't know English during Uru. Esher would have had to learn it afterwards.

Mysthints
07-30-2005, 02:42 PM
I'm with Deg, too. Yeesha looked a bit older in the gameplay clips. Uru-Yeesha looked early 20s, Myst V-Yeesha I'd gauge at about 40. Just speculation, but we'll know for sure in Sept...

Coronagold
07-30-2005, 08:19 PM
Yeah, I gotta lean toward the idea that MV will be after Uru. That means the DRC will be mentioned or hinted at. That leaves me thinking...how far in the future will this take place?
If Yeesha 'looks' 20 in Uru & 'looks' 40 in MV...

We know she has a much longer life-span than normal humans. Could this be set 80 years into the future?

bowendesign
07-31-2005, 05:45 AM
I would be very suprised if they stuck to any of the mythos of Uru unless it's just to appeal to fans. Cyan are quite willing to bend or break their own rules within the games, so second-guessing their moves, whilst fun, is a little pointless.

I'd imagine, and hope for, that Myst V closes off the family saga and that only. I personally feel (and know I'm not alone) Uru's overcomplication of the fantasy saga was unwise and unnecessary, plus it brought in many questions as to how to suspend disbelief within games. It might've seemed like a good idea given the MMO context, but the lack of involvement with the times past, for me at least, coupled with the plethora of sudden unknown characters for those outside the Myst fanbase wasn't a particularly wise move in making a game that would appeal to a wide range of gamers - something that an MMO needs to work (witness the Matrix titles recent server shrinkage).

So, here's hoping that the DRC is only alluded to in a small nod to the fans, rather than actually taking involvement in what should be a small, involving saga that neatly ties off the story of Atrus and his family.

Alahmnat
07-31-2005, 07:01 AM
I'm going to indulge in a little bit of hidden knowledge to back my position up... those who were at Mysterium got to see amovie that Cyan sent. It was about a minute and a half to two minutes long, and was a long narration by Atrus... I was under the impression it was an unreleased trailer, but Ran, who was in charge of running the movie, said its filename meant it could have been part of the game's intro, so turn back now if you really want to avoid knowing any more http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

Space...

Anyhoo, Atrus sounds incredibly depressed... he's lost his entire family, including Catherine, and he fears that his burden of restoring D'ni may crush his daughter, Yeesha (which to me implies things haven't gone very well on Releeshahn...). From the way he said it, and the way Uru ends, with Yeesha writing a note back to her father saying his burden has been lifted, I think we're going to be encountering Yeesha before her restoration efforts in Uru, before she gained the power that she had at that time (and let's face it, for being almost 150, she looks way too young in Uru, so something is up there...). I don't think it's necessary for this game to come after Uru for its effects to be relevant or important... from what I understand we're trying to help the D'ni through something in this game, not re-populate the Cavern with newcomers (and Bahro...) as in Uru. It's possible that whatever we do in this game will effectively close the door on the D'ni being involved (ushering in Uru's state of affairs) and wrap up retro-actively just why Yeesha has such a thing for the Bahro.

Coronagold
07-31-2005, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Alahmnat:
I think we're going to be encountering Yeesha before her restoration efforts in Uru, before she gained the power that she had at that time

The few video clips & soundbites we see & hear of Yeesha in the game footage shows her as very proud. She even stares at us for a while when we ( or she) links into a node. She acts the same way as she did in Uru.

bowendesign
07-31-2005, 09:30 AM
I'm going to indulge in a little bit of hidden knowledge to back my position up... those who were at Mysterium got to see amovie that Cyan sent. It was about a minute and a half to two minutes long, and was a long narration by Atrus... I was under the impression it was an unreleased trailer, but Ran, who was in charge of running the movie, said its filename meant it could have been part of the game's intro, so turn back now if you really want to avoid knowing any more http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

Space...

Anyhoo, Atrus sounds incredibly depressed... he's lost his entire family, including Catherine, and he fears that his burden of restoring D'ni may crush his daughter, Yeesha (which to me implies things haven't gone very well on Releeshahn...). From the way he said it, and the way Uru ends, with Yeesha writing a note back to her father saying his burden has been lifted, I think we're going to be encountering Yeesha before her restoration efforts in Uru, before she gained the power that she had at that time (and let's face it, for being almost 150, she looks way too young in Uru, so something is up there...). I don't think it's necessary for this game to come after Uru for its effects to be relevant or important... from what I understand we're trying to help the D'ni through something in this game, not re-populate the Cavern with newcomers (and Bahro...) as in Uru. It's possible that whatever we do in this game will effectively close the door on the D'ni being involved (ushering in Uru's state of affairs) and wrap up retro-actively just why Yeesha has such a thing for the Bahro.

