PDA

View Full Version : O.T. Another Pioneer Passes Away.....~S~ SEMPER FI!!

Bearcat99
04-21-2005, 07:01 PM
Frederick Branch
(1923 - 2005)

The first African American commissioned officer in the US Marine Corps, Frederick C. Branch, died Sunday in Philadelphia at the age of 82. After studying at Johnson C. Smith University in Charlotte, N.C., he transferred to Temple University, from wherehe was drafted into the Marine Corps in 1943 Branch went to boot camp at Montford Point Camp, N.C., today known as Camp Johnson. Montford Camp was a segregated Marine Corps training facility near Jacksonville, created in 1942 to train African American Marines. After serving s one of 20,000 African American Marines in WW2 he was commissioned on the Marine Corps' 170th birthday- Nov. 10, 1945. The Marine Corp had barred African Americans all together until President Franklin D. Roosevelt forced the opening of their ranks with a 1941 executive order, though training remained segregated until 1949. After applying for OCS at Quantico Branch was not only denied but humiliated as well. "They told me to shut up that blanketty blank stuff about being an officer," he said in an interview. "You ain't going to be no officer."

Truly a pioneer. While it is true that we have many many problems in the United States... it is plain to see that we as a nation have come very far. The fact that it was just 60 years ago that things were so very drastically different just gives me some hope for the future and a great deal of pride in the past.

SEMPER FIDELIS
<span class="ev_code_RED">~!</span><span class="ev_code_WHITE">S</span><span class="ev_code_BLUE">!~</span>

Saunders1953
04-21-2005, 08:12 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

shinden1974
04-21-2005, 08:43 PM
OOh-rah, and Semper Fidelis. RIP devil-dog.

Been to camp Johnson a few times during my time in the Corps. there's an awesome Beirut memorial there.

darkhorizon11
04-21-2005, 10:00 PM
Salute!

For the record I'm Irish, but that hasn't effected how impressed I am with African Americans and the significant role they played in World War Two. The Tuskegee Airmen Red Tails argueably the best Pursuit Squadron in the USAAF.

Ironically, in my WWII history course earlier today the prof. lectured for a good portion of the class about race topics in the military and how WWII basically flipped the military view on race 180 degrees.

JFC_danger
04-21-2005, 11:14 PM
S!~.

Freycinet
04-22-2005, 03:14 AM
Hmmm, Black soldiers in the Northern army ended up recieving equal pay during the civil war. Then it went downhill from there for almost another 100 years, until equality appeared again...

Acc. to general Powell, the US army has been a great equalizing institution in the US, accpeting black soldiers as equals long before the surrounding society did. As an officer in his youth he was stationed in the segregated south, entrusted with commanding companies of white soldiers, but stil not allowed to buy a snack in a civilian restaurant outside the base...

darkhorizon11
04-22-2005, 11:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Freycinet:
Hmmm, Black soldiers in the Northern army ended up recieving equal pay during the civil war. Then it went downhill from there for almost another 100 years, until equality appeared again...

Acc. to general Powell, the US army has been a great equalizing institution in the US, accpeting black soldiers as equals long before the surrounding society did. As an officer in his youth he was stationed in the segregated south, entrusted with commanding companies of white soldiers, but stil not allowed to buy a snack in a civilian restaurant outside the base... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AFAIK during WWII all US soldiers were paid the same, no matter what race. The catch of course was that it was much harder for an African American to rise through the ranks than a white soldier.

masaker2005
04-22-2005, 11:26 AM
Rest in peace comrade. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif ( not joking)

Siwarrior
04-23-2005, 01:00 AM
~S~
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

pcpilot_MGG
04-23-2005, 10:04 AM
I've nothing but respect for these fine men who suffered so much for their country, often at the hands of their countrymen.

Rest in Peace Marine...Semper Fi mac...

Treetop64
04-23-2005, 11:08 AM
If the Army and the Navy
Ever looked on Heaven's scenes,
They will find the streets are guarded
By United States Marines!

Oooh-Rah!

RIP, Leatherneck.

Crash_Moses
04-24-2005, 08:01 AM
Semper Fi...

darkhorizon11
04-24-2005, 10:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Freycinet:

Acc. to general Powell, the US army has been a great equalizing institution in the US, accpeting black soldiers as equals long before the surrounding society did. As an officer in his youth he was stationed in the segregated south, entrusted with commanding companies of white soldiers, but stil not allowed to buy a snack in a civilian restaurant outside the base... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah those military grunts are equal oppurtinity @sskickers! I believe the military was de-segragated in 1947, pretty much a full 10 years before desegragation really became an issue in the hearts and minds of the American public and the Civil Rights movement.