PDA

View Full Version : Navigation

AirbusA340-300
09-29-2004, 03:22 PM
Im still very very new to the game, and am used to flying an F-15 and SU-27 in lomac with awacs and all the onboard comps and flying airbus A340-300 and 737NGs in flightsim, and am totaly lost in navigating in IL2, like when i hear, vector 180 height 05, sometimes my leader turns and sometime not, why is that, does all flights in my vicinity share the same frequenct, kind of like airliner air traffic controll? and how do i stay with my flight in a dogfight, i always get lost and hear then screaming, what the hell? stay on the leaders course, vecto 180 height 05?
i would appreciate any help.
adam

AirbusA340-300
09-29-2004, 03:22 PM
Im still very very new to the game, and am used to flying an F-15 and SU-27 in lomac with awacs and all the onboard comps and flying airbus A340-300 and 737NGs in flightsim, and am totaly lost in navigating in IL2, like when i hear, vector 180 height 05, sometimes my leader turns and sometime not, why is that, does all flights in my vicinity share the same frequenct, kind of like airliner air traffic controll? and how do i stay with my flight in a dogfight, i always get lost and hear then screaming, what the hell? stay on the leaders course, vecto 180 height 05?
adam

Raider_356th
09-29-2004, 03:32 PM
S`

ok, everything u know about navigating with VOR and ILS, forget it...dont have that in here...all u got to use is a compass... we dont have full world to travel around, we have maps like Rainbow Six 2 and games like that...

When they say vector 180, height 05, it means the heading is 180 (south, numbers on compass) and height 05 is 500m ..and btw, this game uses the meteric sysetm since its european made..

AirbusA340-300
09-29-2004, 03:54 PM
i know, but then they say, for instance vector 180 height 05, my leader doesnt turn and i look at my compass and it says 210 for instance, other times my leader turns? is that because all flights use the same frequency?
adam

Zeus-cat
09-29-2004, 04:47 PM
There is often more than one flight in the air. You are hearing other flight leaders calling out headings. No way to tell them apart from yours I am afraid.

Look at the map before you start and keep track of where you need to go and then you will know if the call is for you. Or use the minimap

Zeus-cat

LEXX_Luthor
09-29-2004, 06:23 PM
Yes, if you can find printouts of FB maps (forgot where) you will find visual nav very immersive over the FB.

Sadly, the FB stars are all Fake, and all the same brightness. The lost LOMAC pilot with no instruments who knows his stars can nav by the totally realistic starry night sky.

Still, I don't know how LOMAC got that Giant Arcade Gaming Moon. The more realistic 1/2 degree apparent diameter of the FB Moon rules!

Lt.Davis
09-29-2004, 08:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AirbusA340-300:
adam <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

sometimes your leader turn and sometimes not. Because when you play the mission, not only your team flying. Other squad also flying their own mission. The use the same radio frequence. So so time your leader turn, because he's the one who radio the reading.

It's very hard to stay with them, just need more time to used to AI habbit. Than you know where to find them.

F19_Orheim
09-29-2004, 10:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LEXX_Luthor:
Yes, if you can find printouts of FB maps (forgot where) you will find visual nav very immersive over the FB.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aa very nice set of maps... best yet

http://holubi.webzdarma.cz/mapy.php

Tully__
09-30-2004, 05:16 AM
Compass and pilotage in this game.

As you have surmised, all flights in your airforce are on the same frequency. Double check against your planned course before believing anything you hear.

As far as the leader screaming at you for not following, ignore him. The criteria for triggering that message is a separation of 2-3km (not sure of the exact distance) in combined vertical & horizontal. If you're at exactly the same place on the map but you're at 5000m and he's clipping the grass, you'll still get that message. Ignore it, it has no effect on score or campaign progress. Once the combat has cooled off, then you can worry about rejoining your flight.

One further note, when the leader want you to rejoin and is giving you a vector, he's often giving you heading from him to you. In order to fly to him you will likely have to fly the reverse heading (180 degrees out).

TgD Thunderbolt56
09-30-2004, 07:17 AM
Wow! nice post Orheim. Those maps are a good find.

TB