Thanks Alahmnat, that clears a lot up. My main worry is if they were to get to far into the backstory presented by the books and Uru, thus effectively confusing people who aren't quite as "into" the Myst saga as a good portion of the fanbase is.

Hopefully this is well-handled storytelling that doesn't fudge the set-up in-game, with clear scripting (read: unlike Zhandi and Yeesha in Uru) that talks directly to those who're buying it as a Myst title which continues the story without muddying it.

*possible spoilers for people who haven't played the entire saga*

The other titles work in the series because the storytelling is basic, but effective. The first game is a clear choice between Atrus and the two brothers. The second introduces Gehn as the bad guy and has you on a rescue mission in a world Gehn has destroyed. The third has someone affected by the two brothers take revenge on Atrus and accidently ensaring a stranger. The fourth introduces the two brothers and puts the family in peril, with a neat twist (however poorly acted the game is) at the end.

Hopefully, they introduce the Bahro and Yeesha in a gentle enough fashion for those with no interest or knowledge in reading up about the convoluted history of the D'ni fashioned through the books and Uru.

So, you have Esher who'll guide you through it through clear scripting, Atrus as a mild introduction, and Yeesha who may more may not represent a bad gal who's been affected by her brothers meddling. Myst IV gave some nice psychological setup to her - from being an innocent girl to having her entire head messed with.

I hope it turns out this way so it can be a game everyone can enjoy.

compucat35
07-31-2005, 12:00 PM
Nice info there Alahmnat. I wonder what happened to Catherine. Some closure on her would be nice as well. And like the other posts, said, this can get a little too confusing to novice players adding the Uru/DRC storyline.

uecasm
08-03-2005, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by Coronagold:
The few video clips & soundbites we see & hear of Yeesha in the game footage shows her as very proud. She even stares at us for a while when we ( or she) links into a node. She acts the same way as she did in Uru.
"Very proud" is consistent with before Uru -- in Uru she said that she was nearly overwhelmed by her pride in her creations (almost Gehnlike) before coming back from the edge and going on the whole Bahro/Grower trip. (Though that's kinda freaky in a different way.)

Mysthints
08-09-2005, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by bowendesign:

Hopefully, they introduce the Bahro and Yeesha in a gentle enough fashion for those with no interest or knowledge in reading up about the convoluted history of the D'ni fashioned through the books and Uru.
I have a feeling that if this is pre-Uru like Alahmnat said, that this will be the case. Cyan is most likely re-working aspects of Uru's storyline to fit with the whole of the series, introducing the whole Bahro thing for new players. I'm just wondering what the time period will be set in, because like Alahmnat said, Yeesha looked way too young to be 150 in the present day in Uru. Yeah, Yeesha will have a slightly longer life time, but not that of the average D'ni, since she's only 1/8 D'ni blood. The events of Myst V should still probably be the late 1800s.

riven2000
08-09-2005, 07:03 PM
Here's another (convoluted) 2 cents' worth...

What if Myst V takes place however many years after Revelation (1800s) from the player's perspective, but for Yeesha it's long _after_ what she did in Uru?

How do I get to this, you ask? In the E3 game footage, Yeesha looks quite a bit older to me than the teenager in Uru. Her hair seems a bit grayer and her tattoos a bit more faded. And since she was able to link across time in Uru, things don't have to be happening in the same order as they are for us. From her perspective, she may have done her time in Uru years ago, and has now come back to her "own" time, a few years after Revelation.

Alahmnat makes a good point though, about Yeesha's note to Atrus in Uru, "Your burden is lifted". That would seem to be the last of her efforts to help him.

Who knows. Guess we'll find out soon enough.... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Jnathus
08-17-2005, 08:03 PM
I'm betting it's AFTER URUjust because Alahmnat is betting it's before.. :-)

Just kidding

Or am I . .. :-)

I'm still betting it's before Uru, personally.

JustBrett
08-17-2005, 10:50 PM
I always think twice before disagreeing with Al, but I'm sticking to my prediction of after Uru.

But, what are we going to do if Cyan manages to avoid giving us any dates or other incontrovertable evidence as to the time frame? The arguments could rage on for YEARS. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

uecasm
08-18-2005, 03:40 AM
You say that like it would be a bad thing :P